PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE on Paint Recommendations: Found one!

bisous
09-17-2013, 02:04 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for the recommendations. I have looked and shopped and compared colors and I'm going with...BM Linen White. It is creamy and warm and quite light which turns out to be just what is needed in my dark room! Thank you ALL for your recommendations. I wouldn't have had a clue where to start without them. :)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I am going to finally finish my Master Bedroom before this baby comes! The room has a small window that gets good light much of the day. It is obviously dark at night, lol. My color scheme is green and brilliant white with just gentle touches of salmony pink. I've decided that I want a creamy beige on the walls. I want it to be dark enough to contrast with the white trim and the white bedding but I'm finding that almost everything looks dark when put on a swatch on my walls! I just tried Revere Pewter and it was both too dark and too gray. WAY too dark.

Here's a few images that have paint colors that I like (hopefully this will work!) Do you guys have any great suggestions?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/224757837626797580/

http://projectnursery.com/projects/sawyers-sweet-navy-pink-nursery/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/224757837626571979/

I know this might be a tough one. Looking forward to your recommendations!

acmom
09-17-2013, 02:39 PM
BM Manchester tan? Here is a pic of it in a room. We used it in our basement playroom as a light neutral against white trim and really like it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=manchester+tan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#biv=i%7C0%3Bd%7C3SwqWcAb5aPTzM%3A

bisous
09-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Thank you! Manchester Tan, I'll have to check that out. In some images it looks just right but in some it looks like it might be too dark for the room I'm looking for. I'll get a sample and check it out. It is amazing how much lighting can change the way a paint color looks!

jillmk
09-17-2013, 03:13 PM
We've used BM Everlasting previously and loved it. We also had BM Natural Wicker in a room but I prefer a little more contrast with the white trim. We currently have BM Blond Wood in our kitchen and it looks great with our hardwood floors.

BunnyBee
09-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Edgewood Gray is a half tone of Revere Pewter. If it's too gray, Manchester Tan is about the same depth. I have Bleeker Beige (a little deeper color than Manchester) at 120% in my bedroom. Shaker Beige is a little more tan than Bleeker and less gray. It looked too yellow in my room but works great in another part of the house.

If you like Manchester but it's too dark, you can always get it tinted at 75% or 50%. That's the problem with BM's historic colors--no card to go up and down in depth. :)

Try BM Linen White too--it really depends on how much and what kind of light you get in your room.

bostonsmama
09-17-2013, 03:55 PM
We painted an office/guest bedroom in Behr's Chino (RAH-17), and we got tons of compliments. It's very light in a sunny room, but can read like chinos (khakis) in artificial light. It might be worth color matching into BM if that's the paint you like...although when we went to touch up the paint after...oh...10 years...we couldn't find a sample card to take home (although they could make it in-store at Home Depot).

bisous
09-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Okay, I've been going off google. I think I'm really truly looking for a very light cream rather than a beige. I liked the look of Natural Wicker. I think my room just really intensifies color because it can be quite dark so the fact that it is very light is a real plus. I'll get a sample and see how it looks in my room.

I realized with my experience with Revere Pewter that gray is just not going to work for the space. I hate it because DH said gray would look wrong and he's totally right! I'm one of those that absolutely has to see it in person before I can "see" it, IYKWIM! So off to get another sample...

indigo99
09-17-2013, 03:59 PM
I agree with trying BM Edgecomb Gray (http://www.housetweaking.com/2011/03/04/you-hue-benjamin-moore-edgecomb-gray/) as a good greige with warmer undertones. Our first floor is a color similar to those you linked to (not sure the exact color since it was painted before we bought it). I find it hard to put colors with because it tends to go a little too yellow/putty. I've read ppl complain about edgecomb being too yellow when they wanted grey though so maybe it would work for you.

crl
09-17-2013, 04:03 PM
If Manchester Tan is too dark, try Benj. Moore Marble White OC-34.

Catherine

bisous
09-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Okay, will add Marble White and Linen White to my group of swatches. I'm going to pass on grays for now. I'm absolutely open to Behr but couldn't find (as you mentioned) "chino" color in my search. I have Home Depot gift cards that I'd love to use. TBH, once I find my color I was planning on having HD color match me!

specialp
09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
I have linen white for my trim, ceilings, fireplace, etc. and love it. It has warm yellow/beige undertones vs. grey/blue/cool undertones. Hard to describe, but if you compare linen white to navijo white (I think) you can tell the difference. Both pretty, but it depends on the color you are pairing it with as to what effect you want.

indigo99
09-17-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm going to pass on grays for now.

You can't tell much based on a color's name though so you really have to check out photos.

egoldber
09-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Sherwin Williams Creamy is a lovely color. And also SW Ivory Lace. SW Dover White is a pale cream often used as a trim. SW Napery is one step darker on the same color card as Dover White.

westwoodmom04
09-17-2013, 05:04 PM
I just painted our kitchen Benjamin Moore Monterrey White. I plan to paint our family room the same color, a very creamy/ivory off white. I like creamy too, we used it on our trim on the second floor, it is a bit closer to white though.

Corie
09-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Benjamin Moore "Monroe Bisque"

I got the recommendation here from lmintzer. I painted our basement in Rhode Island with the color. Beautiful.

