PDA

View Full Version : When do you call the OB's emergency line?

Philly Mom
09-30-2013, 04:50 PM
I am 34 weeks. Last night I had a horrible pain in my lower left region of my belly that lasted for a bit. I drank water, waited for a bunch of kicks and then tried to go back to sleep, which ultimately I did. Because of the placenta position I don't feel as much movement as most do but I have started to feel more. So today I have just not felt as much as normal. Some but not a ton. I had a chocolate cookie, got one reaction. Drink all day. Now I am laying on my floor of my office and had a couple little flutters but not much force behind any of it. I went to call my OB's office and missed them by 15 minutes. Their answering service was not helpful in telling me if I should wait until morning or page an OB now. I have bags of chocolate at home so can try again when I get there. I need to pick up DD no matter what and won't get home for an hour. Would you page a doctor now, wait until I get home, have more sugar and see or just wait until morning? I also am having lots of back pain too if it matters.

kaharris83
09-30-2013, 05:01 PM
I would page now, not because I think something is wrong, but because you'll be worried until you talk to/see someone and that's not helping you or the baby. Hope you start feeling better soon.

mmommy
09-30-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm by no means an expert, but I didn't want to leave you waiting mama! I always felt less movement when I was worried. But I'd probably call when I was 20 min or so from the chocolate so that I could have them talking to me right after eating it or expect a call back right in that same time. The back pain is probably related, so make sure to mention it. I think it's worth calling so that you don't have to keep worrying. Hugs mama!

AngB
09-30-2013, 05:18 PM
When in doubt, call. They will most likely send you in to L&D to get checked out but L&D won't call them in unless it's something serious, at least in my experience.

I am in the 'better to be safe than sorry' camp and IME any "horrible" or severe pain warrants being checked out, I've had 1 awful pregnancy and 2 normal but high risk pregnancies. The pain that I experienced in my first pregnancy (which ended up not being normal in my case but it's not like you have described so I don't want to stress you out unduly), I endured it for weeks thinking it was normal and it wasn't. Nothing I experienced in my other two pregnancies compared to the pain even the slightest bit.

It might just be normal, but there are some not normal things that can cause bad pain as well. That combined with the less movement would have me calling.

petesgirl
09-30-2013, 05:50 PM
I would fall, that is what the emergency line is there for and I have used it before. But be prepared to go in and be seen. Also, I always got a good reaction from eating ice chips.. Maybe you could try that in the meantime.

flashy09
09-30-2013, 06:12 PM
I would call. You will feel worse if it was a serious problem and you waited than if you go in and feel a little silly because baby is fine.

Philly Mom
09-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone. On the drive home I felt a lot more movement. Not sure if she was just compressed more or just leaving my office caused her to kick a bit more. I am going to reset and keep a very close eye on it. I have an ob appointment in a couple days but will call if there is any slow down at all. Two mds in the practice gave me the option if I wanted a weekly nst. I think i will call in the morning no matter what to get the referral. I thought I was overreacting so didn't call earlier though I probably should have. It doesn't help that DH is traveling so it would be very difficult to get to the hospital outside of business hours when DD is in daycare. Doable but difficult.

Tondi G
09-30-2013, 07:05 PM
You can always try drinking something with a little caffeine too ... maybe half a can of coca cola or a cup of coffee. That will often get the little ones moving. Glad you are feeling more movements and that the pain has subsided. Hope it is all nothing to worry about. When in doubt you should always call ... that's what they're there for!

ArizonaGirl
09-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Always call if you are worried.

I had two very troublesome PG, and called the oncall Dr and went to OB-Triage a lot with both PG.

I always agonized about calling, going thinking that I was overreacting.

I always tried to rationalize calling or going in, that I was better off potentially making a fool of myself (never did) than not going in and experiencing a negative outcome.

I NEVER regretted giving them a call.

I see that you have felt more mvmt, just info for another time.

HTH :hug:

TxCat
10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
My rule is if you're wondering if you should call, go ahead and call.

Philly Mom
10-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks everyone! I should have called. By the time I got home last night, the movement was back on track so I decided to just be obsessive about monitoring movement. I actually think I may be fighting a minor stomach virus. Nothing major but I am having a hard time digesting most things so that may have been the pain issue. I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of days. If I have any more time periods with low movement, I am going to just call right away. Hopefully I can just save up my list of questions for the OB. As an aside, I HATE pregnancy and being pregnant (and I am someone who actually looks better pregnant than not, hides my otherwise flabby stomach).