PDA

View Full Version : WTH is wrong with my feet??

Green_Tea
09-25-2013, 05:29 PM
This is part bitch, part plea for help.

I have tiny feet (size 4-4.5, occasionally a 5) and have an extremely hard time finding comfortable shoes. I have been known to spend an absurd amount of $$ of shoes because I have such a hard time finding decent options.

The bitch part:
I just spent $300 on AGL flats. According to everyone I know who has them, the entire internet, and every shoe salesperson at Nordstrom, these are the most comfortable shoes on the entire planet. Yet after wearing them for two days, the backs of my heels are torn up and my feet just feel tired and sore. I have this problem with almost every shoe I wear, unless they are Danskos, flip flops, or sneakers***. Just when I find a brand I like, they tweak their sizing or design and I am back to square one. TOMS worked great for me when they first got popular, and I bought three pairs. Went back to replace my beloved grey ones and they changed the length on the size fives. Now they are totally too big for me. Same deal with Tieks. Bought a black pair that I LOVE. Tried red and pewter and they fit entirely differently. I have never once found a pair of heels that do not tear my feet to shreds and reduce me to hobbling. I have tried the Cole Haan Air ones, and pretty much every other luxury brand. I LIMPED out of DH's HS reunion last weekend after 3 hours in kitten heels. I actually took them off and walked barefoot across the parking lot. These were not cheap, crappy heels - they were buttery soft Italian leather.

In short, my feet are jerks.

The plea for help:
Can someone recommend Band Aids that will actually STAY on my heels? I replaced them at least 3 times today between the hours of 7 am and 2 pm. They just won't stay on, they bunch, they roll. HELP.

***The first person to tell me to just wear flip flops all the time gets a Dansko to the head.

Katigre
09-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Have you had your feet evaluated by an ortho? I wonder if there is some skeletal or tendon issue at play making them hurt so much in sites.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

mikala
09-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Have you had your feet evaluated by an ortho? I wonder if there is some skeletal or tendon issue at play making them hurt so much in sites.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

Agreed, or a podiatrist? You might also like the barking dogs shoe blog. Someone here recommended it and it's been great for my feet, not so good for my wallet!

Re:bandages, I really like the nexcare ones for my feet. They seal all the way around so they don't snag on the bandage edge like regular ones. You might also try moleskin.
http://m.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcaremobile/Home/Product-Catalog/?N=5927929+4326+3294529207&rt=mr3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LGKN0K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1380145693&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

amom526
09-25-2013, 05:56 PM
As a fellow foot sufferer, I can say that I have never found a bandaid that will stay on my heel if I am wearing shoes. I have also had people swear up and down that they have the most comfortable shoes ever, only to fond myself literally crying in pain while trying to walk.

I had 2 pairs of Franco Sarto flats that were so comfy, but the next ones I tried were a no go. I have also had successes with Anne Klein sport flats, and I have gone through a few of those. I have a pair of keds flats that I refuse to give up, because I know I will not be able to replace them. Grr

elbenn
09-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Tough strips waterproof kind stay on much better than other kinds. I don't know if they will stay on your heels though.

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Aid-Adhesive-Bandages-Strips-Waterproof/dp/B00596VALS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380146432&sr=8-1&keywords=bandaids+waterproof+tough+strip

specialp
09-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Oh, that's frustrating! Were they comfortable at first? I have a problem with my left foot and it helps me not to wear the same new shoe for 2 days in a row until they are more broken in and form to my feet better. Wondering if that (alternating days) would help for a while.

Green_Tea
09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
I am sure that I could go to an ortho or podiatrist, but I strongly suspect that their advice will be to not wear shoes that are uncomfortable and to stick with Danskos and sneakers. There is nothing visibly WRONG with my feet, and I am a-ok in certain shoes. They're just not the kind of shoes I WANT to wear ;). I'm 38, not 88.

Thanks for the Band Aid recs!

joules
09-25-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't have any advice, just some commiseration.

I hate my feet!! I am 7.5 but have to wear 8 because of my wide feet (which got wider after DS1 and DS2). I had to toss all my size 7.5 shoes recently. I have never been able to wear flats or pumps. My heels fall out even though my heels look normal to me, they aren't narrow or anything. Sizing down does not help. ever. Either my feet won't fit the next size down, or any type of rubbing causes blisters on my heels. I think I have the most delicate feet skin in the world. It doesn't help that my feet sweat too. All my heels have to have some sort of strap - ankle strap or slingback. My wide feet spill out of all flip flops, except my crocs. Also most thong flip flops don't stay on my feet (wide feet = gap between my toes that can't grip onto the thong part). I tried FitFlops, but they don't look nice on me.

