PDA

View Full Version : Crappy day at work:(

twowhat?
10-03-2013, 09:14 PM
I spent most of the afternoon crying:cry: I made a (simple and honest) mistake that pissed off a client. It matters because the way we retain and get more business from these clients is to do a good job so now our entire team is under scrutiny, thanks to me. My job is WAY too brain-intensive...I would adore a boring, easy job!!! I cried enough that a co-worker though I was sick when I got on a later phone call because my nose was all stuffed up. I hate days where I feel that I'm not cut out for this very demanding job.

sariana
10-03-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm so sorry. My DH has a job kind of like that. Don't beat yourself up. :hug

(I know this is the BP, so feel free to ignore the rest, but I just wanted to share: I always say I don't mind if a company makes a mistake; it's what they do next that matters. A simple, "I made a mistake and I'm sorry. Here is my plan to fix it...." can do wonders.)

twowhat?
10-03-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm so sorry. My DH has a job kind of like that. Don't beat yourself up. :hug

(I know this is the BP, so feel free to ignore the rest, but I just wanted to share: I always say I don't mind if a company makes a mistake; it's what they do next that matters. A simple, "I made a mistake and I'm sorry. Here is my plan to fix it...." can do wonders.)

Thanks, that does make me feel better. I did email right back (client sent a nasty email) apologizing for the mistake/oversight and what we would do to ensure it was fixed. I just hate that I made the mistake. I know no one can be 100% perfect and I am very stretched thin at work but ugh...it hurts to be basically yelled at for it...

StantonHyde
10-03-2013, 10:17 PM
The key word here is "service recovery". Seriously, research shows that people remember how you remedied a mistake more than they do flawless service. Think of this as an opportunity to show how awesome you are (ok, you can barf at that :tongue5:)!!

♥ms.pacman♥
10-03-2013, 11:45 PM
The key word here is "service recovery". Seriously, research shows that people remember how you remedied a mistake more than they do flawless service. Think of this as an opportunity to show how awesome you are (ok, you can barf at that :tongue5:)!!
:yeahthat: SO true, i agree with this and what PP said. I dont work with customers at all, but i am often on the other side, being the customer who wants to order some equipment for our lab, or order something custom-made. there have been several times when i was disappointed with something, or they dropped the ball and when i point it out they totally apologize, bend over backwards, and that is what i remember..and i tend to choose them over other vendors. and TOTALLY easier said than done, but try not to remember it's nothing personal, even though they can be sort of nasty when pointing out the mistake. i think many times people are just trained to act like that in these situations, because if you don't then you get easily walked over.

my DH's job is often like that. it is very male dominated field (as is mine) and people get reamed out left and right over little things (not always justified, even). you're not the only one who makes mistakes, and you can't always be perfect :hug:

elektra
10-04-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm so sorry! I agree that I bet you can make up for it, especially if it was an honest mistake.

twowhat?
10-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks, all. I feel a little better today. What sucks is that in my field, mistakes like this are viewed as a pock mark on skills/ability. It's as if you ordered a cake from a baker (because bakers are experts in making cake), and the cake you got back was missing the filling for an entire layer. As a customer, you think WTF? Sure, the baker could be great about fixing the problem, but you're always going to think "That's the baker that was so absent-minded that he MISSED an entire layer!" And so then when you need a cake STAT, like it's SUPER IMPORTANT, practically an EMERGENCY, you might hesitate to go back to that baker because time would be wasted if a mistake was made that needs correcting.

The joys of working in highly specialized fields in a client-facing role...

mommylamb
10-04-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm so sorry. I hate that feeling. And I know, because I've had that feeling. I think it happens to all of us some of the time.

arivecchi
10-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm sorry. Hope the client calms down.

wendibird22
10-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm so sorry. I hate that feeling too. Don't you just wish life had a do over button?
I hope today's a better day for you.

alootikki
10-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry! That really stinks. But try not to beat yourself up over it!