PDA

View Full Version : Front load washing machine with mold/mildew

boltfam
10-03-2013, 03:06 PM
My front load washer has black spots on the rubber gasket in the door despite me leaving the door open after every wash and cleaning it regularly (though not as often as I should have). I have tried to get it off with straight bleach, and it didn't budge, so I would assume that it is not dangerous then? I never notice anything on our clothes, and I don't see it until I pull on the gasket so that I can see the inside better. Would you worry about this? Any ideas of how to get it clean? I don't like using bleach but desperate times call for desperate measures.

twowhat?
10-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Ours has that too (we leave the door open at all times that the machine isn't in use. I use Tilex on it only VERY occasionally (I'm sure anything with bleach in it will eventually break down the rubber in the gasket.) I do it just often enough so that nothing is rubbing off on clothes (I test with a white towel) and call it good. The black spots are mold stains, and they're in the rubber and won't come out.

So if it's not rubbing off on your clothes, I wouldn't worry. Using too much bleach would probably hurt more than it would help.

sariana
10-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I have decided that Q-Tips are my best friends. Run one around the gasket every so often. I wouldn't worry about the spots that already are there.

boltfam
10-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks, ladies. I won't worry about it then. I'm just glad nobody looks at the inside of my washer b/c it looks so gross.

Blakes Mommy
10-05-2013, 09:00 PM
I have this too and it bugs me!! I have the Samsung brand, and I don't think it matters. When I researched and bought mine 5 years ago I was thrilled that they are supposed to be better for your clothes. Except no one tells you how disgusting these machines get! YUK! I actually had originally purchases a top load that was supposed to be like a front loader (maybe Calypso?), but had to send them back upon delivery since once they were in place we couldn't shut the doors to our laundry area! I bet since it was loaded on the top with out that big rubber gasket it would be much cleaner! Has anyone ever replaced the gasket? I wonder if/when that needs to be done? I should have just kept the other set since the other thing no one tells you is that you need to keep the washer door open. This would be fine with a big laundry room but ours is the closet type with bifold doors. so I never close the doors to the laundry area anyway!!

boltfam
10-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I have this too and it bugs me!! I have the Samsung brand, and I don't think it matters. When I researched and bought mine 5 years ago I was thrilled that they are supposed to be better for your clothes. Except no one tells you how disgusting these machines get! YUK! I actually had originally purchases a top load that was supposed to be like a front loader (maybe Calypso?), but had to send them back upon delivery since once they were in place we couldn't shut the doors to our laundry area! I bet since it was loaded on the top with out that big rubber gasket it would be much cleaner! Has anyone ever replaced the gasket? I wonder if/when that needs to be done? I should have just kept the other set since the other thing no one tells you is that you need to keep the washer door open. This would be fine with a big laundry room but ours is the closet type with bifold doors. so I never close the doors to the laundry area anyway!!

Yeah, when I replace our set, I will definitely get a HE top loader. I don't like leaving my washer open with young kids in the house, and to top it all off, my washer puts holes in my clothes unless they are in garment bags.

Iirc, a new gasket is quite expensive. I called and asked when I first spotted the mold/mildew a couple of years ago.