PDA

View Full Version : Kid Glasses...

alexsmommy
09-26-2013, 08:31 PM
DS2... if you know how unhappy Mom was when you misplaced your back up glasses, what made you think I would not be very, very upset when you come home without your good pair on your face after school?

It's been one month. You've already broken one pair.

And now I'm suspicious that you are intentionally losing them because you finally admitted intentionally breaking one pair to get out of wearing them.

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!

Not. Happy.

citymama
09-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Boo. Just found a great deal on kid glasses at For Eyes - $29 for lenses and frame and they had them ready in maybe 3 days. Not quickly enough when you have no glasses....

NJ_Mom2011
09-27-2013, 08:01 AM
I am sorry. I can see why a 6 year old is trying not to wear glasses, but I see from your vantage point that this is frustrating and expensive.

For the replacement, since your son is not gentle, maybe go to Walmart? Walmart doesn't replace lost glasses, but I think that it has a policy of replacing for 1 year if the glasses are damaged. http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2009/03/17/walmart-makes-eye-care-more-affordable-for-millions-of-americans (The reference to the kids' replacement program is near the bottom of the press release).

alexsmommy
09-27-2013, 02:30 PM
I am sorry. I can see why a 6 year old is trying not to wear glasses, but I see from your vantage point that this is frustrating and expensive.

For the replacement, since your son is not gentle, maybe go to Walmart? Walmart doesn't replace lost glasses, but I think that it has a policy of replacing for 1 year if the glasses are damaged. http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2009/03/17/walmart-makes-eye-care-more-affordable-for-millions-of-americans (The reference to the kids' replacement program is near the bottom of the press release).

Last year his ophthalmologist told him he only had to wear them when he wanted to and told me "I don't like to put young kids in glasses unless necessary." DS2 had failed his school screen so he had them, but only used them occasionally for seeing a stage or at the movies. This summer we noticed him squinting more so we took him back. Ophthalmologist said his script had not changed, but that he now needed to wear them full time. He also gets migraines and I think the eye strain was triggering them more often.
Since he didn't need them much last year, we got a cheapy pair from Walmart. He didn't break those or do any damage. Those are now his back-up. Since he would need them full time now, we got more $ frames from Walmart, but for what they wanted for transitions, it was cheaper to take those frames to Costco (DS2 didn't love any of the Costco frames). I've already replaced the frames once (because the lenses were not from there we had to just pay, but they were still only $50 so it was fine for a one time lesson). Ugh. I've torn the house apart. I really think they are at his school somewhere. We may be back at Walmart for round three this weekend. The breaking the glasses is actually very uncharacteristic of him, that's when we realized just how much he didn't want to wear them. I don't think he'd do that again though. He was really upset when he saw how upset DH and I were. Thank goodness he has a low rx so he can function fine without them. It's just not ideal

KpbS
09-27-2013, 02:53 PM
That stinks!! There is a local optometrist place here that will replace broken glasses for free. It's part of their business model. Maybe someplace like that near you guys?

sste
09-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Miraflex. Have strap which makes them comfier and less prone to misplacing since they rarely need to be removed. Also doesn't hurt to fall on them. Unbreakable -- DS has been in these since age 2 and I don't see how you could break it. And super cute!

ETA: not the cheapest option but not super pricey. They come in bright colors so hard to lose. We have never even had to use DS's back up glasses -- these are so easy to spot around the house. He has the bright turquoise and gets tons of compliments. :)

sariana
09-27-2013, 04:00 PM
If you can wait a week, the new Costco coupon book has $30 off two pairs of glasses for the same person. Starts October 3, I think.

ilfaith
09-27-2013, 06:25 PM
The first year is the hardest. Both DS1 and DS2 started wearing glasses in first grade. In the first year they each lost and/or broke several pairs of glasses. Eventually, I ended up getting the cheapest frames from Walmart (after starting with fancy frames with glare-free, transitions lenses...all the upgrades since we have good a good optical plan). The Walmart frames did break...repeatedly, but at least they kept on repairing or replacing them. I swore life would be easier if I could just staple the glasses to their heads. But after a year, they have become more accustomed to wearing their glasses and have become much more responsible.

alexsmommy
09-28-2013, 09:46 PM
If you can wait a week, the new Costco coupon book has $30 off two pairs of glasses for the same person. Starts October 3, I think.

Thank you!! I will be taking advantage of this and getting some back ups.

The first year is the hardest. Both DS1 and DS2 started wearing glasses in first grade. In the first year they each lost and/or broke several pairs of glasses. Eventually, I ended up getting the cheapest frames from Walmart (after starting with fancy frames with glare-free, transitions lenses...all the upgrades since we have good a good optical plan). The Walmart frames did break...repeatedly, but at least they kept on repairing or replacing them. I swore life would be easier if I could just staple the glasses to their heads. But after a year, they have become more accustomed to wearing their glasses and have become much more responsible.

I'm hoping this is just a first year adjustment! We are also switching optical plans next month and I'm hoping more will be covered. He's already asking when he can switch to contacts :p I'm more frustrated than angry at this point. I know he's little and makes mistakes, but man, he only had the replacement frames for 1.5 weeks when they went missing.

Kindra178
10-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Miraflex. Have strap which makes them comfier and less prone to misplacing since they rarely need to be removed. Also doesn't hurt to fall on them. Unbreakable -- DS has been in these since age 2 and I don't see how you could break it. And super cute!

ETA: not the cheapest option but not super pricey. They come in bright colors so hard to lose. We have never even had to use DS's back up glasses -- these are so easy to spot around the house. He has the bright turquoise and gets tons of compliments. :)

Or sport glasses? They have the strap in the back as well. Walmart sells the Liberty Sport Rex Spex line, as do a couple of convenient local places. Lots of boys seem to be wearing those for all day, everyday wear.

ccather
10-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Zenni.com....I bought 3 backup pair of plastic frames for my son when he started wearing glasses. They were all less than $10 each, except for the tinted sunglasses set that were maybe $12. They had these nifty camo ones that he thinks are fun. Thankfully he loves his glasses and takes really good care of all 4 sets, but if he breaks a set it's not the end of the world. For a few bucks the spares are totally worth it!