PDA

View Full Version : The nerve of some people (sick kid)

georgiegirl
09-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Ugh, a friend on FB posted pics of her DD (4) at the zoo with the caption "day 4 of 102+ fever. At least we got some fresh air today."

Don't take your feverish kid to the zoo so she can infect other kids!!! And who in their right mind posts about it on FB???

Would you say something bitchy like "glad we didn't go to the zoo today then. The last thing I'd want DS taking home as a souvenir is a virus to share with his newborn brother."

Green_Tea
09-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Aw, poor kid. How old is she?

Gracemom
09-16-2013, 07:51 PM
This drives me crazy too!! My DD was home sick today because her BFF came with us to a girl scout event last week despite being sick with a fever and sore throat!!! I didn't know she was sick until after we were there. We do not need this right now. Now I'm feeling out of it too....Selfish people.

georgiegirl
09-16-2013, 07:51 PM
She's 4. Her mom posted pics of her touching every item at the zoo...train, carousel, photo op places. She looked happy. But if your kid had a fever, keep them at home!!! Or if you need to go outside, go in your own backyard so you don't infect other people.

MamaMolly
09-16-2013, 08:30 PM
I used to work in a zoo and people don't usually think about it, but they could have infected the animals, too. Primates especially. :(

Jacksmommy2b
09-16-2013, 08:47 PM
I hear you, OP!

This is my biggest pet peeve and I have lost friends over it. :(

My kid is asthmatic. A three day fever with sniffles for your kid is a ten day hospital stay for mine. I actually get all panicky when I hear people (especially kids) really coughing in public. I can't even imagine how parents of seriously immunocomprimised kids must feel.

And ETA, I would totally comment something like "I'm so glad J wasn't at the zoo today! Catching 'Kid's Name' cold could send him back to the hospital!"

SnuggleBuggles
09-16-2013, 08:50 PM
See, I thought you were overreacting before reading your 2nd post. Little one, in stroller, not touching anything is different than your scenario. I Assumed strollered. Sigh.

georgiegirl
09-16-2013, 08:52 PM
I couldn't help but respond because it really angers me. I have a newborn and my life would be pure hell if my kids brought this kind of virus home and gave it to the baby.

I wrote. "I'm assuming she's better today since you took her to the zoo. I wouldn't be happy if my kids brought home that kind of virus since it would mean an ER visit for my newborn."

I should have written, "thank goodness we always use LOTS of hand sanitizer when we go to the zoo."

georgiegirl
09-16-2013, 08:54 PM
See, I thought you were overreacting before reading your 2nd post. Little one, in stroller, not touching anything is different than your scenario. I Assumed strollered. Sigh.

That's a different story if its a young kid confined to a stroller, but there were 8+ pics of her doing and touching everything at the zoo.

kaharris83
09-16-2013, 09:03 PM
I hear you OP. Seriously. People just don't get it, or care.

We were at the playground this weekend and this kid was sitting next to my DS1 coughing like she seriously had tuberculosis. All over him. Her dad was laughing. My DS1 has asthma too and like PP ends up in the hospital due to illnesses. It makes me so angry.

BunnyBee
09-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Hopefully the sun was out and ultraviolet-ed away the germs.

MMMommy
09-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Totally inconsiderate of her. Inconsiderate to those she exposed to her daughter's germs and inconsiderate to her sick daughter who should not be at a zoo with a fever of 102. And posting it on Facebook? Just stupid!

PZMommy
09-16-2013, 09:07 PM
I hear you, OP!

This is my biggest pet peeve and I have lost friends over it. :(

My kid is asthmatic. A three day fever with sniffles for your kid is a ten day hospital stay for mine. I actually get all panicky when I hear people (especially kids) really coughing in public. I can't even imagine how parents of seriously immunocomprimised kids must feel.

And ETA, I would totally comment something like "I'm so glad J wasn't at the zoo today! Catching 'Kid's Name' cold could send him back to the hospital!"

This is my situation exactly!!

So many people are just careless and don't think about kids that have health issues. I'd have been furious if my friend posted something like that and would have made a reply.

georgiegirl
09-16-2013, 09:20 PM
OMG. She responded (and tagged me) that no, her DD is still sick but she needed fresh air. Granted it was cloudy and overcast, so it probably wasn't crowded. But still!!! I responded that I was glad I wasn't there today because the last thing my kids need is a long lasting fever. I'm sure I will lose this friendship (but we arent close anyway), but who takes their sick kid to the zoo and let's them touch everything. A cold is one thing, but day 5 of 102+ fevers. And to post it on Facebook and not expect someone to respond.