Have you tried using a friction stick? I dunno if that will help. I have one but haven't used it yet.

trales
09-25-2013, 08:04 PM
I think you might be stuck with some custom shoes. I know these are not everyday shoes, but Limmer boot Company makes some great hiking boots and they are custom cut to your feet. At least you could hike in comfort and they are only around $250.

vtmom
09-25-2013, 08:36 PM
My heels are prone to blisters in new shoes too. I have had some success with large 2x4 inch bandaids staying put. They peek above the edge of the shoe a bit but its better than shredded heels and pain for days.

SummerBaby
09-25-2013, 08:37 PM
I totally feel your pain- literally. I also hate my feet- only I am a 10 wide- mostly due to bunions. I have seen a podiatrist and you are correct- they just tell you to wear sneakers or granny shoes. As for band aids- Band Aid brand makes special band aids just for blisters. They are great and will stay on all day.

speo
09-25-2013, 08:55 PM
I am sure that I could go to an ortho or podiatrist, but I strongly suspect that their advice will be to not wear shoes that are uncomfortable and to stick with Danskos and sneakers. There is nothing visibly WRONG with my feet, and I am a-ok in certain shoes. They're just not the kind of shoes I WANT to wear ;). I'm 38, not 88.

Thanks for the Band Aid recs!

I suspect they might also tell you to spend money on orthotics also. ;) My feet are very delicate also. I have had several stress fractures, I am nursing plantar fasciitis now (from excessive flip flop wear), and I get tendonitis. I feel so frumpy having to wear running shoes every day for the last 2 months to try and get rid of the fasciitis.

mmommy
09-25-2013, 09:04 PM
I've never had luck with bandages on feet, but I got a friction stick, and when I remember to use it (when my feet are in good shape and I'm going to wear new shoes) it has worked to keep me from getting a blister or raw area.

twowhat?
09-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Someone here buys TOMs in kids sizes for herself. So I bet you could do that!!

Sorry about the finicky feet:(

AshleyAnn
09-25-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't have any miracle solutions for you but I can commiserate with you - I'm a size 5. Shoe stores don't even stock 5's. I have to special order then hope they fit. Its a pain. For all things flat I wear kids shoes.

I use mole skin for shoe issues. I always aim to cover above and below the area the shoe moves or it makes it worse.

nfowife
09-25-2013, 10:29 PM
No advice, just commiseration. My feet are horrible and I cannot wear heels of any kind. I feel like I'm 100 instead of 36 :(.

StantonHyde
09-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Here is a no-fail solution to prevent blisters. Buy tincture of benzoine. (sp?) It's orange and sticky. I find mine at REI. Then get regular white first aid tape (they sell J&J in the grocery store). Rub the benzoine on the spot with a Q-tip. Then immediately apply the tape to the spot. If its a big spot, you can put several lines of tape on the spot. I usually put the benzoine on a larger area than the actual spot and the same thing with the tape. This will NOT come off. This is what I use when I am backpacking to prevent blisters to my toes and I put it on any hot spots that develop. I have had it stay on for several days (but I wasn't taking a shower in the middle of the wilderness :p).

oneplustwo
09-25-2013, 10:46 PM
I am so sorry for all the pain and grief your feet give you, but good golly, your post made me laugh too. Especially the part about a Dansko to the head. :) I agree, your feet are jerks to you if they fuss in such nice shoes. You have probably already tried these brands, but you could check out Anyi Lu shoes to see if any of those work on your feet. Anyi is an engineer-turned-shoe designer who has tiny feet and wanted comfy shoes in her size that were stylish. Maybe her shoes would work for you? At least there are many options in your size!

Anyi Lu shoes at Nordies: http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?origin=keywordsearch&contextualcategoryid=2375500&keyword=anyi+lu

Article on Anyi Lu: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/jobs/21boss.html?_r=0 (Oh just realized this is more a blog she wrote about herself in the NYT)

YMMV, though ~ I've found some of the Anyi shoes comfy and some not so much. And for perspective, I find my AGL flats super comfy.

