PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Advice for a "Bad Back"

barkley1
09-30-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm starting to think I have the cliche "bad back". It hasn't dawned on me until now b/c I consider myself pretty healthy and in decent shape. Not overweight, and pretty active chasing two toddlers all day. BUT, every now and then my lower back gets in a kink. It hurts and if I don't treat it very gingerly, feels like it will just snap in shooting pains down there. Usually it goes away in a day or two, but this time it's been almost a week. Sometimes it's a specific action that i know did it in, but other times like now, I just feel it start coming on - no one thing that I "did to it" :(

Anyway, I'm guessing I have a genetically "bad back"....my grandmother, aunt and dad have all had back surgery for various issues. I do NOT want to go down that road! (I don't know how much the surgeries helped them, was years ago and we don't talk much now). So, what can be done? I know strengthening those muscles - back and core will help. I try to use good form when lifting...it gets hard carrying toddlers though. some of this does originate in my hip area for sure - I have been to PT for hip issues years ago, and I can feel the pains shooting down into the glutes on one side.

Any advice for a bad back? I hate this - I'm not an old lady, but this sure makes me feel like one!! :(

pinkmomagain
09-30-2013, 06:08 PM
I have this too and I'm sure for me it's due to a weak core. In fact, I've been wanting to go to PT for it but haven't found the time.

However, I have found that when my back is particular bad, nothing helps it more than walking. Throw the kids in the stroller and walk if you can. For me, things seem to shift back into place with regular walking. Resting is the worse thing I can do.

Sweetum
09-30-2013, 07:21 PM
don't do long hours of sitting or standing. Lying down or moving are better for your back.
Don't sit up straight to get out of bed, instead, roll to your side and swing your legs to get up.
yep, working on core is a must, but that's the big one.

Zansu
10-01-2013, 03:53 AM
Chiropractic, physical therapy, Pilates. Rinse and repeat.

AngelaS
10-01-2013, 06:29 AM
Chiropractic, ice and Advil.

wellyes
10-01-2013, 07:24 AM
My husband has back issues and swears by Pilates, lifting, and his chiropractor. Gym 5x devery week. He did a year of physical therapy (basically learning good core exercises / good form) which was covered by insurance.

mmommy
10-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Find a good nudging not cracking chiropractor and go at least once seasonally.

Philly Mom
10-01-2013, 07:51 AM
My brother swears by hot yoga as the savior of his back issues. His back was really bad. Doing hot yoga has made a world of difference for him.

Chiropractors and ice also help. Pilates may as well.

brittone2
10-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Find a good PT. The appropriate solution is going to be based on what your actual diagnosis is. Sacroiliac joint pain? Disc issues? Piriformis syndrome? etc. Getting a proper diagnosis is critical. I personally would not see anyone who does not give you a comprehensive treatment plan, which will likely include looking at your sleep position, how you lift things or pick things up off of the floor, strengthening your core and other muscles as appropriate for your diagnosis, stretching, etc. Things like sacroiliac issues can ebb and flow depending on your hormones, as during our menstrual cycles our ligaments often become more lax at certain times. As a result, there may be more instability at certain times in your cycle if you are dealing with SI issues, for example. Some people have more lax ligaments to begin with. I would not tell yourself that you have a genetically bad back and live with it. It is very likely you'll see improvement with a good therapist, depending on your diagnosis. As your core improves, you also need to learn how to properly engage it for everyday activities of daily living. It isn't enough to just do some static exercises, you have to learn how to engage your core, etc. during everyday dynamic activities. If it is something like sacroiliac joint dysfunction, there are even muscle energy techniques a PT can show you that may help you to get your SI back into alignment on your own as needed. You really need a proper diagnosis first.

hillview
10-01-2013, 09:02 AM
I have this too and I'm sure for me it's due to a weak core. In fact, I've been wanting to go to PT for it but haven't found the time.

