PDA

View Full Version : What is causing all this achiness??

happymom
09-30-2013, 05:19 PM
I am about 23 weeks along and I am feeling pretty good, thank G-d, but I am just so sore and achy all the time and I have no clue what to do about it! It's mostly my legs- specifically where my thighs meet my groin area (not sure how else to describe- Basically the bikini line I guess?) but also my lower back. I feel kind of "charlie-horse", like I exercised too much or slept in a weird position all night. I've been sleeping comfortably though, and haven't been exercising at all so I know its not from either of those!

After sitting for a few minutes, I feel very stiff when I try to get up and walk. It's also hard to get in and out of bed or to bend for too long. I'm not in actual PAIN, but its uncomfortable and making it very hard to function normally throughout the day. I am a preschool teacher and am used to sitting on the floor with the kids all the time, and now I can barely sit comfortably on a preschool chair. I would think this is normal at 35+ weeks along when my belly is a lot bigger, but now? At only 23 weeks? I have a long way to go! I've mentioned it to a few people and they seem to think its just part of being pregnant, but I really wonder if this is normal or not and if there's anything I can do.

Thanks!

Katigre
09-30-2013, 05:59 PM
I can say that achiness was just par for the course with my pregnancies until I cut out inflammatory foods (grains were the biggest culprit) and then my aches vanished. Whenever i'd eat grains again or other processed foods the aches would return. I really realized how much food affects my body even in subtle ways.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

KLD313
09-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Could be SPD? I had it with DS and was in agony.

happymom
09-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Hmm so I just googled SPD and it's possible that's what it is. Thanks so much for mentioning it. I have an appointment at my OB on Wednesday so I will ask her what she thinks.

Katigre, thanks for your input as well! I definitely have lots of room for improvement in my diet.

ArizonaGirl
09-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Could be SPD? I had it with DS and was in agony.

I suffered in agony with both PG and still don't do well when sitting for long periods of time.

DH jokes that when I get up I remind him of his grandma, she is 78 :hysterical:

mcmanutm
10-01-2013, 12:14 AM
So funny you write this tonight because this is me, except I am no longer pregnant. I have a four month old. I just was talking to my brother-in-law tonight about it (he's a physical therapist). Aches are worse after sitting or laying down for longer periods of time.

happymom
10-01-2013, 04:42 PM
So if this is in fact SPD, is there anything that can be done for it? How would it be diagnosed? Sorry for all of you who are suffering too. It's miserable!

Indianamom2
10-01-2013, 05:20 PM
I had exactly what you are describing as well and though it wasn't formally diagnosed, I'm almost certain it was SPD. It went away for me almost immediately after delivery...so there's that hope to look forward to. I think it was partly because Ds was positioned sideways most of the pregnancy as well. It is miserable and I never found a solution....just stuck it out. I think you can find a maternity support belt type thing to help, but I was due in July and knew I wouldn't be able to stand the extra heat, so I never used it. Good luck!

ArizonaGirl
10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I had exactly what you are describing as well and though it wasn't formally diagnosed, I'm almost certain it was SPD. It went away for me almost immediately after delivery...so there's that hope to look forward to. I think it was partly because Ds was positioned sideways most of the pregnancy as well. It is miserable and I never found a solution....just stuck it out. I think you can find a maternity support belt type thing to help, but I was due in July and knew I wouldn't be able to stand the extra heat, so I never used it. Good luck!

:yeahthat:

I had one of those support belts, but I was due in August with DD and found with the heat the belt just was too uncomfortable and didn't help enough to be worth the misery.

happymom
10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
So how is SPD diagnosed?

marymoo86
10-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I can say that achiness was just par for the course with my pregnancies until I cut out inflammatory foods (grains were the biggest culprit) and then my aches vanished. Whenever i'd eat grains again or other processed foods the aches would return. I really realized how much food affects my body even in subtle ways.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

Exactly this. It is what made me go GF and greatly reduce other grain consumption. Gluten was the big one that affected me.

daisymommy
10-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I had this in all 4 pregnancies, but was never diagnosed with SPD. I was told it was just the relaxin hormone loosing up my joints and ligaments a tad too much so that I didn't have very support. I felt like someone was torturing me and pulling my legs off my body where they joined my groin. Worst pain ever! The only thing that gave me relief was wearing a support belt and staying off my feet.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad

KLD313
10-03-2013, 10:04 AM
I described my pain and pointed to where it hurt and told my midwife. She agreed it sounded like SPD. I also mentioned it to my MFM and he had me walk toward him. He said I didn't have it because I didn't waddle like a duck. My midwife said he's a man he doesn't know you know have it. Lol. You can wear the support belt but I didn't because of the summer heat like PP's have mentioned. When you roll over in bed keep your legs together, rolling was really painful for me.

ArizonaGirl
10-03-2013, 10:51 PM
I described my pain and pointed to where it hurt and told my midwife. She agreed it sounded like SPD. I also mentioned it to my MFM and he had me walk toward him. He said I didn't have it because I didn't waddle like a duck. My midwife said he's a man he doesn't know you know have it. Lol. You can wear the support belt but I didn't because of the summer heat like PP's have mentioned. When you roll over in bed keep your legs together, rolling was really painful for me.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

OMG yes, I would practically bring myself to tears trying to maneuver in bed, it was awful.

happymom
10-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Oh my sounds like you guys had it much worse than I do! I'm actually feeling a bit better now, so maybe it's more of baby sitting on a nerve or something? In any case I mentioned it to my OB and she totally brushed me off and said its normal, par for the course, etc.... Since there isn't even muh you can do for SPD and since I was feeling a bit better, I just let it go. Hopefully it doesn't get worse!