PDA

View Full Version : what did you eat during first trimester?

basil
10-01-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm 7 wks and lost 5 lbs already. I'm not skinny to start with (sz 12) so I think this is ok but would like to make sure I'm getting decent nutrition.

Only things that sound good to me are white bread, crackers, popcorn, sugar, and other white things. And sweet drinks like sweet tea and ginger ale. Yesterday I ate crackers for breakfast, popcorn and crackers for lunch, and some homemade soup for dinner with bread, but threw up soon afterwards. I can't take my prenatal but I'm taking a 1.5 dose of some regular gummy multivites and my DH said that was pretty equivalent. Today I ate an apple w honey for breakfast and this seems ok.

I have bagged kale, brussel sprouts, asparagaus, tomtatoes, yogurt, cheese, etc. in my fridge as they were all staples before but I'm afraid they will go bad as I really can't even bear the thought.

What worked for you?

TwoBees
10-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Pizza (for some reason, bread/sauce/cheese combo made me feel better), fruit, pb+j, bagels. Like you, I ate lots of carbs.

I think it is more important right now to keep something in your stomach, and keep drinking water and other liquids, than to worry about exactly WHAT you are eating.

Also, try taking your prenatal on a full stomach (carbs help). The gummies may not have enough folic acid.

Congrats!

lizzywednesday
10-01-2013, 09:13 AM
I ate whatever I could keep down.

Some days, that would be Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, pretzels, or almonds.

Other days, well, Cup-o-Noodles was my best friend.

All of it went down with room-temperature seltzer. I would go through 8 or so cans per day until the switch to 2nd tri.

TwinFoxes
10-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I think it is more important right now to keep something in your stomach, and keep drinking water and other liquids, than to worry about exactly WHAT you are eating.

Also, try taking your prenatal on a full stomach (carbs help). The gummies may not have enough folic acid.

Congrats!

:yeahthat: The nausea will go away eventually, probably in a few weeks. So just try to feed yourself and your new little one for now.

To answer your question, I pretty much ate everything that didn't move. I was FAMISHED. I have never been so hungry in my life. I used to keep a banana on my bedside table in case I got hungry in the middle of the night. I've never been a midnight snacker before or since. Oddly, the thought of Thai food made me want to heave, and I love Thai food. Major food aversion.

DualvansMommy
10-01-2013, 09:27 AM
You poor thing! I know how much it sucks not knowing what you can eat without throwing up.

I had terrible nausea up to 20 weeks with some weeks being ok than others. It was beginning of summer through end of August for my first trimester, and I never eat much during summer. That didn't help matters for me, so I lost 10 pounds but like you Im a size 12 too.

I disgress. Like pp said, at this point I would worry with just what you can keep down rather than focusing on what you should eat. I loved vegetable salads but broccoli, asparagus etc made me sick due to the texture. I lived on smoothies, toast with a dab of butter, fruit (lots!!) seltzer water, and crackers with cut up cheese.

Not much help there, I know! Keep experimenting...oh I loved English muffins so would make it a sturdy sandwich for me.

Hang in there!

Cate

BabbyO
10-01-2013, 10:54 AM
With Stachio I has some nausea that was mostly helped with seabands and/or ginger. That said, if I felt really queasy with him sure as the sun will come up in the morning, a McDonald's Double Cheeseburger would settle my stomach. :47: I don't even understand that...but it worked!

With Peanut it was trickier and I just went with whatever sounded good and I could keep down. Always trying a small portion first. By the second trimester, I was able to get back to my normal, healthier diet. I did add protein and that really seemed to help me a lot...snacks like raw nuts, hummus and pita, etc.

Philly Mom
10-01-2013, 11:05 AM
I ate a lot of pizza with veggies, pasta with veggies and chicken, eggs and grilled cheese. My appetite and ability to eat was way down and if I tried anything to healthy, I got sick. Smoothies worked pretty well at times too. I lost 10 lbs in the first trimester of both pregnancies (I am about the same size as you 10/12). I call pregnancy the best diet around. After my first, I was 10 lbs lighter than I was pre-pregnancy. We shall see if that works again this time around. I feel very large right now, but have only gained 15 lbs. In my third trimester, I am back to not having much of an appetite other than carbs. Lots of cheese on toast and steak.

