PDA

View Full Version : Is 4 years old too early for the Nutcracker?

socaintexas
09-16-2013, 10:25 PM
I got tickets to go see the Nutcracker. My daughters will have just turned 4. Is this going to be a nightmare or do you think it will hold a 4 year old's attention? They were captivated by Disney on Ice, but I fear a ballet may be a little much. Any thoughts?

twowhat?
09-16-2013, 10:33 PM
I think it probably depends on the 4yo. We have taken ours to the symphony and to a musical, but they are totally capable, personality-wise, of making it through those long shows (they do get fidgety but nothing we can't handle).

azzeps
09-16-2013, 10:44 PM
I've taken my 5 year old two years in a row and she enjoyed it. I think you'll have fun!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-16-2013, 11:09 PM
It depends on the kid, and also if you think the Nutcracker would be something they're interested in. If they are really into dolls, dancing, musical performances, that sort of thing. If they liked Disney on Ice they will probably like the Nutcracker.

My DS is 3.5 and he could easily sit through something for 1-2 hours, but probably not the Nutcracker, bc there are no trains in it (lol).

pinkmomagain
09-17-2013, 06:30 AM
I agree it depends on the kid. I took the girls when my middle daughter was 5 and she loved it.
I am going to take the girls again this year and my little one will see it for the first time at age 8.
The NY one is super expensive, so that is why I've waited.
But if you already got tickets, and you think your 4yo can handle it, I'd say go for it. Definitely play the music recording before hand so at least all the music is familiar.

Melaine
09-17-2013, 06:46 AM
my girls saw it at a couple months past 5 and loved it. i would have taken them the year before. They are kind of unique though....had already watched the BBC pride and prejudice through and loved that.

brittone2
09-17-2013, 06:52 AM
I think it probably depends on the 4yo. We have taken ours to the symphony and to a musical, but they are totally capable, personality-wise, of making it through those long shows (they do get fidgety but nothing we can't handle).

I agree. DH and I took DS1 and DD when they were 3 and 6 to a full length Nutcracker, and they were great. 3 sounds positively crazy, but DD was totally enchanted and so excited to go. She got a little fidgety towards the end, but not noticeable to anyone else and it was absolutely fine. We did get aisle seats in the mezzanine for that show so we could make a quick exit if things didn't go well.

eta: DD had been to many performances at that point and we knew it was probably well within her capability to sit and enjoy.

123LuckyMom
09-17-2013, 07:33 AM
We're taking DS this year, and he'll be just turned 5. He's been to several performances and films, so I know he's the kind of kid who will do well. Last year we took him to the Rockettes when he had just turned 4. He did great. It really depends on the children and how well they do in an audience.

hellokitty
09-17-2013, 08:53 AM
The first half is very good and most kids sit through it ok. The second half... not as much. Even my 7 and 8 yr olds were a little bit squirmy through that. I know that my 4 yr old wouldn't do well at the nutcracker at all, but I have seen plenty of little girls sit through the entire thing, and were well behaved.

cvanbrunt
09-17-2013, 09:13 AM
The production scared my daughter when she was 5 or 6. The mouse king was menacing and the cannons were loud.

emily_gracesmama
09-17-2013, 09:26 AM
I took Emily last year at 7 1/2 and she was dying to go, she was the one who asked after watching it at school in music and yeah even she got squirmy in the second act.

socaintexas
09-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone! I got us front row balcony seats on the end so that we can escape as quietly as possible if needed. We are going to see the Gaylord Ice two weeks before, which is the Nutcracker this year, so I am hoping that exposure will help. That is a great idea about introducing them to the music before hand.

Globetrotter
09-17-2013, 10:47 AM
My dd could barely sit through it at seven, and she had taken some ballet! I think it depends on their personality (though she could sit through other things) AND interest.