PDA

View Full Version : Cancer benefit ideas

ray7694
09-17-2013, 11:34 PM
One of my friends I teach with husband was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer. He was self employed so I know they are struggling to pay for treatment and daily expenses. Our staff held a big fundraiser this summer. I would like to do something at our school.
Has any parents helped with something
Like this at your school. Any ideas what would be easy and parents would be ok with? Our school isn't wealthy but I know many families would help if they had the chance

dogmom
09-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Pumpkin sale for Halloween. Get a farm to deliver lost of pumpkins. Put them out on school lawn and have a day were kids can come by, buy a pumpkin. Sell coffee/bake goods.

Pies for Thanksgiving (great idea people can pre-order them and pick them up a designated time Tues or Wed before holiday) You can make them in people's kitchens if small amount (<50-75) and people can donate time/ingredients. You will know how many to make. You can pick 3 kinds and list them. Our school does this, but they order from a commercial bakery because they have >100)

Multi-family yard sale some weekend at the school, proceeds go to family. Set up coffee/bake sale.

Are there sports in your town? Get volunteers to go to soccer/football games with Dunkin Donuts coffee and munkin/donuts and sell them before/during game. I'm always up for a cup of coffee.

Raffle baskets. Get each grade to contribute to one of a theme (football game day/grilling/game night) Sell tickets. Works best with another even like the yard sale.

Go to local businesses, get help. Restaurants chains often have a charity night thing where if you go on a Monday or Tuesday night a % of proceeds go to cause. Also see if local business will give you a wholesale discount.

Online auction. There are lost of sites. Where you can gt donations from local businesses and send out links so people can bid online.

Oh, I forget, the shave the head thing. Friend of mind just did this as a teacher. If people donate to a certain amount the teacher volunteers to shave their head. They do it online so people can see the tally. She said it was funny because once they got to the limit then some people donated that didn't want to earlier because they didn't want to make her shave her head, but once it got past the limit they donated.

candaceb
09-18-2013, 09:38 AM
one of my friends has organized several of this type of event. She has it down to a science. Spaghetti dinner for $5 a head. Spaghetti and sauce are cheap. Get people to donate desserts, salads, bread and she gets coca-cola to donate drinks. She then has a bunch of raffle baskets and that is where they make the most money.