PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Rick vs Rick Jr? Both?

wellyes
10-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Does anyone get BOTH Ranger Rick and Rick Jr? I think my kids would like both.... do they cover the same topics just at different levels each month, or are they independent publications? Would they show up on the same day? Magazine day is a BIG deal around here, kids love it.

ETA apparently Rick Jr was "The Big Backyard" until this year, if that makes a difference.

Momit
10-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Somehow we have been getting both for the last few months. My DS is the same age as your older DC and he likes them both. Ranger Rick has much more text but still lots of beautiful photos. The subject matter is somewhat more mature - for example they talk about animals mating or sharks eating prey. Jr. is slightly more cutesy I guess.

ETA ours usually arrive a few days apart and topics are not overly repetitive

jenstring95
10-03-2013, 09:25 PM
We get both - one for a 5yo and one for a 7yo. They don't seem repetitive, although we have been horrible about reading them lately. My 7yo reads his, but I think 5yo just looks at the pictures in hers. Ours always come on the same day. We buy the subscriptions when they are $10 each.

egoldber
10-03-2013, 09:33 PM
We get both. My older DD is too old for it, but a relative keeps buying it, so it keeps coming... Both my kids have loved them both though (when they were ageappropriate). Ours always come on the same day.

StantonHyde
10-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Honestly, I would just get Ranger Rick. The only benefit to getting both is that each child had their "own" magazine. But younger DD was always tacking the RR mags to read!