PDA

View Full Version : How do I get these stains out/ use oxyclean?

elektra
09-18-2013, 01:29 AM
DD wears red, white or blue polo shirts to school. We mostly have the LE soft ones. There are stains on several of them at this point. How can I get these out?
I am not skilled with laundry. I did buy oxyclean to try on the shirts but I am not sure if I used it right. The directions said not to mix it in with the detergent in the detergent compartment in he machines, so I poured it directly into the drum.
The stains did not come out.
Should I have poured it into the "prewash" slot? should I soak the shirts?

YouAreTheFocus
09-18-2013, 03:24 AM
What kind of stains are they? For any type of food stains (including oil) I use Dawn. It is a painful, annoying process but I go through all of DS's clothes piece by piece and apply Dawn as needed. I go through a lot of it! But pretty much everything has come out on the first try.

wendibird22
09-18-2013, 09:26 AM
If I use oxy I put it into a small bucket with warm water and let the item soak for days and days and then run through a regular wash. If the stain is a smaller area (vs the entire item) I swear by Felts Naptha soap (it's a bar soap). I was able to get ink out of one of DHs dress shirts last week. Just wet the area and rub directly with the bar soap, rinse and repeat. Sometimes I use a fingernail brush or toothbrush to help rub the stain out.

zag95
09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Depends on the stain. For oily stains, I use Dawn also! Other options are Fels Naptha bar, or I might do a combo of Oxyclean and some powdered Cascade dishwasher soap, and soak for a while like overnight.... that usually does the trick!

I'd also LE and ask what they recommend for stain treatment on their shirts....... they might be a great resource!

Goodluck!

123LuckyMom
09-19-2013, 01:18 PM
With oxyclean you have to soak, as a PP mentioned. It does depend on the stain. Greasy stains benefit from putting powder on the stain while the garment is dry and leaving overnight. The next day, brush the powder off the stain and treat with a bit of detergent or a treater like Shout, and give the stain a good rub, then wash.

If the stain is something else, soak overnight in oxyclean. Then use a bit of detergent or a pretreater like Shout (or some Dawn, which I don't have), and rub the stain, then wash.

elektra
09-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks for keeping this going! One of the stains is chocolate and the others I am not sure. They are on the blue and red shirts and are just appearing as dark smudges (so maybe oil?)
I will try the soak. I could probably do the blue and red together, right? And the white separately?
I do have shout as well which I did squirt on and leave overnight. Might be time for the soak!

infomama
09-20-2013, 06:31 PM
This little book is totally worth it. Sits on my dryer. http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/field-guide-to-stains

lizzywednesday
09-23-2013, 02:51 PM
If I use oxy I put it into a small bucket with warm water and let the item soak for days and days and then run through a regular wash. If the stain is a smaller area (vs the entire item) I swear by Felts Naptha soap (it's a bar soap). ..

:yeahthat:

If I don't have the patience for Fels Naptha, though, I resort to Spray 'n' Wash.

Basically, OxyClean works best on organic, non-greasy stains like grass, blood, and mud.