PDA

View Full Version : Caramel apples

petesgirl
09-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I want to do caramel apples this weekend, but I'm not sure how to do the caramel... Do you just use wrapped caramels and melt them? And what variety of Apple is best? I think my mom always did granny Smith.

infomama
09-18-2013, 11:58 AM
That's the way I used to do it but since we are eating less processed stuff now I want to try these....
www.food52.com/recipes/19496-simplest-caramel-apples
www.food52.com/blog/4774-cardamom-honey-caramel-apples-and-pears (I love cardamom)

lizzywednesday
09-18-2013, 12:07 PM
The packaged caramels should have instructions on how many to use and how to melt them right on the package.

I think something that's more tart, like a Granny Smith or even Pink Lady apple works best as a counterpoint to the super-sweet caramel, but you can use any apple you like.

georgiegirl
09-18-2013, 12:11 PM
The only problem is that the caramel slides off store bought apples because they are waxy.

kep
09-18-2013, 12:18 PM
The packaged caramels should have instructions on how many to use and how to melt them right on the package.

I think something that's more tart, like a Granny Smith or even Pink Lady apple works best as a counterpoint to the super-sweet caramel, but you can use any apple you like.

This is what we do too. We love Granny Smith's as well.

lizzywednesday
09-18-2013, 12:20 PM
The only problem is that the caramel slides off store bought apples because they are waxy.

Well, it is apple season in many parts of the country so if there's an orchard nearby, you might be able to head out.

Or you could try a vinegar rinse to try & dissolve some of the wax.

petesgirl
09-18-2013, 12:59 PM

I actually want to try something I saw on pinterest where you use a melon baller to get small apple balls, put a toothpick in each one and dip them that way. So maybe that will help with the caramel sliding off since part of it will be sticking to the inside of the apple?
I actually really hate normal caramel apples, they taste good, but are a pain to make and a pain to eat!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-18-2013, 01:51 PM
www.food52.com/blog/4774-cardamom-honey-caramel-apples-and-pears (http://www.food52.com/blog/4774-cardamom-honey-caramel-apples-and-pears) (I love cardamom)

oh wow i am so gonna try this. for me, cardamom is like crack, i loooove that stuff.

rolypoly27
09-18-2013, 02:00 PM
We make them sunday-style by cutting up a Granny Smith apple into bite size pieces and then adding caramel and various toppings depending on mood (nuts, graham cracker crushed, Oreo crushed, etc). Eaten straight out of a bowl with a fork. Easy to make and eat!

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I say just go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and buy their caramel sauce (in a jar) and dip in that. It's made with real stuff- butter, sugar, cream... eta- it won't dry or get firm but it's a good snack/