I loved it so much that I painted our guest bedroom here with it.

marymoo86
09-17-2013, 09:11 PM
We have SW Believable Buff in our foyer and hallways. Love the color with Antique white trim.

http://www.houzz.com/SW-6120-Believable-Buff-Paint

icunurse
09-17-2013, 09:28 PM
We have SW Basket Beige and it looks really nice against white.

Mopey
09-17-2013, 10:15 PM
This is my living room, bamboo blinds and a lot of frames up. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/hazelnutcream

It is warm and sexy and flattering to everyone/everything. We have an eggshell finish.

american_mama
09-17-2013, 10:40 PM
I have three colors of beige/taupe on my dining room. Taupe 2 from the Laura Ashley Line at Lowe's can still be mixed and my store still has all the chips to view, but not to take home. It is light and creamy, with a little pink to it, but it does not contrast enough with the white trim especially in daylight. Taupe 3 might be better. Taupe 4 in daylight does not look much different than Taupe 3, although at night, you see the difference more. So I'd recommend Taupe 3.

nfceagles
09-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Like a pp, i have BM Bleeker Beige in parts of my house and I really like it.

pinkmomagain
09-17-2013, 11:13 PM
We just did a bathroom in BM Wind's Breath OC24. It's nice.

bisous
09-17-2013, 11:20 PM
So many recommendations! My head is spinning. I'm going to go look tomorrow. I'm starting to get an idea of what I think I'm looking for. I'll pick a few samples and try them out the same way I did this time. I must credit my method to crl who advised buying poster board and painting huge swatches of color. Doing that made it abundantly clear that my color was way too dark!

crl
09-17-2013, 11:42 PM
So many recommendations! My head is spinning. I'm going to go look tomorrow. I'm starting to get an idea of what I think I'm looking for. I'll pick a few samples and try them out the same way I did this time. I must credit my method to crl who advised buying poster board and painting huge swatches of color. Doing that made it abundantly clear that my color was way too dark!

So glad that paid off for you! I mention it to everyone like an over the top paint choosing maniac because I want to prevent other people from painting the same bathroom four times in three weeks (yes, I did that).

Catherine

bisous
09-18-2013, 01:06 AM
So glad that paid off for you! I mention it to everyone like an over the top paint choosing maniac because I want to prevent other people from painting the same bathroom four times in three weeks (yes, I did that).

Catherine

I have no doubt that your tip saved me lots of time and money. And it was so easy to do. The nice thing is that I can also bring my swatches into other rooms. One of the best things I've learned here at BBB truth be told!

Binkandabee
09-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Definitely Check out the Sherwin Williams paint strip with Divine White, Kilim Beige, Nomadic Desert, and Latte. Nomadic Desert and Latte will probably be too dark, but Kilim Beige and Divine White are very light! We have a blend of Nomadic Desert and Latte in our master bedroom and it looks fantastic against white trim.

Mopey
09-18-2013, 10:36 AM

My mom is a decorative painter and this is the best tip ever: not only large swatches, but on all walls, different times of day and do a corner to see how intense it gets when it reflects upon itself as well!

crl
09-18-2013, 10:54 AM
My mom is a decorative painter and this is the best tip ever: not only large swatches, but on all walls, different times of day and do a corner to see how intense it gets when it reflects upon itself as well!

I have seen that method too. I really like the poster board instead because (a) you can use one sample in multiple rooms, (b) you don't have big splotches of paint on your walls while you try to decide, (c) the color you are sampling can be separated from the existing wall color to get a better idea of undertones, etc and (d) you don't end up having to prime or paint extra coats to cover up all the splotches on the walls.

Catherine

AnnieW625
09-18-2013, 12:28 PM
No real help with color choices, but I just wanted to say that I prefer Sherwin Williams, Ralph Lauren, or Dunn Edwards to Behr. We used Behr in our living room years ago and it has held up quite well, but it was a pain to spread compared to the other three brands of paint we used in our house. We decided not to use it again. If you are a member of Auto Club you get discounts at both Sherwin Williams and Dunn Edwards. Ralph Lauren Paint (which I believe is Glidden) used to be sold at Home Depot, but it no longer is.

flashy09
09-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Waverly Natural from Lowe's. I think it's exactly what you are looking for! I have it in all my hallways.

MelissaTC
09-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I have SW Biscuit in several rooms here and it is very vanilla.

ilfaith
09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
We have BM Sheraton Beige in our bedroom. It has a bit of a peachy pink undertone, but isn't as dark as the swatch looks online.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/sheratonbeige

We also have Seashell...a more neutral off white in the family room, kitchen, and downstairs hallway.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/seashell

willow33
09-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Definitely Check out the Sherwin Williams paint strip with Divine White, Kilim Beige, Nomadic Desert, and Latte. Nomadic Desert and Latte will probably be too dark, but Kilim Beige and Divine White are very light! We have a blend of Nomadic Desert and Latte in our master bedroom and it looks fantastic against white trim.

Agree with this! I've used all the colors on this strip and love them!

Binkandabee
09-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Agree with this! I've used all the colors on this strip and love them!

The reason I love them so much is there are no undertones whatsoever. It's a totally neutral strip and that's REALLY hard to find. It's strip 16:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6105-divine-white/

indigo99
09-19-2013, 08:24 AM
I got an email that SW has 40% off paints Sept 20-23. That's as good as their sales get, and they can color match.

bisous
10-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Bumping for update!