PDA

View Full Version : I'd post this on FB, but it would probably offend lots of people

georgiegirl
09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
I thought it was super funny though.

http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html?spref=fb

Blue Hydrangea
09-17-2013, 03:02 PM
It was funny! There are a few types of posts that drive me CRAZY. The mundane schedule- "off to the grocery store" type stuff, and dramatic cliff hangers- "I can't believe what just happened!" or "I'm going to regret this..."

I would post it too, but the people who I would want to read it, wouldn't, or wouldn't believe it applies to the them.

bisous
09-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Love all the graphs, lol. I think the vast majority of status updates and posts on FB are obnoxious in some way and probably fall under the categories the author discusses. But I still like it and still go there. The only posts that really annoy me are the people that are so obviously either conceited or insecure and are "image crafting" or "inducing jealously" as the author explains in the post above!

A1icia
09-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Awesome!!!

Thanks for posting.

BabbyO
09-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Hmmmm....maybe that is why I rarely post anything and 99% of my FB activity is commenting on other people's posts....Though I really don't find it annoying to read my friend's post that she will be having her second set of twins in 52 hours. I like getting the reminder and being able to congratulate the family, or a reminder to say an extra prayer that everything goes well for them on that day.

carolinacool
09-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I think the blog is funny, but I think ultimately FB is what each person wants to make it. I'm not sure there is a "proper way to Facebook." So if the blog writer is being tongue and cheek, I think it's funny. But if he's totally serious, I think he falls into one of the categories he wrote about. LOL

Globetrotter
09-17-2013, 03:24 PM
There are a few types of posts that drive me CRAZY. The mundane schedule- "off to the grocery store" type stuff, and dramatic cliff hangers- "I can't believe what just happened!" or "I'm going to regret this..."

Those are my least favorite, too! And the one who goes on about how great her life is and how great her dh is and how good she is at juggling the family and work and her races and parties, and so on..
I don't share negative stuff on FB for privacy reasons, unless it's a general rant, so I'm sure my posts read like this to some extent but close friends know the truth!

wellyes
09-17-2013, 03:27 PM
My favorite is "If you want to say something to me, say it to my FACE not on Facebook!" Pot, kettle.

But generally I'm very tolerant of all kinds of FB posts. Not everyone is a good writer, or socially savvy, or very empathetic, or able to see how they look from the outside.... but we're all just people who want to connect.

Globetrotter
09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
But generally I'm very tolerant of all kinds of FB posts. Not everyone is a good writer, or socially savvy, or very empathetic, or able to see how they look from the outside.... but we're all just people who want to connect.

I agree. If it gets too annoying, I can always hide them :)

indigo99
09-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Not everyone is a good writer, or socially savvy, or very empathetic, or able to see how they look from the outside.... but we're all just people who want to connect.

exactly

trcy
09-17-2013, 03:41 PM
So funny, thanks for sharing.

janine
09-17-2013, 03:59 PM
OMG, I love it. Especially the circle visual graph with arrows. All FB addicts should have that plastered on their IPAD.

Pennylane
09-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Too funny and so true! My favorite part
in the entire article is

"5) Loneliness. The author is feeling lonely and wants Facebook to make it better. This is the least heinous of the five—but seeing a lonely person acting lonely on Facebook makes me and everyone else sad. So the person is essentially spreading their sadness, and that’s a ****ty thing to do, so it’s on the list.

That cracked me up!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Beckylove
09-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Worst statuses:
Pictures of the food you are about to eat at a fancy restaurant
Your workout details. "Crossfit was so hard. I did a million burpees, 75000 mountain climbers, 83000 pull-ups, then ran a half marathon."
Vague-booking. "I can't believe that just happened. " "things will turn around soon"

TwinFoxes
09-18-2013, 04:33 AM
Worst statuses:
Pictures of the food you are about to eat at a fancy restaurant

Nope, the worst are the ones of your dirty plates AFTER you've eaten your fancy meal. I almost hurled this weekend seeing that in my feed.

But what exactly are people supposed to post, if all of these are annoying? I think if you get into med school, brag away! If you are thankful for support, should you really not thank people? I see those posts and am glad my friend has people who love them and help them during rough times. And really, it was annoying to post about Newtown? To me, posting about that on FB felt like my scream in horror. I couldn't actually scream in horror because my girls were home. Seeing my friends' posts about it made me feel like maybe the world hasn't gone completely insane.

I think FB isn't for everyone, or they have too many FB friends, or they are just grouches if they are constantly annoyed.

Pennylane
09-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Umm, no the worst is my friend who posted a picture of her bloody, disgusting toe after getting a bad pedicure. Really, who the heck wants to see that??

