PDA

View Full Version : Pull-on pants for a very slim boy

Green_Tea
09-22-2013, 01:50 PM
I am having a heck of a time finding pants for DS. He's 7, but very tiny and slim for his age. The only pants he would were last year were 4T Cherokee sweats from Target, but I can't find the same ones this year. This year he needs 5Ts for the length.

I need pull-on pants for him (he hates the way zippers and buttons/snaps feel.) I have tried ON, Baby Gap, Target and Carters - the waists on all the 5Ts are too big on him. I could nip the sides in on some of the pants to make the waists smaller, but he refuses to wear pants that I alter because the waistbands don't lie flat. I need pants that fit out of the gate.

So I need pants that come in a 5T and have an exceptionally small waist. No buttons/zippers/snaps. Fleece, athletic pants, sweats are all OK.

Mikey0709
09-22-2013, 02:07 PM
My boys have lived in the lands end pull on pants... I think they're called iron knee pants now. They come in slim, regular and husky. Worth every penny for us! Now that back to school is over you may see some discounts on them, and i always see slim sizes in the clearance and overstocks.

mmsmom
09-22-2013, 02:56 PM
The Children's Place has pull-on pants with an adjustable waist in slim sizes on their website. You can not buy the slim in-store.

Kindra178
09-22-2013, 04:19 PM
I am having a heck of a time finding pants for DS. He's 7, but very tiny and slim for his age. The only pants he would were last year were 4T Cherokee sweats from Target, but I can't find the same ones this year. This year he needs 5Ts for the length.

I need pull-on pants for him (he hates the way zippers and buttons/snaps feel.) I have tried ON, Baby Gap, Target and Carters - the waists on all the 5Ts are too big on him. I could nip the sides in on some of the pants to make the waists smaller, but he refuses to wear pants that I alter because the waistbands don't lie flat. I need pants that fit out of the gate.

So I need pants that come in a 5T and have an exceptionally small waist. No buttons/zippers/snaps. Fleece, athletic pants, sweats are all OK.

After going through this same analysis, we found Gymbo athletic pants that worked. Gymbo used to run huge, but I think their newer stuff runs on track. They are lined athletic type pants with the stripe down the side:

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446028924&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374303840543&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1379961305776&productSizeSelected=0&fit_type=

Llb would be another option. Gap also makes slim athletic pants.

I agree with other posters that anything with a T will be too wide in the waist.

westwoodmom04
09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
The Lands End slims are just that and they come in a size 5. Those are probably the most narrow waists we've found for boys. Some of the Boden stuff also runs slim, but its hard to tell which styles without a try on.

larig
09-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Try size 4 or 5/6 (not 4t) at Kohls in their fleece cargo pants. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1502296/jumping-beans-fleece-cargo-pants-boys-4-7x.jspDS is pretty skinny, and they fit him okay. He also can wear H&M's slim pull-on jeans. I love these so much, they're really cute. http://www.hm.com/us/product/04783?article=04783-A ETA: you should be able to get the kohl's pants for under $10.

ETA: the jumping bean pant link broke...here's a new one http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1502296/jumping-beans-fleece-cargo-pants-boys-4-7x.jsp The pepper color is my favorite--it's a dark grey.

IansMom
09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
I have a slim boy as well. When he wore a 5T last year, Kohls Jumping Beans brand, JCPenney's Okie Dokie, and Target's Circo brand had the smallest waists. He also wear adjustable waist pants from the Children's Place. I have also ordered the slim sizes from Lands End and they fit him perfectly.

hellokitty
09-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Hanes sweat pants. Yes the cheap ones are one of the only pull on pants that can fit my oldest son. He is 9 and can still fit into 3t's. I also have to make sure that I buy him slim cut pants with adjustable waists. Since the slims without the adjustable waist fall right off if him.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

ArizonaGirl
09-22-2013, 11:03 PM
You guys are opening up my small people clothing world. :bighand:

I did not know that the pants from TCP and the like came in a slim version. DS needs the 5T for the length, but literally the pants cinched all of the way on both sides are falling off of his teeny little hiney.

I'm off to further investigate :hysterical:

ett
09-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Another recommendation for the LE climber pants. My skinny DS2 can get away with the regulars if I tighten the waist or they have them in slim too.