TxCat
10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Lots of carbs. Some fruit. Fruit smoothies were pretty good. Basically whatever didn't sound totally nauseating on any given day.

I took my prenatal right before bed - only way I could keep it down.

bostonsmama
10-01-2013, 02:22 PM
This pg has been so different from my DD's. My first pg I ate so healthfully: salads, light soups, tons of veggies, avocados galore (for all that brain-building fat), fruit and lean meats/grains. I was only really sick from 9-13 weeks, throwing up less than 10 times total. Towards the end, I craved sweets, sweets, sweets!!

Ugh, this pg's theme has been fat, salt and protein. I craved eggs with mayonnaise, tortilla chips and cheese dip (the gloopy kind w/ zero nutritional value), salty tuna packed in olive oil, potato salad (in the spring/summer), fish-fish-fish with lemon, and spicy anything in the 2nd trimester. I had hella nausea. I could barely peel myself off the couch, and DH wound up cooking most nights until I hit 18 weeks (probably hence the dietary choices, as these are his favorite noshes). Anything fruity, sweet, carby or healthy (veggies/salads) felt as appealing as eating sand. I'm still struggling to want to eat healthfully in the 3rd trimester, but I second everyone's recommendation to eat whatever you can stand. Carbs are mild and bland to the tummy. Whole carbs (sweet potatoes, potatoes, corn/corn tortillas, and all fruit) have essential vitamins and minerals that refined carbs found in white sugar and wheat flour-based products don't have. Go with those when you can, and don't worry about weight loss. My SIL lost 30lbs in the first 16 weeks but gained a total of 25 lbs by the end (so 55 lbs total after loss). Almost everyone catches up!

boltfam
10-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Whatever sounded good and would stay down. I ate a lot of saltines and wheatables, grapes, and peanut butter.

gymnbomb
10-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I ate crackers, cheerios (dry, like you would give to a toddler), apple sauce, apples, then during times when I felt slightly better I could add peanut butter to the apple slices and eat some chicken noodle soup and macaroni and cheese.

joonbug
10-01-2013, 06:40 PM
It was worst for me during week 5-8, constant nausea all day, felt a bit better while I ate but then felt even worse :(. What helped me was spicy foods (I loaded everything with mustard), there were days when the only appealing thing was the buffalo chicken strips from burger king ;). Also ginger snaps helped much better than the preggo pops anyway. Hope you feel better soon!

kep
10-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Not a whole lot. I tend to be anywhere from very pukey to hyperemesis, so generally whatever I can manage to swallow and keep down. I really don't worry about nutrition at all, and just make sure to avoid the list of no's. Any calorie is a good calorie for me. :)

ArizonaGirl
10-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Not a whole lot. I tend to be anywhere from very pukey to hyperemesis, so generally whatever I can manage to swallow and keep down. I really don't worry about nutrition at all, and just make sure to avoid the list of no's. Any calorie is a good calorie for me. :)

Yeah that, I lost 15 to 20 lbs at first, so any calorie the Dr and I were thrilled with, except of course for the No-Nos

♥ms.pacman♥
10-01-2013, 11:06 PM

:yeahthat: yep, this is me too. i didn't gain a single pound until i was about 18-19 weeks along. TBH, i ate a lot of hot dogs and top ramen noodles...those are the only things i could stand to eat.

DietCokeLover
10-01-2013, 11:17 PM
I struggled with nausea, but never actually ever vomited. With DD, I constantly ate pizza. With DS, I could not eat enough white birthday cake. I think you do the best you can, but eat something.

lizzywednesday
10-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Chiming back in here and wanting to add that I found I got sicker if I hadn't eaten, so once I found something that would stay down, I ate whatever I found.

ITA about doing the best you can!!