PDA

View Full Version : Do older kids wear snow boots?

pakin
09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I was shopping online for snow boots for the kids yesterday. DH walked by and said that older kids don't wear snow boots. :confused: I suppose that at some point it's not cool to wear snow boots to school?? DH said he only wears snow boots to plow the driveway..

I grew up in Asia where there's no snow.. ever. But we live in upstate NY. It snows a lot here. What are your thoughts?

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

georgiegirl
09-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Dd (7) is required to bring them to school in the winter. Around here, you need them in you want to play outside in the winter. I'm in the Midwest and it even snowed in may this year and DD bought her snow boots and snow pants then. My neighbors 13 year old dd had them too,

Piglet
09-18-2013, 12:15 PM
We are in Canada and EVERYONE has snowboots. It is a necessity! I think you either need them because your climate requires it and then age is not relevant or alternatively you only need them in certain circumstances (e.g. playing at recess in the snow), in which case age is not the issue as much as what those circumstances look like.

Kindra178
09-18-2013, 12:25 PM
I grew up in Northern NJ. No one wore snow boots to and from school. It was more suburban/rural, so there is a lot of driving and not a ton of trudging through sidewalks and streets. We all had snow boots for sledding though, but we never wore snow pants in high school. Yes, we got wet and we froze. Now I am in an urban area and I still don't see the big kids with snow boots, but I bet they have them for sledding.

pakin
09-18-2013, 12:56 PM
I grew up in Northern NJ. No one wore snow boots to and from school. It was more suburban/rural, so there is a lot of driving and not a ton of trudging through sidewalks and streets. We all had snow boots for sledding though, but we never wore snow pants in high school. Yes, we got wet and we froze. Now I am in an urban area and I still don't see the big kids with snow boots, but I bet they have them for sledding.

Interesting! I forgot to mention that DH grew up in a rural area not far from where we are now. Personally I can't imagine NOT wearing snow boots in the winter here. My feet would freeze in no time. :)

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

ett
09-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Not sure what you define as older kids but DS1 is 10 and still wears snow boots to school. I'm in MA and we can get a lot of snow here. On snowy mornings, our shoes would get soaked if we didn't wear snow boots to walk to school. Also up until 3rd grade, snow boots/pants are required to play in the snow at recess, otherwise you have to stay on the pavement.

mom_hanna
09-19-2013, 11:52 PM
I see most of the kids wearing snow boots here when it is cold or snowy, including high schoolers.

ilfaith
09-20-2013, 05:15 PM
I grew up in NJ and don't remember wearing snow boots from 4th grade through high school. When I was little I had the sort of rubber boots that went over your sneakers. When I went to college (in upstate NY) I got a pair of L.L. Bean boots like these ( http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/22799?productId=198179&qs=3016887_mercent_google_pla&kpid=22799&attrValue_0=Tan/Brown&mr:referralID=d440eb91-2238-11e3-a8bc-001b2166c62d ) and eventually got a more stylish pair of black snow boots...similar to these ( http://www.lacanadienneshoes.com/us/boots/annabella-black-shearling.html ) but priced more in line with a college student's budget.

YouAreTheFocus
09-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I grew up in NJ and don't remember wearing snow boots from 4th grade through high school. .....

:yeahthat: I grew up in New England and I from what I remember I didn't wear boots of any type as I got older (rain or snow). I do remember having wet socks a lot, though! I think past a certain age weather gear just wasn't "cool" :rolleyes: It's not just no boots...it's no coats...shorts in the 40s, etc.

khalloc
09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
I live in Vermont. You pretty much have to have snow boots around here. But growing up in Boston, I hardly ever wore snow boots (unless I was going sledding or something).

Nooknookmom
10-02-2013, 02:23 PM

I grew up in the Chicagoland area during my school years and after elementary nobody wore snow boots to school. U bet we froze and sometimes we even wore flats and no socks!!! Especially in HS. Would have been dorky.

Now when we actually "played" in the snow....we put boots on ;)