PDA

View Full Version : At what age did your DC....

trcy
09-17-2013, 01:20 PM
I actually have 2 of these questions

1. Use fluoride toothpaste. I am not trying to start a debate about fluoride, DH & I both use fluoride toothpaste and plan the same for DD. If you also use fluoride toothpaste, what age did you switch your DC? The problem is, DD has always been awful about teeth brushing, always a fight from day one. The best luck I have had is letting her do it herself and then I do a quick once over with the toothbrush...still, that is a struggle. I can't imagine how to teach her not to swallow the toothpaste. Any tips?

2. Use a non-tear free shampoo. After the J & J thread I switch to California Baby. And (I know this may get me kicked off the boards) I don't like it. She has pretty thick hair & it is very hard to work the CB shampoo through it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of natural options when it comes to tear free shampoos so I am thinking of just switching to adult shampoo since there are more options. Thoughts? Or can you give me a shampoo rec?

Thanks!

barkley1
09-17-2013, 01:33 PM
We switched DS to a fluoride toothpaste when he showed us regularly he could spit it all out. Probably age 2.5-3. He wanted to switch, though, (to be like a big boy) so was motivated to let us brush them well, and spit it all out. you might search some threads, there have been good ideas about how to get them to let you brush (Is that a monkey in there? or some game like that, etc.). Also, we have a certain toothbrushing song, so DS knows exactly what to expect in terms of where we're brushing and how long it's going to take ('til the end of the song). I have no idea where, but DH learned it somewhere and it's been a hit - talks about brushing our teeth on the top, having so much fun we couldn't stop.....spit it out...brushing our teeth on the bottom.....

We still use tear free shampoo, but I think DS (age 4) could do otherwise if we had to. he's old enough to understand the issue. I like the Kiss My Face brand, in a orange bottle with an elephant on it. Smells SO good. Seems to work fine, but DS have regular to thin hair.GL!

BabbyO
09-17-2013, 01:38 PM
I actually have 2 of these questions

1. Use fluoride toothpaste. I am not trying to start a debate about fluoride, DH & I both use fluoride toothpaste and plan the same for DD. If you also use fluoride toothpaste, what age did you switch your DC? The problem is, DD has always been awful about teeth brushing, always a fight from day one. The best luck I have had is letting her do it herself and then I do a quick once over with the toothbrush...still, that is a struggle. I can't imagine how to teach her not to swallow the toothpaste. Any tips?

Well, I think Stachio was about 2.5-3 yo when we switched to flouride toothpaste. It was once he could spit into the sink reasonably well. Since we use just a tiny smear, if he swallowed some, we weren't too worried. We're working on it with Peanut right now (2 yo). He hasn't gotten the hang of spitting yet, so it will be a little longer. Basically we let the kids "brush" their teeth, then we do "Inspection" where we actually brush. During inspection we practice spitting.
"Say Ahh" - brush bottom teeth
"Spit"
"Say Ahh" - brush top teeth
"Spit"
"Say Eeee" - brush front faces of teeth
"spit"
"Say Blahh" - brush tongue
"Spit and rinsey rinsey"

2. Use a non-tear free shampoo. After the J & J thread I switch to California Baby. And (I know this my get me kicked off the boards) I don't like it. She has pretty thick hair & it is very hard to work the CB shampoo through it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of natural options when it comes to tear free shampoos so I am thinking of just switching to adult shampoo since there are more options. Thoughts? Or can you give me a shampoo rec?

Thanks!

I still use non-tear shampoo on Stachio and he's 4. Well, I use Aveeno Body Wash and Shampoo. (Flame away, you won't change my mind.) There have been a few occasions where I've forgotten to grab the kids wash (so I use my shampoo or DH's) or Stachio has asked to used Daddy's shampoo - and we've ended up with wicked tears at least a few times. If I remember to explain that he MUST keep his eyes closed, and he's not overtired so he'll listen, we're ok. Stachio will probably be using babywash until he's like 6-7 just because I'll still be using it for Peanut.

lizzywednesday
09-17-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm waiting for DD to be more consistent about spitting toothpaste out before I switch to fluoride toothpaste. I don't really worry because our town's water is fluoridated and we are decent about oral hygiene.

