PDA

View Full Version : Quick: bday present reccs for 9 year old boy?

citymama
09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
I need to buy a bday present for a 9 yr old boy sjs am stumped. He's a jock - plays soccer and baseball and swims. Last year I bought him a gc to a sports store and I assume it was used but he looked a little disappointed - I think kids like tangible gifts! He isn't having a party this year so won't be getting many gifts. I'd like to spend up to $50. He has liked graphic tees I've given him and is also really into games on his itouch! He used to be a reader but I hardly see him read any more. I could get a bunch of small things or one big one.

Suggestions welcome, especially B&M stores such as Target, sports stores or Barnes and Noble. Thanks!!!

hellbennt
09-22-2013, 02:16 PM
my son loves the NERDS series by Buckley - you could get the whole series? the latest book, the 5th one, just came out this month...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nerds-michael-buckley/1114253954?ean=9781419708572

I love the quality of Charlie Rocket brand T-s (they run big so size 10 should be good)
Looks like Lord & Taylor carries them (if you want to buy in Brick/Mortor store)

my 10yr old ds still loves everything remote control - car, motorcycle, helicopter

sariana
09-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Can you ask his parents if he could use a nice sports bag? You know, the kind that has compartments for cleats and a ball and sweaty socks and whatnot? You said B & M, but if you have time, you can order them personalized.

SnuggleBuggles
09-22-2013, 03:19 PM
From age 9 up, gift cards have been the biggest hit.

candaceb
09-22-2013, 09:58 PM
If you don't want to do a gift card, I'd do something like a sports jersey for his favorite team from Target, plus a gift receipt. If he doesn't like it, he can exchange it for something he wants.

baileygirl
09-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Aren't soccer jerseys from other countries popular? Maybe you could get one at a local soccer store?

citymama
09-23-2013, 03:40 AM
my son loves the NERDS series by Buckley - you could get the whole series? the latest book, the 5th one, just came out this month...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nerds-michael-buckley/1114253954?ean=9781419708572

If you don't want to do a gift card, I'd do something like a sports jersey for his favorite team from Target, plus a gift receipt. If he doesn't like it, he can exchange it for something he wants.

All great suggestions - decided to look for these. His mom suggested an amazon gc but I've given him gcs last year for bday and Christmas. I wanted to get something I could put a bow on! I got him an SF Giants jersey and he loooved it. I plan to get him the Nerds books over the holidays since he said he hasn't read them. Score!

From age 9 up, gift cards have been the biggest hit.

I know, and it's definitely my default but sometimes buying a gift and seeing the reaction is so much fun!

Thanks all!

SnuggleBuggles
09-23-2013, 08:14 AM
One of ds1's friends bought a gag gift at 5 Below- a giant whoppee cushion. It was a big hit (til they realized it was a pain to inflate). But, maybe something totally silly plus a gift card could work.