ECMom
09-23-2013, 10:38 AM
My son wore Gymboree athletic pants (love them!) and the Jumping Bean brand from Kohls. Unfortunately my DD has the same issues but doesn't like Jumping Bean because they are not stylish! I'm still on the look-out for her :).

nfceagles
09-23-2013, 12:05 PM
My 8 yr old is currently outgrowing his 5s for length, but not fitting into 6s yet, so I feel for you. I also like Jumpin Bean from Kohls. I have luck with Carter's, but find their quality disappointing. Have you tried a 5, not 5T, in Carters? They do offer both and they are different. The T sizes run wider. Lands End also fit DS pretty well. The Children's Place slim pull-on cargo pants also fit well, but I am so tired of ironing cargo pockets.

mommylamb
09-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I find Next to be really good for skinny kids (not their baby line, just the regular kid clothes). DS1 wears slims in TCP and elsewhere, but regular (non skinny) next pants fit him fine. They have lots of pull on options.

arivecchi
09-23-2013, 02:00 PM
My string bean DS1 wears Carters athletic pants. They fit him well in the waist. Some Carter and LE ones have adjustable waists too so we use those at times but he much prefers the soft carters ones. PM me if you want links.

Green_Tea
09-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Thank you all so much!! So many great options to explore. You rock!

hillview
09-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Another recommendation for the LE climber pants. My skinny DS2 can get away with the regulars if I tighten the waist or they have them in slim too.

:yeahthat:

Green_Tea
09-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Are the Climber pants soft? We have been give several pairs of LE pants as hand me downs, but DS always complained about how stiff they are (he has the same complaint about many Boden pants, too - I can't tell you how many Boden purchases have been sent back between the waists being too big and the fabric being too thick and uncomfortable.) He likes comfy clothes, like athletic pants, but these are hard to find in slims. I'd be willing to try the climbers, but the fabric looks kind of stiff.

Green_Tea
09-23-2013, 08:23 PM
I agree with other posters that anything with a T will be too wide in the waist.

I understand why this is supposed to be true, but when I compare the waists on the 5Ts to the 5s at Target, the 5s are WAY huger. Even the 4s are. And they are both miles too long. I had the same experience at Carters. It seems to me that the cuts of the T clothes are more generous, but the waists are actually smaller. I don't mind fuller cut pants, I just want them to stay up!

larig
09-23-2013, 09:01 PM
I understand why this is supposed to be true, but when I compare the waists on the 5Ts to the 5s at Target, the 5s are WAY huger. Even the 4s are. And they are both miles too long. I had the same experience at Carters. It seems to me that the cuts of the T clothes are more generous, but the waists are actually smaller. I don't mind fuller cut pants, I just want them to stay up!

I just don't think that 5T and 5 are the same size in all stores. Like at Kohl's, they have 2T-4T then you go 4-7. I assumed the 4T and the 4 were same, but bigger butt for the diaper in the 4T. Nope. The 4 are longer. So with Kohl's size, DS, who is 42" and thin at age 5 wears a 4 there.

Green_Tea
09-23-2013, 09:02 PM
I just don't think that 5T and 5 are the same size in all stores. Like at Kohl's, they have 2T-4T then you go 4-7. I assumed the 4T and the 4 were same, but bigger butt for the diaper in the 4T. Nope. The 4 are longer. So with Kohl's size, DS, who is 42" and thin at age 5 wears a 4 there.

I think you're totally right about that. Now if I could convince DS to come WITH me to shop, this would all be much easier!

ett
09-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Are the Climber pants soft? We have been give several pairs of LE pants as hand me downs, but DS always complained about how stiff they are (he has the same complaint about many Boden pants, too - I can't tell you how many Boden purchases have been sent back between the waists being too big and the fabric being too thick and uncomfortable.) He likes comfy clothes, like athletic pants, but these are hard to find in slims. I'd be willing to try the climbers, but the fabric looks kind of stiff.

They're khaki material, not knit.

Kindra178
09-23-2013, 10:04 PM

I know they get a lot of love here, but my dses think of climber pants as church pants. They are more comfy than a traditional chino, but they are not athletic pants/fleece pants comfortwise.