KrisM
09-16-2013, 09:49 PM
If she needed fresh air, why not a walk around the block or something? In the stroller! Crazy.

georgiegirl
09-16-2013, 10:11 PM
It gets even better.

She just responded,

Wow, did you wake up wanting to pick a fight with someone?

I wrote back,

No. I just think it is inconsiderate to take a child who is too sick to go to school and who has a high fever for many days somewhere where she can infect other children. From your pictures, it is clear she touched many, many things at the zoo. I don't mind if you take a child with a common cold to the zoo or to school, that's fine. Or if she's confined to a stroller, but to bring a child who you know is too sick for school to a place for children just seems very inconsiderate. No one wants to catch whatever virus H has. And for some kids, if could end up with a hospital stay. And the fact that you as surprised when someone says something negative after you admit it in Facebook, I'm just shocked.

I guess that friendship is over. Whatever!

mikala
09-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Yuck. I can maybe see doing a necessary errand like the grocery (and trying not to touch things!) or maybe to an empty park if the kid really needs to burn off some energy but I can't understand going somewhere full of kids and animals that might catch something.

georgiegirl
09-16-2013, 10:24 PM
And I've been unfriended and received a nasty text message too. Whatever. Fortunately, our kids don't go to the same preschool and won't go to the same elementary school either.

Philly Mom
09-16-2013, 10:33 PM
And I've been unfriended and received a nasty text message too. Whatever. Fortunately, our kids don't go to the same preschool and won't go to the same elementary school either.

Wow. That is one heck of a response on her end. She needs to take a step back and look at what she did. I am definitely guilty of not keeping DD locked up the day AFTER a fever but I normally keep her stroller bound or at least away from other people. I would never go to a park or zoo. There are lots of other places you can take a kid to run around without interacting with people. If this kid still has a fever, she should be resting.

wellyes
09-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Jeepers. Putting myself in her shoes, even giving her the benefit of the doubt- if I was dumb / inconsiderate and took a sick kid to the zoo, then got busted for it - I'd be so embarrassed. And I'd delete the post instead of bickering on Facebook.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Yuck. I can maybe see doing a necessary errand like the grocery (and trying not to touch things!) or maybe to an empty park if the kid really needs to burn off some energy but I can't understand going somewhere full of kids and animals that might catch something.

:yeahthat: It's happened with DD, twice, where she had 102-103 fevers for like 4-5 days. it wasn't constant..usually during the day she'd be mostly okay, but then for naptime or during the evening it would spike. it was a pain bc i had to stay home from work, and i felt like i was wasting time bc she was mostly fine otherwise. I did take her to the grocery store and the local park (walkable) which was empty bc it was 6:00am. But at the store she was totally confined in a shopping cart. i would never take my kid to the freaking zoo and let her touch everything. And i DEFINITELY wouldn't post on Facebook and mention it...that's sheer lack of judgment right there.

Melbel
09-16-2013, 11:37 PM
I would be furious too. I have children with asthma who also have immune deficiencies, so a cold can be more serious or difficult to clear. I have overheard moms at the gym discussing that their child was in the gym day care because they were too sick to attend school. It is sad when parents put their own selfish interests (i.e. getting a sick child out of the house, desire to go to the gym) over the safety and well-being of others.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-16-2013, 11:51 PM
I would be furious too. I have children with asthma who also have immune deficiencies, so a cold can be more serious or difficult to clear. I have overheard moms at the gym discussing that their child was in the gym day care because they were too sick to attend school. It is sad when parents put their own selfish interests (i.e. getting a sick child out of the house, desire to go to the gym) over the safety and well-being of others.

Wow. that is just nuts. Who does that???

dogmom
09-17-2013, 09:21 AM
OK, so I admit I was on summer beach vacation one year when it rained, like torrential rain, 6 out of 7 days. On the 7th day my DS got a fever. And yes, I did dose him up with Motrin, make sure he felt OK, and went to the beach anyway. But I would be ashamed to post it on FB! That I also know he gets fevers and no one else in the house gets sick, if he actually was sick with other symptoms, and certainly any GI bug, no way.

minnie-zb
09-17-2013, 10:06 AM
She's mad because someone called her on her stupid behavior. She did not make a good choice and then she backed it up by making an even worse choice (posting it on FB).