I switched DD from the "baby wash/shampoo" stuff last year, which is when I noticed her hair changing texture AND the tear-free stuff just not doing the best job at getting her hair clean.

I use LUSH Fair Trade Honey because it's preservative-free (though not sulfate-free, so it's not perfect) and it's been great. We only need to use a tiny bit because I keep DD's hair short, so we buy at $10 bottle that will last us 4-5 months. We've been using a separate conditioner since she had enough hair to start getting tangled. I liked JASON for kids very well, but I do NOT like the price, so I use Trader Joe's.

Indianamom2
09-17-2013, 01:52 PM
We pretty much use BabbyO's method of tooth brushing. Once a child can spit out the toothpaste leftovers, it's safe to switch to fluoride, but if it's a tiny bit....it's not going to hurt them.

As for shampoo, we've happily used Loreal Kids Tearfree shampoo/conditioner. I have no idea if it's "safe", but it seems to get their hair clean, it doesn't hurt their eyes and it doesn't cost a small fortune.

BabyBearsMom
09-17-2013, 01:55 PM
DD1 switched to flouride tooth paste after her first dentist appointment (so right around when she turned 3). The dentist told us to switch DD2 when she turns 2. She said use a teeny tiny amount so if they swallow it isn't a big deal. DD1 LOVES to spit though so it isn't a problem for us.

DD1 still uses tear free shampoo. We use the Paul Mitchell kids and really like it. It isn't natural, but I don't really worry about that stuff.

carolinacool
09-17-2013, 02:02 PM
DH started using fluoride around 2. Dentist said what other PP have said: a small bit won't hurt them. At 3.5, DS still isn't the best spitter, but I'm not worried. We still use tear-free Suave (ducks) because shampoo still gets in his eyes. He has soft curly hair, though. I'm intrigued by the Paul Mitchell Kids' stuff. I hadn't heard of that. I don't think anything we use is considered "safe."

ilfaith
09-17-2013, 02:02 PM
I tried giving DS1 fluoride toothpaste starting at age 3 and he hated every flavor I gave him until I finally discovered Tom's strawberry. Before that there was just one flavor (I think it was Oral B and came in a container with Little Einsteins) that he would tolerate. So he was really closer to 4 when he started using fluoride toothpaste.

DS2 and DS3 started using fluoride toothpastes around age 2.

As for tear-free shampoo, my kids still use it and they are 9, 7 and 4. DS1 will use whatever is on hand, but I still buy "baby" shampoo for my younger guys. It seems to get their hair clean and nobody has to worry about the sting.

BabbyO
09-17-2013, 02:21 PM
At 3.5, DS still isn't the best spitter, but I'm not worried. This was Stachio last Christmas...now he spits like a champion. He even likes to get artistic with it....much to my dismay! :D

AnnieW625
09-17-2013, 02:28 PM
1. DD1 was 4. DD2 still has not used flouride toothpaste, but I am probably going to switch her soon.

2. Gosh I think DD1 was 3 or 4 and that was for conditioner only and we'd only apply it to the back of her hair. I am sure with DD2 we have also used a bit of regular conditioner as well. DD1 has been using Giovanni shampoo for about the last six months and has been using Ultra Swim for the last couple of weeks. With DD2 she is still using the Paul Mitchell Kids shampoo on a regular basis and probably will for a while. It is really good shampoo, althought it is in no way approved on the "crunchy" scale of the EWG or the BBB.

We have been using Paul Mitchell Baby Don't Cry on DD1 since she was about 2 yrs. old, and the California Baby shampoo I had been using was no longer cutting it and honestly I never really liked it much, but used it because DD1 had really sensitive skin esp. when she was in diapers (and we washed her body with Cetaphil cleanser). I think we started using it on DD2's hair about the same time, maybe a little bit later because DH would just use the Aveeno baby wash on her hair as well. We tried Yes to Carrots Baby Wash/Shampoo with DD2 as a toddler and DH still preferred the Aveeno.

