PDA

View Full Version : Question about Frye Boots (Melissa Button)

lmintzer
09-23-2013, 02:17 PM
I have been on a search for long, black boots. I tried last year toward the end of the season but had to give up. I am hard to fit, because I am only 5'2", so everything comes up too high on me. I also have a somewhat larger calf (I never thought my calves looked big--maybe boots are cut really narrow).

So, this time around, I tried some Frye boots. The Veronica Slouch looked promising, but the foot really hurt me. I tried the Melissa Button Extended Calf and found the calf size on my left leg to be perfect and my right leg to be a little snug but not too bad (seems like something that will stretch after a few wearings).

The problem was the foot sizing. I tried a 7 first, and I found them comfortable in the width, but a bit long (a good thumb's width of space in the front) and the heel slips when I walk. The 6.5 slips less in the heel, seems fine in the length, but seems a bit too narrow and presses slightly on top too (not quite a high enough toe box). I was shopping in the morning, so no swollen feet either.

I took home the 7, but am wondering if there is too much heel slippage. Is there such thing? Will it matter? It feels strange to me, and I feel like I'm walking a bit funny, but will I just adjust? I've never had this style of boot before, so maybe this just takes some getting used to.

Are there special thick "boot socks" I can wear to take up a little space if necessary?

I could exchange them for the 6.5, but I do fear the right foot being too narrow.

On the bright side, the shaft height is just perfect. Hits me at a very nice spot on my leg.

Any thoughts?

joonbug
09-23-2013, 03:28 PM
I Think as a rule cowboy or western inspired boots are supposed to have some heel slippage. Not an expert here lol. Heel slipping never bothered me and I suppose it will be much less of a problem when they break in.

SnuggleBuggles
09-23-2013, 03:38 PM
I hated that about mine and returned them. Plus, hey were just not that comfortable in the foot bed (not enough padding for my liking).

lauren3110
09-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I was told by a store that sells them here that Fryes all have heel slippage for about a month until they soften and form to your foot better? I haven't bought them yet though to talk from experience

abh5e8
09-23-2013, 06:27 PM
my frye (not melissa, mine are paige) boots softened up after a couple of weeks and not i don't have any heel slippage.

lmintzer
09-23-2013, 11:12 PM
I tried them on again at home, and I wonder if they are just too big. There is a fair bit of heel slippage. I keep reading conflcting information: one camp says these kind of boots have to have slippage at the beginning and the other says "buy them snug--they stretch."

I think I'm going to take them to my local shoe repair guy for an opinon. I'd love it if he could just give me some inserts. That way, I could keep them in this size--a little roomy--so I could fit thicker socks in the winter and not have to worry about the width.

specialp
09-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Did any of the other brands you tried feel better in the foot even if the shaft height was a little too tall for you? Those are beautiful, but Frye boots do not fit me well and aren't comfortable to me.

lmintzer
09-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Did any of the other brands you tried feel better in the foot even if the shaft height was a little too tall for you? Those are beautiful, but Frye boots do not fit me well and aren't comfortable to me.

I tried on a pair of Ecco boots with adjustable buckles going up the side that felt wonderful in the foot (and the adjustable buckles made the fit of the leg just perfect). However, when I sat down, they dug in under the knee. I knew they would never be right. I am just too short!

I see a pair of Clarks on line that have a 15" shaft that also have some cute buckles. I am going head over to our local Clark's store and try them. They may be too high in the back, too.

The best thing about this particular pair of Fryes is the way they are cut out at the top in the front and the back. They are just the right height and are flattering on someone with shorter legs. Now if only the foot part worked better. Still haven't given up on the idea of taking them to the shoe repair guy, at least to take a look.

lauren3110
09-24-2013, 10:39 PM
I am trying a pair of borns from the garnet hill sale. They have a 14" shaft. I hoping they work for my shorter legs as well.

mom2binsd
09-25-2013, 03:39 AM
Being short and having anything more than skinny calves makes boot shopping difficult-boots are designed to curve with the "regular height" person in mind, and on a shorter person (I"m 4'11") our calves largest width is much lower than others. I finally found a pair last year, I tried on lots and lots and was so discouraged. If you can, look for wide calf boots.