Rainbows&Roses
09-17-2013, 12:47 PM
She is a dumba$$ and is putting her child in danger of getting even more sick. I applaud you for calling her out openly. I did the same IRL with a neighbor and he wigged out showing his true craziness. We don't speak anymore which is fine with me. They have made a lot of enemies in the neighborhood for a variety of reasons so it is their loss.

mommylamb
09-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I agree that bringing a sick kid to the zoo is a bad decision. But there is no way I would have reamed her on FB.

MamaMolly
09-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Oh please. She's just embarrassed to be called out on it. Honestly I'm glad you did it. There is PLENTY of fresh air outside her own home.

BabyBearsMom
09-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I agree that bringing a sick kid to the zoo is a bad decision. But there is no way I would have reamed her on FB.

:yeahthat: Totally not cool to bring a sick kiddo out to the zoo. I wouldn't do it with a stroller bound baby either. But, I also would not have commented on the FB.

TwinFoxes
09-17-2013, 01:52 PM

If I couldn't help myself, I would have PMd her rather than post on her wall.

bisous
09-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Some people just don't get how it isn't a big deal for certain populations or groups. Thankfully, we don't have a problem with cold type illnesses usually but I have another SIL who has been to the ER too many times to count. Her child will catch a "cold" and end up with croup, or with pneumonia! I think we all need to be careful and mindful of our most fragile kids.

That said, while I would have kept my very sick child home (especially with a fever!) I confess that I wouldn't think the zoo would be a terribly contagious venue. Maybe I'm thinking of the LA Zoo (which isn't congested in the fall) and my four year olds (both older DSs would have happily stayed in their stroller looking at animals without touching anything.) Would that still be exposing large swaths of the population to our germs? I'm HOPING that is the kind of experience your "friend" had!

Giantbear
09-17-2013, 02:33 PM
I am a very big believer in the power of fresh air and, in the morning when dd's fever is down, will take her on errand runs with me so we can get out of the house, But she is never allowed near other kids, to touch things out of the stroller and knows not to ask anymore to go to the park. Plenty of outdoor toys to play with in our backyard. To take your kid to a park or zoo or where other kids play is simply irresponsible to both other kids and dangerous to your sick kid, whose immune system is already being taxed by whatever they are fighting.

As for calling her out on FB, if you post it on FB, you have to be prepared to receive ALL comments, positive or negative.

janine
09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
She's 4. Her mom posted pics of her touching every item at the zoo...train, carousel, photo op places. She looked happy. But if your kid had a fever, keep them at home!!! Or if you need to go outside, go in your own backyard so you don't infect other people.

Dear lord, maybe this mom should spend less time taking selfies and posting every second of her mundane life on FB and pay attention to her kid!

glbb35
09-18-2013, 12:16 PM
I think your ex friend is embarrassed more than anything else and she knows she is in the wrong. I have an acquaintance on FB from years ago. We used to be in a mom's group together. She posts everything about her life in FB. And I mean everything. It would not faze her to note she took a sick child to the zoo either. And she would post it b/c she posts everything! FBing is such a part of her life she sees nothing wrong in posting anything and everything on FB. I rarely even pay attention anymore it such a PITA. Taking a pretty sick child anywhere is just not a smart thing to do. Who cares if you are tired of being cooped up in your house with only your sick child. You have to think beyond yourself. I was in our local grocery store yesterday and some mom had her obviously sick kid in the cart and he wasn't even sitting, he was hanging out and touching everything. When they went down the fruits and veg. aisle I left. The kid was hanging out all over the shelves of food, hacking away and sneezing on everything. He looked like he felt like hell. She looked like she didn't care b/c she wasn't going to be inconvenienced by him being sick. The whole thing made me sick. As I was leaving I saw an elderly woman complain to a manager about this sick kid all over the store. I didn't stay long enough to see what they did but I was thankful for the woman. Wish I had been strong enough to say something. No one wants to be home stuck inside with a sick child for days on end. And for some people they don't have the means to do anything else, they have to do things when they can and I get that. But you really have to think beyond yourself. Infecting others is not fair and truly thoughtless. I am glad to called her out, even if it was on Facebook and in the open. She published there so she is open to people replying back. What did she expect people to thank her for that?

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

kep
09-18-2013, 12:22 PM
That would (and has) totally irk the h@ll out of me. So selfish. I am also super hesitant to take my new orbs or child with respitory issues to places like the zoo. I'm just too nervous. However, with older siblings in school/sports/activities, some illnesses seem to be inevitable. I only get really crazy in the weeks leading up to a surgery. I am the purell queen. Don't touch my child! Is that a runny nose?? Lol.