PDA

View Full Version : iOS, many Gmail calendars...can you test this?

pastrygirl
09-17-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm having a syncing problem and haven't been ale to find the same exact issue described online. I have one gmail account with two calendars, and my husband shares his gmail calendar with me. I don't use any iCloud or local calendars at all. When I add my single gmail account to an iOS device, I can see and access all three calendars. Just wanted to set the stage for this test. This happens on my iPad and iPhone.

Here's the problem. I add an event to any of the Google calendars in iOS. Great, it syncs to Google (seen in any browser and in Mac Mail). Now I edit that event in iOS and change it to a different calendar. It no longer syncs. My iPad has it listed with the new calendar, but Google and my Mac still show it under the original calendar. Any changes made from then on are not synced (time, description, etc.) ...UNLESS I edit in iOS and change it back to the original calendar. From then on, it syncs as if nothing ever happened.

I can change the calendar on my Mac without any issues; syncs to iOS just fine. My husband's Android tablet doesn't allow me to change the calendar assignment once the event is created, so I can't test it on there.

This is driving me nuts because I often change the calendar designation of my events! I don't know how long this has been going on. I use my iPad 99.9% of the time for entering appointments, school calendars, etc., and last night I found out any changes I'd made the past few months didn't actually show up on my laptop.

Anyone want to try this out and report back? THANKS!!!

wendibird22
09-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Never noticed that before but yes happens to me too. I changed the "owner" of an event on my phone but it didn't change in google calendar online. I also created a new appointment on my phone and it synced then deleted that appointment and it wouldn't delete from google calendar online. So, it's not just you. Unfortunately I have no idea what the fix is. I looked all through settings and there doesn't seem to be anything there.

ETA: I was just reading online that there are some fields in the calendar appointment app that google doesn't sync. So I'm guessing that calendar designation isn't something that syncs if that's the only change. What I was reading said to make sure you change another field (like location or change the time by 1 min) and that will force the sync of the other area. I tried it and it seemed to work sort of...I ended up with a duplicate appointment on my online calendar (the original and the new edited version).

pastrygirl
09-17-2013, 09:46 AM
That stinks that you're seeing it, too. I need to figure out where I should log a bug -- Apple or Google?

Just read your eta. I'll try that.

I changed the calendar and the description. Still no sync. The only way it started syncing again was when I made the iOS event match the Google event again.

codex57
09-17-2013, 11:03 AM
That stinks that you're seeing it, too. I need to figure out where I should log a bug -- Apple or Google?

Just read your eta. I'll try that.

I changed the calendar and the description. Still no sync. The only way it started syncing again was when I made the iOS event match the Google event again.

Log with both. I suspect they'll point fingers at each other but Google, being the mail creator, has slightly more ability to fix the problem. A hassle, but they seem willing to work with iOS users. I just took a Mail class with the One on One thing and the instructor said each mail company (Gmail, Hotmail, etc) all have their own quirks. Google does tend to play the nicest with iOS, but it's not 100%.