PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about fitbit

mommylamb
09-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Does anyone have one? How does it work. I don't really know much about them. Are they just a new fad that should really be called a pedometer? I was just toying with the idea of putting one on my wish list and suggesting it to DH as a Christmas gift. Thoughts?

ellies mom
09-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I have the Zip and I would consider it a glorified pedometer but a super accurate. super cool one. For me, it works way better than any pedometer I've owned in the past. I just clip it to my bra and forget about it. I love how I can check in on my progress over the day and how everything is synced straight to my computer (and my phone when I upgrade). It definitely encourages me to move more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candaceb
09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
I have a fitbit one that I got after someone posted a groupon deal for Brookstone back at the beginning of the summer. I love it. It actually motivates me to get moving and it really helps that a friend has one and we are paired up. If she is ahead of me in steps for the day/week, I make an extra effort to get more steps in. It is different from a pedometer because of all of the online tracking and the fact that it counts more than steps - it also counts flights of stairs, calories burned, and overall activity level.

My one frustration is that activities other than steps aren't translated to steps - they are just translated to activity minutes. So I biked for 10 miles on Sunday but I didn't get any credit towards my steps for the day - which only really matters because I am competitive with my friend.

It is very durable - I sent mine through a load of wash (counted for 2000 steps!) and it survived. I usually don't even realize I'm wearing it though it does show with certain clothes (I wear it on my bra).

LD92599
09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
I have the FitBit One and LOVE it. It's definitely motivating! Yes it's a glorified pedometer but it gives you weekly reports, comparisons, etc. It's a toy. Love mine!

stefani
09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
In a way it is sort of a glorified pedometer, but it is also not a very accurate pedometer. I have the Flex, the bracelet version. It can record how many hours you are in bed, and how much movement you make during those hours. Since it is a bracelet, when I swing my arm it counts them as steps.

It shows how sedentary I am! Especially during weekdays where I work or drive (not much physical activity). I like it.

geochick
09-17-2013, 10:18 PM
I have a FitBit One. The best part is my friends and I can compete. We connect to each others' profiles (online or via app), and go crazy if someone passes us by for the day or week. The battery life is long. I attach mine to my bra since I almost washed it a few times when it was connected to my pockets. I wash bras by hand, less often. I love the thing. The other day dh and I did an 8 mile mountain hike. At the end we knew not only our distance, but how many "flights of stairs" we had completed. It made my friends crazy since I covered so much more ground than them that day. VERY motivating.

mommylamb
09-18-2013, 11:00 AM
How does it monitor your sleep?

AngB
09-18-2013, 11:25 AM

I don't use it for that anymore since with DS2 it depresses me and makes me feel more tired to know how few hours I got. (My first night using it was avg for us and it was 4 hours.)
Anyway, you wear it in a wristband for that and hit a stop watch like button and then hit the button when you wake up. It also records your movements through the night so if you tossed and turned a lot it picks that up and will show it.

AngB
09-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Also they sell them occasionally on nobetterdeal (.com) under the exercise/sporting category for much cheaper. I got mine there for 50 or so. I think it's the One.

lovin2shop
09-18-2013, 11:29 AM
I would really like a fitbit, especially for the sleep monitoring benefit. I decided to start with the Weight Watchers Activelink first since it is less expensive. Also, I have an older iphone, so the fitbit is not compatible with my phone. I do like the Activelink quite a bit, use it daily, and it definitely motivates me to get extra points. However, I've lost it several times. The last time, I had to replace it since I think it went to the dry cleaners and never came back. So, I'll probably just stick with the Activelink, and if I lose it again, will probably not replace. Having said that, I'm going to upgrade my phone soon, and then if I know myself well enough, I may cave on a fitbit!

pakin
09-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I love my Fitbit Zip. :)
Here is a recent thread in Mommyfit about Fitbit: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?461771-Fitbit

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

larig
09-18-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm waiting. I think that with apple's hiring of that famous fitness guy something big is coming.

Tenasparkl
09-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I had a zip that completely went nuts after I changed the battery. I got a replacement and then lost it somewhere in my house (still looking for it!) I'm now emailing back and forth with fitbit support to try to solve the problem with the first one and they are so helpful. I love it when I can use it & I miss it a lot. I'm tempted to order a flex, but I read that it doesn't count steps when you push a stroller or shopping cart.

mommylamb
09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm waiting. I think that with apple's hiring of that famous fitness guy something big is coming.

Good to know. Maybe I'll wait and see if an apple version comes out.

lhafer
09-18-2013, 01:21 PM
I've had the fitbit ultra, and now I have the fitbit flex. I love it because I wear it on my wrist and forget about it. I charge the battery about once a week or so. You can shower with it, swim with it etc. I also have the aria scale. And it syncs with my fitness pal.

larig
09-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Good to know. Maybe I'll wait and see if an apple version comes out.

I kind of think that if they don't announce something next month I'll think about a fitbit more seriously. OP, if you're good about having your phone on you all the time, you can try the app Moves. it will track all your moving during the day. it even is smart enough to know if you are driving, riding a bike, running or walking. It does take a bit of a toll on the battery, so you'd want to have a charger with you at work.

westwoodmom04
09-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Love mine, I'm on my second. The first was a One, which lasted nine months until I lost it this summer. I bought a zip to replace it as I don't really care about the sleep monitoring or stair flights count. Both are great and really help me make sure I'm active enough.

oneplustwo
09-18-2013, 10:29 PM
My one frustration is that activities other than steps aren't translated to steps - they are just translated to activity minutes. So I biked for 10 miles on Sunday but I didn't get any credit towards my steps for the day - which only really matters because I am competitive with my friend.

It is very durable - I sent mine through a load of wash (counted for 2000 steps!) and it survived. I usually don't even realize I'm wearing it though it does show with certain clothes (I wear it on my bra).

For some reason the laundry thing sent me into peals of laughter. I have also wondered whether this would be fun/useful to have and if I'd use it enough, but think I better not get one, as I'd just send it through the wash on purpose trying to up my number of steps.

stefani
09-18-2013, 10:42 PM

I don't use it for that anymore since with DS2 it depresses me and makes me feel more tired to know how few hours I got. (My first night using it was avg for us and it was 4 hours.)
Anyway, you wear it in a wristband for that and hit a stop watch like button and then hit the button when you wake up. It also records your movements through the night so if you tossed and turned a lot it picks that up and will show it.

Mine is the Flex, so yes, I need to tap it to tell it that I am in bed, and then tap is again when I wake up. If I forget then I can just log it.
It does show that I need more sleep although I don't have a newborn anymore!