PDA

View Full Version : Which winter coat for a preschooler in (cold) midwest?

ourbabygirl
09-17-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out which coat(s) to buy for my kids for this winter. They'll be 3 and 5 and hopefully spending more time outside this year (and maybe trying skiing- at least the older one). In the past I've gotten their coats from Gap (warmest coat); LLBean (tight in the arms & I don't want to have to pay to return things); Children's Place, Target, Old Navy, and Hanna Andersson (bought at consignment sales). I'm leaning towards Lands End this year so I can order or buy in-store, have the kids try on, and return in-store if needed. I'm also considering Columbia, North Face, and Hanna Andersson for something really warm, but the prices are so high. :thumbsdown:

What would you get, or what will you get for your own kids in a cold climate? We do get quite a bit of snow during the year, so I'd like something more waterproof than the HA coat that DS had last year.
Also, do you tend to buy your kids' coats new or used? I don't have anyone to give me hand-me-downs, and I'm o.k. buying new as long as it's well-made and will last through the long winter. The only hitch is that I have an older DD and younger DS, so I'm not sure if there are any more gender-neutral options that DD would still be o.k. with (her favorite color is purple, & his is yellow).

Thanks for your help!

Kindra178
09-17-2013, 11:06 PM
LE has 25% kids' outerwear (ends tonight). Per Montreal Mom's rec, I just ordered the LE Expedition for DS2. I am generally a huge fan of Patagonia for quality, awesome zippers and warmth. But I thought I would try this for DS2 because I am unexpectedly buying him a winter coat this season due to the puzzling of winter coats for my three. We spend a ton of town outside and walk quite a bit in all sorts of temps, so I am hoping this works for him. It's coming tomorrow so I can report back if you want.

My twins used Squall Parkas one year and those were great quality and warm enough for Chicago winters, with some appropriate layering. Due to moving up from the toddler sizes to little boy, we could never get them to fit well again.

scriptkitten
09-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Both my kids have Gap Warmest jackets from last year that will fit again this year.

I'm thrilled with DS's jacket. No issues. Still looks great.

DDs annoys me. It's hard to get the fabric to really look clean (it's lilac) and the fabric surrounding the zipper always gets caught in it. I'll probably splurge on something new for her when I can find a deal.

TwinFoxes
09-18-2013, 04:10 AM
I love LE's outerwear. I bought Columbia one year because I got a deal, and one zipper broke, and I was pretty much screwed because it was well after the return period, I didn't even have the receipt. So now I only buy LE. I would be willing to give LLB a try too.

smilequeen
09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
I have 3 of the same gender so it influences things. I usually go as high quality as I think is worth it. I've done Lands End, Hanna, North Face, and Spyder for their good heavy winter coats. No problems with any of them. Lands End is a little boring in style to me. Hanna is a little young. My oldest has an opinion now and he chose the Spyder coat because he thought it was cool ;)

ChristinaLucia
09-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Our favorite so far has been Polarn O. Pyret's WEAR EVERYWHERE WINTER JACKET (sorry for the all caps).

Great quality. Very warm for very cold winters.

hillview
09-18-2013, 10:57 AM
LL Bean. Work well for hand me down as well. I always buy new. I've gotten 3 years out of a coat. Live in NE and the boys love being outside. they have never been cold in the core area (hands and feet sometimes).

Simon
09-18-2013, 11:46 AM
If you want really warm, go for down coats. LE and REI have good quality and we own both. Costco has some this year but I don't know about quality. Down is not great if you get a lot of wet snow/sleet and the kids will be out in that for a long time. We're not usually out playing in that so we've done fine with with down. Another option is to get a style that allows you to zip the down coat into a waterproof shell.

If you want a style with zip in/out fleece or single layer parka, then I think you can't go wrong with LE or LLB. For us, I don't think Patagonia or Marmot worth the extra cost. Both are very high quality but we're warm enough with brands that cost less. We had HA infant and toddler coats and I didn't think they were either very warm or cut very well (for my kids). We had bad luck with the quality of Company Kids zippers.

Even though I could buy new and hand down, I now always buy second hand when I can. I've never had trouble with LE or LLB zippers and warmth despite them being used. Although I have all boys, they have very different body types so what fits well on one doesn't work for another. One loves hoods, one can't stand them. Buying 2nd hand saves $ and allows me to get what each kid really needs.

Kindra178
09-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Although I have all boys, they have very different body types so what fits well on one doesn't work for another. One loves hoods, one can't stand them.

Truer words have never been spoken! I am literally in the middle of a coat puzzle and this issue is part of the equation. It doesn't help that one kid doesn't like a parka/heavy coat and runs hot while another is always freezing. Happy to know I am not the only one with this problem.