PDA

View Full Version : FunPod vs. Learning Tower

specialp
10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Does anyone have the FunPod? Like it or hate it? I can see the drawbacks over the learning tower, but do not know anyone who has one. And if you have either FP or LT, what age did your little one start using it?

mom2binsd
10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Do a search here on "what was a big waste", I remember a lot of people saying buying a learning tower or something similar was a waste of money, honestly I don't get them, and man both of those products are not cheap.

brittone2
10-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Does anyone have the FunPod? Like it or hate it? I can see the drawbacks over the learning tower, but do not know anyone who has one. And if you have either FP or LT, what age did your little one start using it?

We've had our LT for 8.5 years or so now, and it still looks good. We have it in natural, which probably hides scratches, etc. a little better. For us it has been tremendously helpful, and my younger two still use it (middle child is very petite). We had a small kitchen in one of our homes, but had 2 walk in pantries in that house, so storing it was never a major issue. They are bulky, so think about where you'd store it and whether that's worth it.

My kids were using it as toddlers before turning 2. I remember having to watch carefully though so that they didn't plop down backwards to sit and then fall out the back or side. Sometimes I took a ring sling and sort of made a barrier around the outside with it (obviously be cautious and supervise no matter what).

For us, it has been a very worthwhile purchase and I think we'll probably sell it on CL and still get $50-85 or so, possibly more. I know some people feel it works just fine to have them stand on a chair, but we've found the LT to work better for us. Totally a YMMV and you should read the old threads. Some love it, some hate it ;)

emily
10-04-2013, 09:56 AM
LOL, I was in the "what a waste" camp until recently. We've had our LT for about two years and until we moved into our new house with a bigger kitchen and an island our LT was a coat rack. Now that we have the space and I'm home more, we use our every day. DD is 5 and she helps me prepare meals, bake etc. DS is almost 4. They're too big to be in there together comfortably tho. I would say they can climb in and out by age 2. Don't get the easel. THat w as truly a waste!

specialp
10-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Thank you. Yes, I have read all the threads in the past when the topic has come up – or at least the ones since I have been here the last few years – and never had a desire before, but I do see it being beneficial with my youngest child and would work well in my current kitchen at my island. It’s premature, but I have seen both types available at the twice a year consignment sales and was going to keep an eye out later this month or at the spring sale. Thanks again.

kaharris83
10-04-2013, 02:46 PM
We have the Fun Pod. I got it for $27 from Amazon. So far in our case it has been a waste. We have lots of room and a place to store it but in our kitchen we are lacking counter space so there isn't really a place for DS1 to "help". I think the Learning Tower kids can get in and out on their own, the Fun Pod you have to put the kids in and take them out. The few times I've used it DS1 usually wants out right when my hands are messy and I can't get him out.

klarranaga
02-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Hello everyone, we have a FunPod at home for our 21 month, very active son, and I must say it has ben VERY helpful for us, no more tantrums wanting to help in the kitchen, no more trying to prepare dinner and carry a very heavy toddler at the same time :)

That said, like you, I did an extended amount of research before I got it, I was torn between the Learning Tower and the FunPod, and after a visit to a friends house and using her LT it was an easy decision, we got our FunPod from www.lucaandcompany.com and been using it for 3 months now.

Here are the two reasons we did NOT get the LearningTower for our soon, and I may say they are very crucial ones, since it involves space and safety.

1.-Learning tower was too big and cumbersome for our kitchen.
2.-The open sides of the Learning Tower are NOT safe for my son since he can easily fall out, an so he did, he was sitting in it playing, and within seconds he fell out from one of the sides and hitting his head before I could even get to him, and I was just few feet away from him, for us this defies the purpose of the tower!!!

On the other side the FunPod is super sturdy and easy to put together (15 min max) great design, does not take much space and can fit under our kitchen island easily , and of course I LOVE that all 4 sides are enclosed since it was one of my biggest concerns, the safety issue!!!!