PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED! Need to decide on a video baby monitor this week...Which one to buy?

bisous
09-23-2013, 03:59 AM
I'm torn between the highly reviewed Motorola and the Angel Care 4 in 1. I think I will like the motion monitoring aspect of the Angel Care but I'm worried that because it is an "all in one" it will not work great for video. Which would you buy? My parents are buying for me and I don't want to waste their money.

Thank you!

Updated in post 18!

bostonsmama
09-23-2013, 08:25 AM
I have a junky Summer video monitor that has broken twice (once under extended warranty, which *I* would buy again), and I also had the simple Angel Care monitor that was either too sensitive or not sensitive enough and gave us a few really annoying false alarms and couldn't be used with a ceiling fan (b/c it detected it as motion even if the baby was taken out of the crib). IIWY, I'd wait as close as possible to baby's due date and buy then. Most take all of 5 minutes to unpack and set up, but your warranty starts ticking the minute you buy it. With our first Summer unit, we received it as an early gift from my dad, but by the time DD was 6 months old, it was almost out of warranty. It inevitably broke when she was 9 months old, and they didn't do squat b/c the 1-year warranty was expired as far as receipt's purchase date. We bought a nicer Summer with a warranty, and it, too, broke after 7 months, but we got a new one mailed within 3 weeks (ugh, that was awful waiting). This new one has been working perfectly ever since and DD is ~3. So, that's my experience.

MSWR0319
09-23-2013, 08:48 AM
We have the Motorola MBP36 I think and love it!

georgiegirl
09-23-2013, 09:59 AM
I have a samsung in that's similar to the Motorola one. I love it. My sis has the Motorola one, and the talk-back voice feature is clearer on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SEW-3037W-Wireless-Monitor-Infrared/dp/B00A4K8FX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379944698&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+baby+monitor

barkley1
09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't have been aBle to sleep without the Angelcare. So, that would have made the decision for me. But, just a idea...we use two different monitors. At the time, Angelcare wasn't available w video (probably couldn't have afforded it if it did!), so we used Angelcare for monitoring/sound (it's the best sound wise we've had, better than Sony babycall), and a separate Summer video monitor for video, with the sound off. It has horrible sound quality, don't know how anyone uses it for both. Anyway, I picked up the videos cheap off Craigslist, And even found another one when we had DD that we used with it. You can see them both, just have to switch channels.

AngB
09-23-2013, 10:49 AM
We have had great luck with our angel care, no false alarms unless ds1 has been in there and loosens the plug, we usually have the fan and it doesn't pick tht up for movement for us (i can take him out with the fan on and it goes off), I would love the video monitor one, personally.

bisous
09-23-2013, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't have been aBle to sleep without the Angelcare. So, that would have made the decision for me. But, just a idea...we use two different monitors. At the time, Angelcare wasn't available w video (probably couldn't have afforded it if it did!), so we used Angelcare for monitoring/sound (it's the best sound wise we've had, better than Sony babycall), and a separate Summer video monitor for video, with the sound off. It has horrible sound quality, don't know how anyone uses it for both. Anyway, I picked up the videos cheap off Craigslist, And even found another one when we had DD that we used with it. You can see them both, just have to switch channels.

That sounds like a great solution! After reading some accounts here, I really, really wanted the angelcare monitor. BUT I think the video component would be so great too. It seems from reading reviews on Amazon that the video monitoring portion of the angelcare is not that great...

I've looked on our craigslist. There are no video monitors right now but loads of cheap angelcare monitors. Any reason I shouldn't pick up one of those used and have my parents buy the video monitor?

bisous
09-23-2013, 11:24 AM
We have had great luck with our angel care, no false alarms unless ds1 has been in there and loosens the plug, we usually have the fan and it doesn't pick tht up for movement for us (i can take him out with the fan on and it goes off), I would love the video monitor one, personally.

And my other idea is to just go with the Angelcare 4 in 1 and deal with "crappy" video. Especially since I have nothing to compare it to. It has got to be better than nothing, right?

specialp
09-23-2013, 11:30 AM
I would buy the separate units which is what we do. However, I am a big believer in buying one thing that does its intended job well over something else that does 4 different things not so well. Learned from kitchen appliances, but carried over into everything else. :)

daniele_ut
09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
I had 2 NICU babies and never used a movement monitor but I did consider buying one with the second. Not to confuse you more, but if I were buying one today I'd probably buy the Snuza over the Angelcare.

http://www.amazon.com/Snuza-Halo-Baby-Movement-Monitor/dp/B002ITOC7S

We also haven't used a video monitor before but I have a climber on my hands and I'm worried he's going to be climbing out of his crib. I really don't want to spend $200+ on a dedicated video monitor for him so I've been thinking about using a Foscam wi-fi camera and an iPhone app, as detailed here:

http://teachmeios.com/audio-video-baby-monitor-setup-with-iphone-ipad-mini-ipod-touch/

specialp
09-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Yes, we used the snuza over the angelcare + Motorolla. I do think it is a good idea a PP suggested about waiting until the last minute b/c of warranty issues. Our snuza started draining batteries and we were within the warranty period so they quickly gave us a new one and we haven't changed a battery since nor had any problems and that was a long time ago. But it was an excellent point and I wished I would have thought of it when buying for my baby!

