PDA

View Full Version : Feeling blue--birthday coming up, parts of life in disarray

lmintzer
09-22-2013, 11:53 AM
I still don't feel comfortable posting some of the details here (just because this is so public), but I could use some support. I have had a horrible year personally. I've had some medical problems (which are manageable but were very stressful at first) and other issues that have left me feeling lonely and unappreciated.

My birthday is coming up next week, and I'm finding that it's bringing a lot of feelings up for me again. I remember so hoping last year that by this birthday, I would be in a better place. And I'm really not.

On top of that, my kids' schedules/extra-curriculars are killing me this fall. I know that the fall is the busiest time, and it will all calm down some come November. But right now, my older son has literally 15 hours/week of soccer (combination of Travel and school 7th grade team). My 4th grader also plays Travel soccer. Both boys have piano and each play a 2nd instrument. Both have religious school--on somewhat different schedules, considering that my older son is preparing for his Bar Mitzvah in April. Which is SUPER exciting and special, and there are aspects of planning which are really fun (see my post in the Lounge). But that upcoming big event is not only a ton of work--like planning a wedding in some regards--but brings up some family issues and challenges that will be very difficult. Not to mention, my oldest is intense, so making sure he keeps himself together while so busy is a lot of emotional work in itself. Yes, I could have said no to school soccer, but it's something he really wanted to try. So I decided to let him--he knows is this is a "test run," and if it's too much, then no more school sports in the near future.

I have been a stay-at-home-mom for my boys for the last 8 years (since moving cross country), leaving behind what could have been quite a good career as a clinical psychologist. I may go back to work at some point, but I am overwhelmed thinking about how this would fit in. I am a very involved mom, and I do not want to give this up. Time is passing more quickly than I would like. They are growing up too quickly! However, I never expected the amount of negativity I experience about being so highly educated and choosing to stay home. Sometimes the criticism comes from people in my life whom I would have hoped would support me--sometimes it comes from--get this--our plumber (?!?), the nextdoor neighbor (?!). Really? It's often kind of indirect criticism--just those comments that hurt just a little. I guess on some level I, too, must be conflicted, or they wouldn't hurt as much. It's just hard to believe that there are some out there who literally feel that I'm failing to make a contribution to this world.

BunnyBee
09-22-2013, 12:34 PM
You are making a contribution! Wtf, plumber! And neighbor? Jerks!

I'm sorry you are dealing with socially incompetent asshats, and I hope your kids make your birthday special. :hug:

chlobo
09-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Hugs. Hang in there. Can you maybe pick something special to do for yourself this birthday? For me its been a hard lesson but no one is really going to celebrate me so I have to make the effort and do it myself! What is something you'd really like to do? Maybe a special meal?

MamaMolly
09-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Happy Birthday, a little early. :kisscheek:

I'm sorry this has been a hard year. Remember that this is just a season of life, and it WILL get better. You will look back and really be proud of how well you managed to get through it.

Also, even fun things like a Bar Mitzvah are stressful. Give yourself permission to dial stuff back a bit in other areas.

As for the hurtful comments, you ARE a highly educated woman and you bring that to the table for your children. Look at it as swapping careers instead of giving up one.

crayonblue
09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry Lisa! In my book, you are one of the most awesome moms I "know" and I think what you do for your boys is priceless. Happy, happy early birthday to you.

MelissaTC
09-22-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry Lisa! In my book, you are one of the most awesome moms I "know" and I think what you do for your boys is priceless. Happy, happy early birthday to you.

What she said. Hang in there!

crl
09-22-2013, 03:30 PM
I am sorry things are stressful. I hope you have a wonderful birthday.

Catherine

fedoragirl
09-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Happy Birthday and I hope it is a happy one.
As for your post, a lot of what you wrote resonated with me. So you are not alone in thinking that your life is in disarray. However, do take comfort in the fact that you are raising your children which is a very difficult job in itself. You are using your educational resources with your kids on a daily basis.
I am sorry it hurts when people remark on your choices.

SoCalMommy
09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Happy Birthday, a little early. :kisscheek:

I'm sorry this has been a hard year. Remember that this is just a season of life, and it WILL get better. You will look back and really be proud of how well you managed to get through it.

Also, even fun things like a Bar Mitzvah are stressful. Give yourself permission to dial stuff back a bit in other areas.

As for the hurtful comments, you ARE a highly educated woman and you bring that to the table for your children. Look at it as swapping careers instead of giving up one.

:yeahthat:
it's unfortunate that society seems to think that raising children is easy. You are making one of the most important contributions to society IMO...developing, teaching and cultivating amazing people. We need them in this world!

Tondi G
09-22-2013, 07:20 PM
:yeahthat:
it's unfortunate that society seems to think that raising children is easy. You are making one of the most important contributions to society IMO...developing, teaching and cultivating amazing people. We need them in this world!

YES this exactly! ((HUGS)) headed your way Mama. I hope that your birthday is wonderful. I am sorry things are so stressful for you right now. Hang in there!

ha98ed14
09-22-2013, 07:27 PM
You are not alone. My bday is next week also, and I have those same feelings. $40k for an ivy grad degree and I don't use it. But at the same time, i mourn the loss of my "baby." DD is 6 too soon. Like I said, you are not alone.

KpbS
09-23-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm sorry! I know the feeling of watching the time zip past and very much wanting to slow down and hold on to the moments. Don't let those people make you feel like you aren't doing an amazing, incredibly important job. Your DS's need you the most and don't feel guilty about that for one minute. Childhood is fleeting. Sending big hugs, early birthday wishes, and hopes that November comes soon. :hug:

niccig
09-23-2013, 12:40 AM
You're not alone. My 40th is coming up and it's turning out to be a miserable time. Big birthday hugs :hug:

american_mama
09-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Lisa, I think you are a pretty awesome person and your boys' success is testament to that. I'm really impressed by your post. Someone here posted a quote from Jackie Kennedy along the lines of: "If you screw up raising your children, nothing else matters very much." I think you are doing what you need and want for yourself and your family, and that's something that no one else can really get the nuances of except you. I am sorry for the difficulties in your personal life, and hope that even if this birthday is not the marker you hoped for, you see improvement in the next few months.

doberbrat
09-29-2013, 01:57 PM
To me, women's lib is about the freedom to make CHOICES as to how to contribute to society be it work OR home. Too many people seem to forget that.

Plus, its impossible to know whether you will want (or be able to) be a sahm when the time comes... So what, is your plumber suggesting that women DONT get decent or expensive education because they Might "waste" it? What a silly way to think.

Happy Birthday - I hope you can do something entirely selfish and fun for yourself that day. Celebrate the fact that you're doing what is right for YOUR family and dont worry about the critics.

daniele_ut
09-29-2013, 03:20 PM
To me, women's lib is about the freedom to make CHOICES as to how to contribute to society be it work OR home. Too many people seem to forget that.

Plus, its impossible to know whether you will want (or be able to) be a sahm when the time comes... So what, is your plumber suggesting that women DONT get decent or expensive education because they Might "waste" it? What a silly way to think.

Happy Birthday - I hope you can do something entirely selfish and fun for yourself that day. Celebrate the fact that you're doing what is right for YOUR family and dont worry about the critics.

A-MEN! FWIW, I feel like I have done more important work in the last 2 years of being at home with my kids than I did in my previous 15 years working FT outside the home. The change in my children has been dramatic. I have an expensive BA and MFA and I use my degrees all the time. Education isn't just about what kind of a career you'll have, it has great value in and of itself. I also take a lot of comfort in the fact that due to my education, I COULD support our family if it ever became necessary.