What about Stuart Weitzman? Any of those work for your feet?

OOPS scratch that ~ I just realized you weren't asking for ideas of shoes to try! Another vote for moleskin, more likely to stay on the foot and can be pretty cushiony.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Yet after wearing them for two days, the backs of my heels are torn up and my feet just feel tired and sore. I have this problem with almost every shoe I wear, unless they are Danskos, flip flops, or sneakers

(snipped)

In short, my feet are jerks.

The plea for help:
Can someone recommend Band Aids that will actually STAY on my heels? I replaced them at least 3 times today between the hours of 7 am and 2 pm. They just won't stay on, they bunch, they roll. HELP.

WOW, this is ME except i wear a 9.5. And yes, the only shoes i can wear on a regular basis are FitFlops, Dansko clogs, or sneakers. It SUCKS. So many outfits look dumpy-ish bc i can't wear nice shoes with them. Flats are the WORST offender..i think because they have no structure at all and provide zero support.

I have no advice, just commiseration. I have gotten the blister thing too, and it's happened to me where i've tried shoes on but after wearing them for a day I get blisters. I usually get them on one foot...that's the problem- i think one foot is slightly bigger and so one foot will fit looser (that's where i get the blisters in the heel) and one will be tighter (where i get callouses etc on the tops of my feet). think on top of one being slightly different size I just have super sensitive feet. So does DH. DH had to wear custom orthotics, and those aren't cheap.

Anyway, no advice, just hugs. It really, really sucks to be a woman who cannot just wear a nice-looking pair of shoes :(

larig
09-25-2013, 11:34 PM
I don't have any miracle solutions for you but I can commiserate with you - I'm a size 5. Shoe stores don't even stock 5's. I have to special order then hope they fit. Its a pain. For all things flat I wear kids shoes.

I use mole skin for shoe issues. I always aim to cover above and below the area the shoe moves or it makes it worse.

I was going to suggest moleskin too.

crayonblue
09-26-2013, 02:39 AM
I feel your pain. I am a size 9 with extremely narrow heels but a normal size toe width. Which means narrow shoes kill my toes and normal width shoes flop off my heel. If I go with normal width and add padding to the heel, I end up slipping up and down anyway and ending the day with raw blisters on my heels.

I have three styles of shoes I can wear successfully: 1) running shoes, 2) flip flops and 3) Clarks' clogs. That's it. I may not be stylish but my feet don't hurt. :)

Avispa
09-26-2013, 02:56 AM
One thing that I was recommended for blisters,etc is bodyglide. I haven't tried it myself but I know people that swear by it.

ladysoapmaker
09-26-2013, 06:30 AM
I have a wide toe area and narrow heels. It's gotten to the point I will only go to a shoe store where I can be fitted and then I'm really picky as I want a shoe salesman who knows what they are talking about. I truly regret buying the heels I did for a business trip because I can't wear them more then an hour without pain. (I also don't normally wear heels so I don't know if it's due to the fact they don't fit properly or my feet are getting use to being in them)

My advice is to find a good shoe store, maybe one that does repair and develop a good relationship with them. I happen to have a good friend who works for a shoe repair that has a shoe store attached. The shoes are expensive however I've been able to find stylish shoes there. No heels but then again I could special order them....

Good luck,
Jennifer

♥ms.pacman♥
09-26-2013, 07:51 AM
I am sure that I could go to an ortho or podiatrist, but I strongly suspect that their advice will be to not wear shoes that are uncomfortable and to stick with Danskos and sneakers. There is nothing visibly WRONG with my feet, and I am a-ok in certain shoes. They're just not the kind of shoes I WANT to wear ;).

Yes, this is exactly the case here too :( In fact, i can't even wear regular flip flops bc they have no support, i have to wear Fit Flops (though at least those look somewhat stylish). My husband (who has even more issues with his feet) especially doesn't understand it AT ALL. He would be like "Why can't you just wear sneakers with that dress/skirt??" And yes, this makes me want to throat-punch him ;)

mommylamb
09-26-2013, 10:02 AM
I've never had luck with bandages on feet, but I got a friction stick, and when I remember to use it (when my feet are in good shape and I'm going to wear new shoes) it has worked to keep me from getting a blister or raw area.