LMPC
09-17-2013, 02:56 PM
We went to fluoride toothpaste around 2 yo when DD could consistently spit. And we still use tear free Burts Bees shampoo.

wellyes
09-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Florida about 2.5. A rice sized amount until they're good at spitting (4?) based on 2 dentists' advice.

We have been using The Honest Company shampoo - body wash from Costco, and it's so gentle it stopped DD's UTIs. I see no reason to switch unless / until body odor becomes an issue.

indigo99
09-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Both of my boys are still using fluoride free. I don't plan to switch DS1 until DS2 is ready. Since we brush their teeth with them on their backs in the bedroom, I haven't even tried teaching them to spit yet. I think they get enough fluoride in their water, and I think that doing a good job brushing is more important.

We like CA Baby, but my boys have fine, short hair. I won't switch until they're both more comfortale having their hair washed though. It still gives them a lot of anxiety, and I don't want to add to that.

catsnkid
09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
We started fluride at 3 1/2 but he was super fussy. Recently he requested the "thomas toothpaste" again (non fluuride) but decided it didn't taste like it used too. Still using tear free,t hough in a pinch I used regular adult conditioner as it he had been very frizzy!

SoCalMommy
09-17-2013, 05:26 PM
DD is almost 3 and isn't very consistent about spitting yet so we have not introduced Fluoride toothpaste.

We still use tear free shampoo and prefer it since even that can sometimes sting her eyes. I like CA Baby, but do not love it. Instead we rotate between Burt's Bees and Aveeno. I am looking into conditioners since DD has tons of curls but so far most things I have found say not for young kids. Not sure they even make tear free conditioners? (I have straight hair so this curly hair thing is new to me).

123LuckyMom
09-17-2013, 05:31 PM
DS switched to fluoride at 3.5, I think. We still use Aveeno baby shampoo, and he's almost 5.

trcy
09-17-2013, 06:42 PM
DD is almost 3 and isn't very consistent about spitting yet so we have not introduced Fluoride toothpaste.

We still use tear free shampoo and prefer it since even that can sometimes sting her eyes. I like CA Baby, but do not love it. Instead we rotate between Burt's Bees and Aveeno. I am looking into conditioners since DD has tons of curls but so far most things I have found say not for young kids. Not sure they even make tear free conditioners? (I have straight hair so this curly hair thing is new to me).

California Baby makes a conditioner that works well for DD. I just don't like their shampoo.

Green_Tea
09-17-2013, 06:46 PM
We used just water until they were around 18 months, and then flouride toothpaste at the advice of our ped. We used a teeny tiny amount - like half the size of a pea. None of my kids have ever had a cavity.

Regular (not tear fee) shampoo we started around 8 or 9. My kids have been washing their own hair since they were 5 or 6, tear free shampoo was the easiest for them to learn with.

joonbug
09-17-2013, 06:51 PM
1. We started using fluoride toothpaste when DD was 2.5-3. She was vary bad about brushing but I stuck with it (usually with her loud protesting and crying) and she eventually got much better. I used very little toothpaste, maybe a third of a pea size maybe even less. She eventually got better, at 3.5 was able to stand still with her mouth open and I would brush a couple seconds and tell her to spit etc. we use an electric toothbrush which makes the whole process much more efficient.

2. DD has ethnic hair, very thick and curly and I stopped using baby shampoos when she was about 2. I was pretty happy with the .Suave Kids... Which has a conditioner in it, but I always follow up with a Pantene conditioner (for adults), otherwise I wouldn't be able to comb her hair at all... I wash her hair only once a week, too.

mackmama
09-17-2013, 08:03 PM
DH started using fluoride around 2. Dentist said what other PP have said: a small bit won't hurt them.

At 2.5yo we use Bee's body wash and shampoo usually.

marymoo86
09-17-2013, 09:08 PM
No help on the fluoride but we use Honest Company shampoo/body wash and it is tear free. Good deal on it at Costco.

hillview
09-18-2013, 10:53 AM
1) at age 3/4 or so -- bad I am sure but they wouldn't brush with the other stuff
2) we still use CA baby (I have a massive 5 gal jug from years ago that we are still working through) that said when we run out tear free isn't a priority.