PDA

View Full Version : GD question

AngB
10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Is it still the typical standard of care to do NST's and/or growth ultrasounds for GD? Even if it is diet controlled? (Did you have them if you had GD that was diet controlled with no other risk factors?)

(Asking for a friend. She should be having them anyway b/c she has a history of high bp and preeclampsia in her first pregnancy, and now GD in her second and her bp has been routinely high. Her doctor sucks, though, so I was just wondering if there is any chance she is automatically going to recommend them or if my friend is going to have to ask for them.)

Nemesia
10-02-2013, 04:26 PM
My GD was controlled with my diet and I had weekly NSTs starting at 32 weeks. I had an ultrasound at 37 weeks to check baby's size. My only risk factor was AMA (I'm 39). I would think NSTs will be routine given your friend's history.

BabyBearsMom
10-02-2013, 04:46 PM
My sister had FD and she had to do regular NST's and ultrasounds. Hers was well controlled by diet and she didn't have any other risk factors. I don't remember how often they were but she will probably chime in.

KLD313
10-02-2013, 05:59 PM
I had to do them and then had to switch to twice a week. I was also AMA and fighting to not have a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks like they wanted so twice a week was a compromise on my part. That being said she doesn't have to do anything.

schrocat
10-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Yes. NSTs are a given even for diet controlled GD. I've had diet controlled GD for all 4 pregnancies. NSTs for all of them. Once a week. I might have to do twice weekly NSTs if my blood pressure gets worse or if I have to go on medication to control my blood sugar.

nrp
10-02-2013, 07:10 PM
My OB is very conservative, but I had maybe one NST with my GD pregnancy in 2008. I was easily diet controlled. He does do a fair number of ultrasounds, and I perhaps had more with that pregnancy, but I also had a previa, so I can't say if I would have had as many if it was just the GD.

annex
10-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I had no NSTs with my diet-controlled GD pregnancy in 2007. I didn't have any other risk factors, my OB (major university hospital practice) wasn't concerned. Had only the 20 week u/s. I delivered a healthy kiddo at 39 weeks without any indication from my OB that there was a NST or induction planned if I hadn't gone into labor by my due date.

mommylamb
10-02-2013, 08:39 PM
My sister had FD and she had to do regular NST's and ultrasounds. Hers was well controlled by diet and she didn't have any other risk factors. I don't remember how often they were but she will probably chime in.

Chiming in.

I had them weekly from about 32 weeks on (I think that was when they started. And my GD was actually not entirely controlled with diet. I also had to take oral meds at night to control my fasting numbers.

I was also AMA on top of the GD. not sure if that matters.