PDA

View Full Version : Kind of TMI: When should I be concerned? Period issue...

AnnieW625
09-16-2013, 05:34 PM
I cycle every 24-28 days and have since DD2 was about 8 months old (she is now 3 yrs., 4 mos. old). Usually days 2 or 3 are pretty heavy. Today is day 2. In 2 hrs. I have been through 3 super Playtex Sport tampons (all that I have at my desk, and I bought them because Target was out of the Super Plus non scented tampons). I can sneeze at my desk and feel the extra blood come through. I did some cardio at lunch (35 minutes of elliptical) and soaked through that tampon in an hour. I wish I would go through a heavy pad at night but I don't (that would make my life a lot easier). I might go through two regular long pads from the time I get home until I wake up at 5:30 am and even on heavy days the pad I wear overnight isn't nearly all that soaked.

So when should I worry if I keep going through tampons like crazy? I have zero urge to try a Diva Cup or wear pads at work during the day so tampons it is.

TIA

(oh and I don't like non applicator tampons. I am still cursing OB all these years later for discontinuing the flushible applicator tampons, those were the best!)

ArizonaGirl
09-16-2013, 05:47 PM
My day 2 is like that, super tampons in 20 minutes.

No thoughts just feeling ya.

I'll be lurking for thoughts

AngB
09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
My first period pp after DS1 was crazy heavy, like a tampon an hour through the day. I called my OB's office to make sure that was okay and they made me come in to make sure everything was okay.
It wouldn't hurt to give them a call. I think she mentioned something like ibprofen could help slow the flow a bit too.

maybeebaby08
09-16-2013, 09:16 PM
I'd call the Drs just to check and make sure, I had a period like that early this year and they said I was ok, but it was good I called. I know you have zero interest in Diva cup, I was the same way, but switched three cycles ago and have noticed a huge difference already, I went from not being able to leave the house for 2 days each cycle because my flow was so heavy to this is completely manageable. I read that a lighter flow was a nice side effect of the Diva. I've had heavy flow since I was a teenage and wish I had switched before. Once you get the hang of it, it's not to bad.

candaceb
09-16-2013, 10:38 PM
When I had a partial placental abruption with my first pregnancy, they weren't concerned about the bleeding unless I was going through more than a pad an hour.

KLD313
09-16-2013, 10:54 PM
I had a period like that recently but it was a one off thing. I remember my mom telling me that happened to her as well and a friend of hers.

PunkyBoo
09-16-2013, 11:36 PM
I'd call the Drs just to check and make sure, I had a period like that early this year and they said I was ok, but it was good I called.

ITA. Make sure the heavy flow isn't causing anemia too. That's what my gyn was worried about when I used to have 21 day cycles before I got a mirena.

ShanaMama
09-16-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't think what you're describing is outrageous, although its a pain. Playtex tampons aren't that fabulous for heavy periods, although I still use them too. They have an Ultra which is a little hard to find. I stock up when I find them (amazon has them) and that's what I use for those heavy days. Then I go down to super plus, super & finally regular as it tapers off.
FWIW, my midwife once told me that any bleeding (period, postpartum) will be heavier in humid weather. I wonder if your cardio workout may have contributed too.

mommylamb
09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
I'd call the Drs just to check and make sure, I had a period like that early this year and they said I was ok, but it was good I called. I know you have zero interest in Diva cup, I was the same way, but switched three cycles ago and have noticed a huge difference already, I went from not being able to leave the house for 2 days each cycle because my flow was so heavy to this is completely manageable. I read that a lighter flow was a nice side effect of the Diva. I've had heavy flow since I was a teenage and wish I had switched before. Once you get the hang of it, it's not to bad.

I am a diva user and a big fan, but I'm baffled as to why using a diva would cause a lighter period flow. What was the reason for this in what you had read on it? For me, I just find the diva economical cost wise and I don't have to change it as frequently as I would a tampon. Plus, I don't like the idea of putting something that has been soaked in chemicals up there.

Honestly, I have no idea if the diva makes my flow lighter. I've never had a super heavy flow, but I've also been using a menstrual cup of some sort for nearly 20 years, so it's hard to compare.

dogmom
09-17-2013, 09:39 AM
How old are you? As you get older periods tend to get heavier.

psimpson3-5
09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't think what you're describing is outrageous, although its a pain. Playtex tampons aren't that fabulous for heavy periods, although I still use them too. They have an Ultra which is a little hard to find. I stock up when I find them (amazon has them) and that's what I use for those heavy days. Then I go down to super plus, super & finally regular as it tapers off.
FWIW, my midwife once told me that any bleeding (period, postpartum) will be heavier in humid weather. I wonder if your cardio workout may have contributed too.

OP - I have a very heavy flow for the first 2-3 days. I do not recall my period being so heavy pre-pregnancy. I found the Tampax Pearl Ultra (http://www.amazon.com/Tampax-Plastic-Unscented-Tampons-Absorbency/dp/B00284B59G) and they work better than most tampons.

maybeebaby08
09-17-2013, 05:46 PM
I am a diva user and a big fan, but I'm baffled as to why using a diva would cause a lighter period flow. What was the reason for this in what you had read on it? For me, I just find the diva economical cost wise and I don't have to change it as frequently as I would a tampon. Plus, I don't like the idea of putting something that has been soaked in chemicals up there.

Honestly, I have no idea if the diva makes my flow lighter. I've never had a super heavy flow, but I've also been using a menstrual cup of some sort for nearly 20 years, so it's hard to compare.

From everything I've read the chemicals make you bleed more. I first read it here and was surprised but also read other places too. I was nervous to switch but I didn't want to keep putting chemicals up there either and I liked the savings. The lighter flow was a bonus.

Binkandabee
09-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Has your Dr. checked for fibroids? Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding and are extremely common.

newbiemom
09-20-2013, 11:05 PM
I have had similarly heavy periods. The first time it happened, I got an ultrasound on my ovaries, then was told I was going through menopause. THen my actual ob/gyn dr told me that as you get older your periods get heavier, especially if you have had kids.

AnnieW625
09-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Has your Dr. checked for fibroids? Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding and are extremely common.

I have not been checked for fibroids. I need to have a pap smear/exam though as I haven't had one in 2 yrs. so I am due.

My period was only super heavy for those four hours last Monday. By Tuesday it was much more manageable, and by Wednesday it was almost gone.