Ann

NJ_Mom2011
09-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks OP for sharing this article. I laughed several times. What do y'all do with FB friends who post the mundane aspects of their day, such as saying that they went to the gym, that they finished their paper, etc., besides doing the extreme action of blocking their feed? As the author pointed out, there is nothing on FB equivalent to the eye roll.

That chart the author had for explaining why such posts are so annoying was spot on. Like. ;)

carolinacool
09-18-2013, 09:12 AM
What do y'all do with FB friends who post the mundane aspects of their day, such as saying that they went to the gym, that they finished their paper, etc., besides doing the extreme action of blocking their feed?

I don't do anything. *shrugs* Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for this stuff. The only person I've blocked is a guy from high school who is extremely right winged. While he doesn't do a lot of status updates, a lot of the pages/articles he tends to "like" are sitting just this side of being pretty racist. I also almost blocked a woman who at one point was posting about way too much real-family drama, with family members actually arguing on her page. I didn't find it annoying as much as wildly inappropriate.

So compared to those, please feel free to tell me about the mundane aspects of your day! And show me yummy foods. LOL

AngB
09-18-2013, 09:28 AM
What do y'all do with FB friends who post the mundane aspects of their day, such as saying that they went to the gym, that they finished their paper, etc., besides doing the extreme action of blocking their feed? As the author pointed out, there is nothing on FB equivalent to the eye roll.

I feel kind of sorry for them. Especially the "zumba tonight" "on my way to zumba" "oh man, i hope I make it to zumba" stuff that one friend posts seriously EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. She doesn't have a SO or kids or anything so I guess that is her life, which to me is kinda sad, but then I guess if I posted my life like that "baby is up" 'now toddler is up" ' now baby is up again" "changing a diaper" "meltdown because he wanted to watch Bob, NOT Barney!" ...like that...people would probably feel sorry for me too. :)

I rarely post. Most of FB found out I was pregnant with DS2 when I posted my excitement about passing the 1 hour GD test at 27 weeks (which was a big deal for me as I had GD with DS1 so to not have it at all in the next pregnancy is not that common and pretty awesome.)

almostmom
09-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Oh my gosh, thank you for posting this! Maybe I'm intolerant, but I agree with EVERYTHING he/she said. I have a facebook account, and I check it about twice a week, maybe. But honestly, I dread it! I find it pretty annoying, even though I don't think many of my friends post mundane things anymore. And I have lived all around the country, so I love seeing pictures of friends and their kids who don't live near me. But mostly it makes me feel bad. Oh, your getting a mani and a pedi? Oh, you're sitting on the beach on a beautiful day with your hair flowing in the breeze beautifully? You're relaxed to no end? You take more pictures of your kids than me? Your kid won their baseball league? ... and so on. It gets to me, I'll admit it. Sometimes I think it's the difference between an introvert (me) who doesn't really share about my life to others unless asked and extroverts who are more positive and embracing the world and everyone in them! And I have a really good life, so I have nothing to feel bad about. But facebook can do it...

Again, thanks for posting and putting words on why it drives me crazy!

NJ_Mom2011
09-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks everyone about what you do. I agree. I would continue reading my friend's mundane posts. Liz, I think that there has been a study showing that your reaction is common, as everyone posts only mostly positive things on fb, giving the false impression that everything in their world is super-peachy. It is equivalent to the Christmas mass letters that some people send out.

Btw, baby-related postings that a pp mentioned are never in my book fall into mundane postings. I love hearing about that stuff!

TwinFoxes
09-18-2013, 09:46 AM
What do y'all do with FB friends who post the mundane aspects of their day, such as saying that they went to the gym, that they finished their paper, etc., besides doing the extreme action of blocking their feed? As the author pointed out, there is nothing on FB equivalent to the eye roll.

You can just hide most of their posts. You can pick "only important". Go to the offending friend's timeline. hover over the "friends" button with a check beside the word "friends" (there are two buttons that say "friends") at the top of their page. You will see an option for "all updates" "most updates" and "only important". You can even pick what type of posts you see, like music, videos, status updates, photos. So you can make it so you only see the photos that your annoying friends post.

But I'm like carolinacool, I've only completely hidden one person. I don't know if I'm more tolerant, or my friends just don't annoy me. :)

georgiegirl
09-18-2013, 09:46 AM
I have one "friend" who always posts her workout stats. It drives me nuts...but not as much of the pics of her in a bikini. She's 40. I know she's proud of her weight loss, but I don't need to see so much skin. I almost feel like I've seen her naked since she wears string bikinis and has lots of cleavage.

AngB
09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Btw, baby-related postings that a pp mentioned are never in my book fall into mundane postings. I love hearing about that stuff!

