PDA

View Full Version : Splitting meals with kids at TS restaurants

liz
09-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Is this allowed? For example, I am thinking of booking Teppan Edo for the family. I know that my 4yo and 7yo will eat mostly noodles and white rice, and a small amount at that. Is it possible for adults to share a meal with them, or order a kids meal for them to share? It seems such an expensive waste, but I will order their own meals for them if need be.

brittone2
09-20-2013, 09:09 AM
I've been wondering this too, and it seems like you can and what I've read so far seems to indicate it isn't frowned upon. In our case, I am 99% sure my DS1 will not want to order off the kids menu, and he and DD and/or DS2 may enjoy splitting entrees. I am thinking right now that my kids will likely split adult entrees and add an appetizer, eat adult appetizers, split and entree and share some with us, etc. They do not enjoy day after day of "kid food." Some of the Mickey Check items like salmon and rice, etc. seem like they would appeal to my kids, but I need to look at portion sizes, etc. for those items as DS1 may need more than kid quantities.

megs4413
09-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Is this allowed? For example, I am thinking of booking Teppan Edo for the family. I know that my 4yo and 7yo will eat mostly noodles and white rice, and a small amount at that. Is it possible for adults to share a meal with them, or order a kids meal for them to share? It seems such an expensive waste, but I will order their own meals for them if need be.

AFAIK, the only places you can't meal share are prix-fixe menus, so buffets are out for sure (unless a guest is under 3). Teppan Edo would be doable, though the reviews indicate that you don't get a ton of food for your money already, so splitting it might be tough to do...YMMV. I'm not a hibachi fan, so we're not TE goers.

Another way to save money when paying OOP for dining is to order entrees instead of meals at QS (CS) restaurants. It's frequently not listed as an option on the menu, but is doable.

egoldber
09-20-2013, 09:30 AM
You can order whatever you want at any TS meal except buffets. At the buffets, of course, everyone is charged the kid or adult price. But kids can eat whatever they want at the buffet, so these are good deals for kids who prefer adult foods. I don't think an adult can order a kid entree at a TS restaurant, but a kid can certainly order an adult entree. And adults can buy kids meals at QS/CS restaurants. I actually do that all the time to get a smaller portion.

Actually what we often get at CS restaurant is.....

DH: 1 adult combo
me: 1 kid combo
kids: 1 adult combo + extra side

The kids drink water or I order a kid drink and DH and I split the adult drink.

megs4413
09-20-2013, 09:43 AM
You can order whatever you want at any TS meal except buffets. At the buffets, of course, everyone is charged the kid or adult price. But kids can eat whatever they want at the buffet, so these are good deals for kids who prefer adult foods.

One exception to this (and there might be more but this is off the top of my head) is Whispering Canyon Cafe. It's not a buffet, but it is a prix-fixe. You could get around it there by ordering only appetizers, I think, though. I'm trying to think if there are other places like that...

ETA: "family style" meals would also be included in this like Akershus, Ohana, etc.

egoldber
09-20-2013, 09:48 AM
I've never eaten at Whispering Canyon. But yes, I forgot that there are a few prixe fixe type places. But I think most fixed price menus are buffets and/or character meals.