I have never heard of a friction stick! Have I been living under a rock? If this works, I am so getting one!

lizzywednesday
09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Re:bandages, I really like the nexcare ones for my feet. They seal all the way around so they don't snag on the bandage edge like regular ones. You might also try moleskin.
http://m.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcaremobile/Home/Product-Catalog/?N=5927929+4326+3294529207&rt=mr3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LGKN0K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1380145693&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

:yeahthat:

I share your blister-issue, though I'm at the opposite end of the size spectrum (have a large number, wide-width foot) with various foot issues. I've had the best luck with Naturalizer and Clarks, though every now & again they do something that my foot doesn't like and it's back to square one.

Just remind yourself that Moleskin is preventative; bandages, like NexCare are post-ouchies.

Good luck!

lizzywednesday
09-26-2013, 01:09 PM
I have never heard of a friction stick! Have I been living under a rock? If this works, I am so getting one!

BodyGlide is one product I can think of that acts like a barrier between foot & shoe to help until the shoes have been broken in.

BunnyBee
09-26-2013, 01:48 PM

BodyGlide as PP said, or even stick deodorant in a pinch. It works on the bottoms of my feet (lots of walking, "running") but not as well on my heels if I'm walking in dressy shoes.

I have a wide toe box and narrow heels too. It sucks! I have very few dressy shoes that are all-day comfortable. I found this blog on another board this week and it's got some good ideas: http://www.barkingdogshoes.com/

marinkitty
09-26-2013, 02:02 PM
I second the suggestion for putting the sticky first aid tape on it. The really really sticky stuff. I have to do this whenever we go hiking and bring a roll along to doctor any new spots on the trail. It works wonders. The only other thing I've ever had luck with is the dancer tape ballerinas use to tape up their toes.

mmommy
09-26-2013, 05:46 PM
This is the stick I use: http://www.drugstore.com/band-aid-active-friction-block-stick/qxp163404

Gracemom
09-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Do you have a specialty shoe store near you? There was one near my sister's house that carried thousands of shoes in every size, especially super small and super large (I'm in the latter category). I would have to block out several hours and try on every pair in my size, then walk around the store in them forever before buying. So frustrating having a hard to fit foot! Sadly, that shoe store closed and I literally cried. Thankfully, I have found a brand that works for my foot (Privo by Clarks) and there is an outlet near me. Not every style fits well though, but the ones that do are amazing and I'm so glad I found them. If those stop fitting, I'm going to have to order custom shoes like the link above. My feet are rectangles. :shake: I have to have good supportive shoes because I walk a lot. Good luck!

joonbug
09-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Sorry :(. I have a pair of AGL flats as well (bought them as they are supposedly great for problem feet amd mine are bony, buniony and flat as pancakes) and they always give me a blister when wearing longer than a few hours :(. So I can relate.. The only comfy shoes for my feet are flip flops, flat gladiator sandals and boots. Anything than provides less support, out :(

Indianamom2
09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
I have your feet in a size 8....and I just got back from 8 solid days and nights of walking through Disney. You do NOT want to see my feet right now. I have a two inch blister in the middle of the ball of my right foot that is throbbing. It's terrible. I took four pairs of shoes: granny sandals, New Balance sneakers, Teva flip flops that I wear all the time around home and Crocs wedge slip-ons. The Crocs killed me all over. The sneakers were ok for 2 days, the granny sandals lasted one day and the flip flops worked the best, but not nearly well enough. It will be at least a week before my feet have recovered. Currently, I'm limping everywhere and very seriously considering using a motorized cart to do my grocery shopping tomorrow (which I never even needed when two weeks overdue with either kid!)

I feel your pain.

123LuckyMom
09-29-2013, 10:20 PM
My feet are also terrible. All my shoes, including sneakers, have blood stains in them! I've had good luck with big bandages like these:

Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, Tough-Strips, Extra Large (1.75-Inch Wide), 10-Count Bandages (Pack of 6) http://amzn.com/B001E96LGS

The small ones never stay on, and the ban aids themselves cause blisters from rolling around! I've also used moleskin, but I stick it to my foot, not to the shoe.

I've had good luck with Franco Sarto and Nine West. Oddly, the more expensive brands fit LESS well for me! I no longer spend any kind of money on shoes, because they sometimes only get a wear or two before I won't wear them again.

Good luck!!!