I don't like posting baby news or reading baby news because I have several friends and family members dealing with infertility and/or pregnancy/infant loss and that kind of stuff is really hard to see when you are on that side of the fence.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-18-2013, 10:03 AM
funny!!! though i'm with twinfoxes, i think things like getting into medical school or certain other big achievements are totally allowable, non-annoying status updates. as are food pictures (as long as it's not eaten..that's gross!!). Posting pics of baby at month 2, month 3, etc = cute. I don't even mind posts of people selling their products.

i have about 250 ppl in my feed and there are maybe only about a dozen who clog it up with annoying, narcissistic, braggy posts. I cannot stand it when people post extremely vague yet attention-seeking posts...annoying. I hate it when all people post are pity-me posts about how it's so hard to be a mom or whatever (don't get me wrong, i have those feelings too, but when that's ALL you post about everyday, it's annoying). I hate the bigoted, hateful posts and rants about "people on food stamps need to stop buying iPhones and flat-screen TVs and get a job"...by the person who is 30 and still lives with her parents,...insert eye-roll here. That kind of thing. Now that it's not election year anymore those have definitely died down, but they still pop-up. And yes, these are otherwise nice people and sometimes i wish "wow, i wish i hadn't read that."

queenmama
09-18-2013, 10:07 AM
So if the blog writer is being tongue and cheek, I think it's funny.

I'm sure you mean "tongue IN cheek." ;)

There are a few people on my feed who are severely depressing, "woe is me" types, and I have them hidden. Then there are some who mildly irritating with their extreme positivity or workout stats. But the majority are innocuous and I like hearing about their achievements and seeing their families, as long as they're not being braggadocious ALL of the time.

Still, if I'm being honest, there are just a handful of people who I truly care to keep up with on FB. I don't delete the rest because I was happy to reconnect in the first place, so I should keep them around for when I'm feeling nostalgic. And it was nice getting a bunch of "Happy Birthday" messages, which is, of course, purely narcissistic. ;)

Lara

crl
09-18-2013, 10:09 AM

But what exactly are people supposed to post, if all of these are annoying? I think if you get into med school, brag away! If you are thankful for support, should you really not thank people? I see those posts and am glad my friend has people who love them and help them during rough times. And really, it was annoying to post about Newtown? To me, posting about that on FB felt like my scream in horror. I couldn't actually scream in horror because my girls were home. Seeing my friends' posts about it made me feel like maybe the world hasn't gone completely insane.

I think FB isn't for everyone, or they have too many FB friends, or they are just grouches if they are constantly annoyed.

I agree. I really do wonder sometimes what I am supposed to post. It seems like everything annoys someone. I only post about three times a month, usually pictures of my kids. I never repost or post links, just my own words and my own pictures. I figure if I am annoying people will hide me.

Catherine

carolinacool
09-18-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm sure you mean "tongue IN cheek." ;)

No. "Tongue and cheek" is MY saying. I made it up.

:rotflmao:

JK. Yes, totally meant "in." Thanks!

Binkandabee
09-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't get annoyed by much on facebook at all. I keep my friends list VERY limited, though. It's literally just my family and my real friends in life. I don't think I even have 100 friends.

I guess what I don't understand is if facebook annoys someone, why even go there. I have plenty of annoyances that come at me without me bringing them on, I sure as heck wouldn't go engage in something that I knew would annoy me on purpose.

schrocat
09-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't get annoyed by anything on facebook except political posts. I've deleted 2 mommy friends because of that. Most of my friends are actual friends that I've made over the years. I don't add very many people. I do post stuff about what my husband cooks for me and food pictures but that's not to brag. I post stuff about the kids too but not to brag either though I can see how some other people might perceive it as bragging. It is just what it is. I'm genuinely happy for my friends when good things happen to them and love to see pictures of their new pool or whatever vacation they went on. It's seriously not a big deal to me. I love looking at pictures of what they cook or what cool craft they did with their kids. I love hearing about their achievements.

Globetrotter
09-18-2013, 12:17 PM

:yeahthat: I know the blog article was meant to be a joke, but I do think a lot of people think this. If it's that annoying, why do it? I love FB overall, and as I mentioned earlier some things are annoying to me also, and I'm fairly sure many of my posts annoy someone, but am I supposed to not share my happiness? I figure if anyone is truly annoyed, they can just avoid my posts, and we have to remember that most of us post the positive stuff. As long as we remember that, no need to feel bad about your own shortcomings. I don't post how I'm worried about my dd's anxiety or dad's health issues, or for that matter, ANY of the awful things that go through my head on a daily basis. The only person I hid was a right wing extremist friend from HS.. I couldn't stand to see some of the racist, absurd crap she posted.