bisous
09-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Okay, thanks for the tips! I'll read up on the Snuza and the other video options. I do like the idea of integration but maybe separate systems will work better. I think I'll have DH help with this tonight. I'm only 6 weeks away from this baby coming so it seems close to me, but I suppose there is no rush. I think my mom wanted to buy me something I can open at the baby shower I will be having this weekend.

kaharris83
09-23-2013, 02:38 PM
We also never used an Angelcare or movement monitor. We have a Foscam that I use with my computer and our Android phones. We love it.

AngB
09-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Okay, thanks for the tips! I'll read up on the Snuza and the other video options. I do like the idea of integration but maybe separate systems will work better. I think I'll have DH help with this tonight. I'm only 6 weeks away from this baby coming so it seems close to me, but I suppose there is no rush. I think my mom wanted to buy me something I can open at the baby shower I will be having this weekend.

We had the snuza too and really disliked it. LOTS of false alarms-once I watched it go off while ds was hiccuping. Another time it went off while I was holding him and we were both breathing. We had the one that vibrated then had a shrill alarm...not fun to have it on a sleeping baby that is in fact breathing normally who is now awake b/c of the darn thing. I also was not a fan of having to take it off and put it back on for middle of the night diaper changes in the early months. The idea is nice and maybe we had a dud, but we didn't like ours at all.

If you get a used angelcare (good idea), get one of the newer used ones (tealish blue with the temperature monitor thing..loved the temp feature since the boys' room is a different temp) vs. the first style used ones (more plain blue, no temp thing), I think many of the complaints from it re: sensitivity had the first model which I think was vastly improved on the second round.

Nobetterdeal.com has a lot of monitors lately and free return shipping, just make sure you test it out when you get it as they do sell amazon returns so you may end up with a brand new one or one that doesn't work, it can be hit and miss. (I have had great luck with kid's stuff and my camera and fitbit, but DH has gotten a broken video game and ps3 from them-easy to return but just check it.)

bisous
09-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Just wanted to update. I ordered the Samsung that Georgiegirl linked from Nobetterdeal.com. It isn't here yet but it sounds awesome. I'm on the hunt for an angel care monitor on craigslist. Thanks to AngB for steering me towards the newer look. I think that will be really helpful. While the snuza looks awesome, I'm afraid the fact that it is on the diaper will really bug me!

We're going to be all monitored out with this baby. Maybe that will help me with peace of mind this time around.

Thanks, all!

georgiegirl
09-28-2013, 08:45 AM
I bet you will like the monitor! I tested out my sisters Motorola and I like the Samsung better. They daytime video is super clear, and the nighttime is fuzzy...but that's typical for night vision. The pan/tilt controls are very easy to use. I have a second camera since my 4 year old still wakes up.

Oh, I it's bought a snuza for Ds2. I picked it over the angelcare since he naps and sleeps in random places. I saw on one video that you can clip it to fitted pants too, which is probably what I will do.

barkley1
09-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Just wanted to update. I ordered the Samsung that Georgiegirl linked from Nobetterdeal.com. It isn't here yet but it sounds awesome. I'm on the hunt for an angel care monitor on craigslist. Thanks to AngB for steering me towards the newer look. I think that will be really helpful. While the snuza looks awesome, I'm afraid the fact that it is on the diaper will really bug me!

We're going to be all monitored out with this baby. Maybe that will help me with peace of mind this time around.

Thanks, all!

Oh, good choice on the Angelcare vs. Snuza. I forgot we had one of those too....shows how little it got used. It just wasn't as reliable. I actually got it to use when we travelled w/ the PNP - I was too anxious to even go one night w/o the Angelcare! BUT, later I figured out the Angelcare would work with the PNP, too (not the bassinet part tho), so I started taking it w/ me everywhere we went. My friend travelled so much she went so far as to have one angelcare to leave inthe crib, and one that was for travel exclusively. (Ha! The life!!)

bisous
11-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Just wanted to update and say that we LOVE the Samsung video monitor! It works great during the day and at night. I find the pan and tilt functions to be really useful. LOVE it and highly recommend! I got a good deal on nobetterdeal.com so look there if you want to get a good price. :) Hope this helps someone!

Philly Mom
11-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Just wanted to update and say that we LOVE the Samsung video monitor! It works great during the day and at night. I find the pan and tilt functions to be really useful. LOVE it and highly recommend! I got a good deal on nobetterdeal.com so look there if you want to get a good price. :) Hope this helps someone!

Thanks!! We need a new monitor. DD has been sleeping in our room but in a couple weeks I will move her to her own room.

As a total off topic, but does your DD nap in her crib? What do you do to get her to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

lakefr
01-08-2014, 11:13 PM

Thank you! I am looking for a monitor. I had never heard of nobetterdeal.com. They really do have good deals!