PDA

View Full Version : Nespresso Question

lcarlson90
09-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I have a Keurig that I never use. My daily Starbucks habit is getting too pricey. I have heard good things about Nespresso machines but I am unclear about what they are. Is it coffee or Espresso? Does it make flavored lattes? Please enlighten me.

Piglet
09-18-2013, 12:12 PM
It makes espresso and only espresso, but it makes it great! I make an Americano every morning. I have never loved a coffee machine until I got my Nespresso and although I still indulge in Starbucks at work (for social reasons), I actually can't drink their Americanos or coffees anymore as I like my Nespresso more.

BunnyBee
09-18-2013, 12:55 PM
You can make a flavored latte using it, but it doesn't make one on its own. It makes really good espresso, much better than Starbucks. You'd then add flavored syrup ($2 for $12 at Cost Plus World Market today) and frothed/steamed milk. If you like lattes, definitely get a machine with the built in milk thingy.

lcarlson90
09-18-2013, 12:58 PM
You can make a flavored latte using it, but it doesn't make one on its own. It makes really good espresso, much better than Starbucks. You'd then add flavored syrup ($2 for $12 at Cost Plus World Market today) and frothed/steamed milk. If you like lattes, definitely get a machine with the built in milk thingy.

We have about 10 bottles of Torani syrup because my DH has a Gaggia Espresso machine but I don't use it because it seems to complicated. So does it use pods like a Keurig?

BunnyBee
09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
We have about 10 bottles of Torani syrup because my DH has a Gaggia Espresso machine but I don't use it because it seems to complicated. So does it use pods like a Keurig?

Yes. There are videos on the site I think? You can also get a demo at Williams-Sonoma and stores that carry it. We bought right before Thanksgiving (I think?) during a promotion. They're set by Nespresso, but I bet the stores would be able to tell you what's coming.

larig
09-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Oh, you should give that Gaggia a go!
See if you can find a video on youtube that shows you how to use it. I really love pulling an espresso. I find it a little relaxing.

Zukini
09-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes to everything pp said! Committed Nespresso user here, like twice daily... sometimes more! It only makes espresso using pods (called crus) that you order online or in Nespresso boutiques in a few cities. To make a latte or cappuccino, you would need a frother (Aerolatte has a decent handheld one for $20; Nespresso markets their Aerocino unit for ~$99 but never tried it) to froth the milk. Some folks love their syrups to recreate their fave Sbux drinks. If you do, Torani is the way to go (World Market has a very big lineup of flavors in regular and sugar free). The crus run about 60cents to 80cents a pop depending on which variety you order. So it will definitely save you some $$ in the short and long run over Sbux espresso based drinks.

Machines are available not just at W-S but at Sur La Table as well. The base model, the Essenza, is now $99 and it's the one I have (paid $220 in 2010). It's over 600 shots in over the course of two years so we have more than made our money back on it and saved a ton of calories (as we don't often gussy it up with syrup or milk, just use a little turbinado sugar to sweeten the cup. I may be looking at another machine this year (Pixie?!) as DH loves it so much he wants to take this one to his office - we just cannot figure out how to secure it in his cube so no one permanently "borrows" it. LOL

Tip: to make a double shot, albeit weaker, I run the same cru twice in the machine to extract a second shot of espresso.
Tip tip: it's a hit at dinner parties for that final bite / dessert. When all else fails, I can scoop gelato into my espresso cups and pour individual shots of espresso over the gelato affogato-style. I keep decaffeinated crus on hand for myself and those guests who don't want to drink coffee too late in the evening!