However, I have found that when my back is particular bad, nothing helps it more than walking. Throw the kids in the stroller and walk if you can. For me, things seem to shift back into place with regular walking. Resting is the worse thing I can do.
weak core for sure for me too. I am also lifting weights -- heavy ones. There is real value to lifting I believe over time you get stronger in the back muscles.
http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/default.htm
http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/back-exercises

pastrygirl
10-01-2013, 09:54 AM
^^ this. I've been lifting heavy since February and never, ever have back pain or soreness anymore. Even when I was just starting, if I woke up with a backache on a lifting workout day, the pain would disappear after the workout (deadlifts in particular).

Right now I'm doing a core lifting program called New Rules of Lifting for Abs. It's not to get a six-pack, but to get a strong core. Before this, I did Drop Two Sizes, which seriously helped my core strength.

I do still see a chiro every 6 weeks, but lifting and getting stronger helps me hold my adjustments longer.

Smillow
10-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Swim! Swimming seems to help all my muscles support my spine. It's my home remedy for back issues!

BabyBearsMom
10-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I used to have a bad back and then about 4 months ago I started working out and strengthening my core via weight lifting. I can't believe the huge difference it makes. I used to wake up sore and in pain every day, even with a tempurpedic mattress. But now, I wake up feeling great. I also see a chiro every 6 weeks to maintain my alignment, but now that I have muscles holding my back together, I don't think that is as necessary and will probably phase that out son. If you can lift weights try yoga or pilates.

echoesofspring
10-01-2013, 01:06 PM
DH threw his back out a couple years ago, it was awful to see him lying there on the floor in pain and unable to move and be powerless to help him. After that he started doing the exercises in this book, which was recommended by a friend who swears by them. DH says they have made a world of difference:

http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-Revolutionary-Stopping-Chronic/dp/0553379887/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380646968&sr=1-1&keywords=pete+egoscue

A lot of the exercises in it will be familiar to you if you've done any yoga or pilates, I found. FWIW, I bought his book specifically for women, I didn't really like it, but I was pregnant at the time so there was a lot in it I couldn't do, I may revisit it.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-01-2013, 01:36 PM
like a PP said, i did hot yoga and it has been working tremendously for me. i too thought i would be destined for backpain..i have mild scoliosis, and my mother had it so severe she had to wear a brace for several years as a child. even as an adult she still had bad back pain...one of my earliest vivid memories as a kid is my mom agozining in pain over her lower back.

i'm sure any sort of weightlifting/core strengthening would help. though i hate going to the gym and i hate weightilfting, so i do yoga. you just need to find something that works for you.

egoldber
10-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Find a good PT. The appropriate solution is going to be based on what your actual diagnosis is.

Absolutely. And while I agree that weight lifting is generally excellent for a bad back, you need to make sure you use proper form so you don't hurt yourself.

hellokitty
10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
One other thing, what kind of shoes are you wearing? We don't wear shoes in the house, but I do have a pr of birkenstocks just for indoor use, esp when I am stuck standing in the kitchen a lot. We also got a new mattress (temperpaedic) soon after I had DS2, b/c both DH and I felt like our backs hurt each morning and that has helped quite a bit too.

brittone2
10-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Absolutely. And while I agree that weight lifting is generally excellent for a bad back, you need to make sure you use proper form so you don't hurt yourself.

And you need to know what the cause is before you engage in a ton of lifting. I think there is value in lifting, etc. but if you don't know what the cause of your back issues is, you could do serious damage with lifting or incorrectly lifting. You need to have someone rule out a disc issue, etc. before you even think about it, IMO.

barkley1
10-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. I would love to revisit the PT thing, just not sure if that's in the budget right now. I need to check into it; maybe it would also help my mild diastasis recti (sp?) after baby #2. Also, i hadn't thought of shoes....we don't wear shoes in the house, but I have noticed if I "cheat" and wear something, my body/back isn't as tired.

hillview
10-02-2013, 08:39 PM
wearing good supporting slippers has been a huge help in the house