PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on cutting feet off costume?

YouAreTheFocus
09-17-2013, 02:54 PM
DS wants to wear his costume from last year (it's a footed one piece fuzzy animal jumpsuit). It's a few inches too short now, he can get it on all the way but it pulls on his toes and looks uncomfortable in the crotch. I'd like to cut the feet off, but I know next to nothing about sewing. Should I just cut the sole out and leave the rest of the foot there? Would I then need to add elastic under his foot (not sure how it would hang otherwise)? Or should I cut it at the ankles and somehow use the foot part as a bootie? Not sure how I'd get them to stay on, though!

Any advice appreciated :)

Ceepa
09-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Is there a ring of elastic around the ankle? If so I'd cut the feet off below that line and have him wear regular shoes.

Giantbear
09-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Make sure he is not wearing them when you cut them??

Cut the feet of the costume and then separate the top from the bottom of the foot. Place the top on his sneakers and put two holes in the top of the foot so you can run the sneaker laces through the holes turning the top of the foot portion into the top of the sneaker.

YouAreTheFocus
09-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Double post

YouAreTheFocus
09-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Is there a ring of elastic around the ankle? If so I'd cut the feet off below that line and have him wear regular shoes.

Yes, there's a ring of elastic. Do I need to worry about finishing the cut edge (will it start fraying)?

I wonder how much of a gap I'll have once his foot isn't holding the whole thing down. Time to look for brown knee socks!

YouAreTheFocus
09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Make sure he is not wearing them when you cut them??

Cut the feet of the costume and then separate the top from the bottom of the foot. Place the top on his sneakers and put two holes in the top of the foot so you can run the sneaker laces through the holes turning the top of the foot portion into the top of the sneaker.

This is very clever!!

barkley1
09-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Hard to say without seeing it, but I might try cutting a slit in the sole of the foot of the costume. Have DC put it on and pull feet through the slit, then put on shoes. Maybe the feet would just lay on top of the shoe? Then it wouldn't be totally messed up if the idea didn't work, or if DC changed their mind, or if someone else wanted to wear it.

Blue Hydrangea
09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Cutting the feet off might work if leg-length is the only issue, but it won't help if the body of the costume too small and it's pulling in the crotch. Whether or not it frays when you cut it depends on the fabric the costume is made of. If it's something like felt, polar fleece, or t-shirt material you can cut it without it fraying.

indigo99
09-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm making DS a costume from footed pajamas. The foot/sole of the PJs is a different piece of material, and I'm going to try to just separate the seam holding it on. Then the top part of the foot can act as a shoe covering although I do think I'd have to add elastic for it to stay down. The holes for laces sounds good, but we use Velcro shoes only.

lfp2n
09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
My MIL did this when DD was little as she really wanted to wear a wolf costume but she'd grown out it. Trouble is she really wanted the feet. She cut it in half sort of! Well she cut below the zip and tacked the bottom half onto a pair of old jersey elasticated shorts of similar color. It sounds weird but it worked well!