I do find that I don't like driving with my boots on as they seem to catch on the seat where my legs hit the seat cushion.

ourbabygirl
09-25-2013, 09:08 AM
No advice on the Fryes (I bought a pair of Melissa buttons last year, I think, when Amazon had their amazing sale, but returned them because they just felt weird on my feet). But I recently bought a pair of Clarks tall boots (Mullin Spice) and love them! You can adjust the shaft with the buckle to be tighter for tights/ leggings or looser for skinny jeans/ pants. I've worn them a couple times and I'm wearing them again today to find a dressy winter outfit to go with them. I always buy Clarks, though, as I have fussy feet (bunions and Plantar Fasciitis in one foot), so I like having a brand I can go back to all the time. :) I bought mine on Amazon, btw.

lmintzer
09-25-2013, 03:14 PM
No advice on the Fryes (I bought a pair of Melissa buttons last year, I think, when Amazon had their amazing sale, but returned them because they just felt weird on my feet). But I recently bought a pair of Clarks tall boots (Mullin Spice) and love them! You can adjust the shaft with the buckle to be tighter for tights/ leggings or looser for skinny jeans/ pants. I've worn them a couple times and I'm wearing them again today to find a dressy winter outfit to go with them. I always buy Clarks, though, as I have fussy feet (bunions and Plantar Fasciitis in one foot), so I like having a brand I can go back to all the time. :) I bought mine on Amazon, btw.

This is so funny! I just went into the Clark's store and tried Mullin Spice boots on yeserday. I am having a pair sent to my house (the ones in the store were scratched). They were pretty comfy! My left foot felt perfect, and my right was pretty good. It was maybe the tiniest little bit snug in one spot (not enough to be a problem--I'm sure it would stretch). The only question I had was whether or not I would be bothered by the inside part of the boot where the footbed is attached--the piece up by the ankle sticks out and was bothering one of my feet. The salesperson told me it would soften. I hope so, because I agree--the Melissa Buttons just feel strange and heavy on my feet. Now if only I could find my Clark's 20% off coupon!!!

ourbabygirl
09-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah, not sure about that piece that bothers you. I actually got a half-size bigger than usual (I'm usually about a 7.5, though sometimes I'll get an 8 to be safe, and I got an 8.5 in these to make sure they'd be comfortable/ wide enough for the cold months and wearing thicker socks). Good luck! I'm sure that you like whatever you end up with! :)

lmintzer
09-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Yeah, not sure about that piece that bothers you. I actually got a half-size bigger than usual (I'm usually about a 7.5, though sometimes I'll get an 8 to be safe, and I got an 8.5 in these to make sure they'd be comfortable/ wide enough for the cold months and wearing thicker socks). Good luck! I'm sure that you like whatever you end up with! :)

If you stick your hand in and feel, you'll see. I don't know boot/shoe part terminology--there's a piece at the back that slopes up a few inches above the footbed. It does stick out more in this boot thn in others.

Intersting about sizing up--the person helping me in the store encouraged me not too--said these will stretch and it would be too big on me if I did. She also suggested that the 1/2 size up might be slightly taller, and I don't want anything coming up any higher in the back. This is just barely okay in terms of shaft length for someone my height.

I guess I could always try a 1/2 size up and compare! I have finicky feet too. Nothing feels good on them!

ourbabygirl
09-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah, these are really the only pair of shoes/ boots that I have in such a large size, but it felt like what I needed for my feet to feel comfortable/ not restricted, especially when I'm so used to wearing flip-flops in the summer and slip-ons in the spring and fall. My darn bunions make it so that I need slightly wider shoes (not technically "W," but there are a lot of types that won't work because of how they're made, they're too narrow for me). The problem with a lot of 'wide' width boots, at least from my searching last year, is that the shaft is wider, which I don't need. There's another pair of tall boots at the Clarks store, but the leather is a bit cheaper, so the price is also lower (the Mullin Spice ones are made in Romania, versus China or something for the cheaper ones).

lmintzer
10-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Just wanted to update--
I wound up exchanging my Mullin Spice in a 6.5 for a 7. Definitely the right decision due to the spot on my right foot that tends to feel pressed on. Ourbabygirl--thanks so much for your feedback on these boots. I've worn them a few times and love them so far! I'm super excited to have boots that can be adjusted to fit my calves and that aren't so high that they hit the back of my knee. They are super cute, too--and warm! The lining will be great when the temp drops here. : )

ourbabygirl
10-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Great! Glad you like them and found a pair that fit well! :) I've been wearing mine with skinny jeans and leggings, but I'm also on the lookout for a pencil skirt or dress to wear them with for some dressier occasions.

lmintzer
10-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Great! Glad you like them and found a pair that fit well! :) I've been wearing mine with skinny jeans and leggings, but I'm also on the lookout for a pencil skirt or dress to wear them with for some dressier occasions.

I've also worn them with skinny jeans and with leggings. I think they'd be cute with a sweater dress or a jersey knit dress. AT Loft has some cute ones and has a 50% off sale right now.

Did you treat your boots with Clark's waterproofing rub-on cream? I have some but haven't put it on yet.

ourbabygirl
10-23-2013, 10:29 PM
No, but that's a good idea! I have some spray from them that I bought last fall for some boots I gave DH, and I really need to get on that since we've been having flurries already this week! :thumbsdown: