PDA

View Full Version : Edema tips and tricks

bisous
09-23-2013, 01:55 PM
This is my biggest struggle and biggest source of discomfort during pregnancy. This is my FOURTH. With each of my previous pregnancies I have been swollen very early, usually early in the 2nd trimester. It just seems to be "my struggle". Well, this time around I've been compiling tips and tricks that I've seen mentioned and I feel like I'm in a better position than I ever have been. I have 6 weeks to go and am still comfortable and can see my ankles, lol.

Here's what has worked for me.

First, sitting is the worst. I'm lucky because I am not working this pregnancy. If I had my old desk job I could not avoid sitting and it would be hard to keep the edema at bay. By contrast, being up and on my feet has been LESS likely to cause swelling. I think this is because of the nature of how I move around. I seldom just stand there, i don't have one of those jobs either! Rather, I am chasing after three kids, picking things up off the floor, fetching things, lifting kids, moving from room to room and I think it somehow must count for light activity. I was shocked on the day of DS3's birthday party I was pretty tired. I had a lot of moving around and prep work to do. But my edema was never really very bad. At all! I wasn't swollen the next day either. Basically, sitting still is bad. Moving around is actually good!

Exercise has been something that I've noticed to make a difference. I've gone on near daily walks with DS3 in the stroller now that school has started. While it seems that sometimes my fingers and ankles get swollen while out walking, it seems to have an effect that reduces swelling in the hours that follow. On days (like Sunday) where I don't walk, that evening and the following day I feel more swollen.

Water is important of course. Finding a way to make plain old water more palatable was key to helping me stay hydrated and less swollen. I like my water in a water bottle with ice and a sport spout or in a glass cup with a straw. No ice, no straw and I won't drink it. Hey, whatever it takes!

Something new I've been trying and think works REALLY well is dry brushing. I use a back brush that I bought at Target for $5. I usually do this right after my big walk and before my shower. I brush my skin with a stiff brush. I think there are probably techniques to employ but I don't really follow any specific pattern. I just find that brushing my whole leg is hugely effective at keeping the swelling at bay. Who would have known?

I have found that the four things above are more effective than anything dietary. I do think I'm more swollen if I eat really salty food, but if I keep active, exercise, drink water and dry brush my skin, I'm still okay. So far!

What haven't I done this time around? Last pregnancy I bought some nice compression stockings. They did seem to work at keeping my legs from swelling. But they were really hard to get on and off and they were hot and I could always feel them, if that makes sense. I think that if I had a job where I was on my feet standing a lot or sitting at a computer desk a lot I'd wear the stockings. Since I have the luxury of moving around during the day and using the other techniques (drinking water, exercising and dry brushing) I don't need the stocking.

The last 6 weeks can be the worst but so far, so good!

Just thought I'd share in case someone else has this problem. This time around the 4th time is the charm. :)

MamaMolly
09-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Regular massages really helped my swelling the second time around.

bisous
09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Regular massages really helped my swelling the second time around.

That sounds awesome. Maybe I need to try that suggestion...you know, for science. ;)