PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your pesticide

happymommyof2
09-17-2013, 11:32 AM
What kind of pest control sprays do you use? We are having an ant/spider problem. We have not used any type of pesticides around the house. I went by a pest control service this morning. They would spray termidor around the outside perimeter of the house, dust the pipes, and set up baits for us. I tried using terro but they seem to just walk around it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

BunnyBee
09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't think anything works for spiders. Have you tried the homemade Terro?
http://www.food.com/recipe/get-rid-of-ants-ants-ants-203233

Aishe
09-17-2013, 01:24 PM
I don't think anything works for spiders.

I thought that too, but then we used this based on a recommendation from a BBB poster.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y6DNCK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It really did reduce the spider population. We have a serious black widow problem (which I have posted endlessly about here) and I was very pleased with the results. I definitely would not use it inside, though. I think it's probably pretty toxic stuff.

barkley1
09-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Termidor DEFINITELY works for ants. It has helped our spider population , but not eliminated it.

Zukini
09-17-2013, 02:27 PM
For spiders and other bugs, the exterminator sprays delta dust (quarterly) all around the perimeter of the house at the foundation. We also lightly stuff the large cracks and weepholes with pieces of this coppery mesh material that acts as a physical barrier.

I was very skeptical of the spray and its toxicity, and stopped short of demanding he provide us with an MSDS sheet. We're trying to live as green and healthy as possible. But I don't like bugs and had run into one too many.... Frankly this approach has worked for us at multiple houses here in Bug Central (aka Texas) with additional construction turning over dirt (and more bugs) surrounding us in both cases. I am curious to know if anyone has found a more natural and less chemical solution - please share!

catsnkid
09-17-2013, 02:31 PM
My pest control are my cats. No, but seriously for ants I use Terro ant traps which I think are boric acid, and nothing else has worked. I spray bees nests outside and would use a spray repellent outside for spiders. I hate that stuff in my house and wouldn't worry about it except if the spiders were dangerous.