PDA

View Full Version : Serenity now.

boolady
10-04-2013, 01:37 PM
I know that I'm always complaining about my FIL. I know. And this probably isn't the biggest thing in the world to be getting so worked up about, but I am keyed up. I just need to get it out somewhere.

DH tells me on Wednesday night, his birthday, that he wants to invite FIL over for dinner this weekend because he was talking to FIL, and FIL "wants to come over to celebrate his birthday with him and wants to see DD." Ok, fine. I get the wanting to see DD, that's very nice. The "wanting to come over to celebrate with DH" is interesting, since it doesn't involve inviting us to his house, it apparently only involves inviting himself to our house. Ok, I can deal. I guess he's "celebrating" with DH even though he didn't get DH a card and doesn't get him a gift, even though we are expected to do both for FIL. I am convinced that this is because FIL's birthday is in a week and he's really hoping that we're "celebrating" him as well. So I really don't mind him coming over for dinner, even though I don't think his motives are pure.

Last night I ask DH if he extended the invite. He says yes, for dinner on Saturday, then tells me that FIL said he'll arrive at our place "between 1:30 and 3:00." Here's where I start steaming. First of all, DH, I told you that DD has a soccer game at noon, so at 1:30, should FIL actually show up in his estimated time frame (more on that in a sec), we'll be walking back in the door, having not even had lunch yet. Second of all, pardon me, but WTF am I supposed to do to entertain FIL from 1:30 until dinner and beyond? He comes over, expects nothing but completely undivided attention from DD, as if she's still a baby who can sit on his lap, and gets pissy if she wants to go play. Buddy, she's almost 7. It's a good thing that she likes to play and doesn't want to sit and watch car racing with you. He can't accept this though, and will tell her that she's not being nice and not spending time with him. If we were talking about a 1/2 or 45 minutes of uninterrupted time, I'd agree with him. Five, six, hours and beyond? Not so much.

So I ask DH how it came to be that FIL is coming for dinner at 1:30, and doesn't that create a logistical problem since I don't even know what I'm going to make for dinner yet, and probably would have used the time from post-game lunch until what I thought was normal arrival time for dinner to go shopping and get dinner started. He says that that's when FIL said he was coming. DH's inability to deal directly with his father is unbelievable. Why can he just not say, "How about heading over around 3 or 3:30?" No. FIL gets to invite himself over AND set the timetable for everyone's day.

Finally, and I know this is probably long and boring, but time frames and FIL mean nothing. So, since he set 1:30 as the early limit, someone will have to stay home that entire time when in reality he could appear anywhere between 1:30 and 4:00. As a family with two WOH parents, this is the killer. We really only have our weekends together, and now it will be spent playing the "where is FIL" guessing game. I'm not sure why FIL can't nail down his arrival time to, say, an hour window, since most repair techs can. As usual, we're all subject to whatever he feels like doing when he gets up tomorrow. It's going to be a beautiful day, and we'll all spend it at home, waiting on FIL.

And am I totally nuts? (That's somewhat rhetorical...) I said to DH, "Well, that means that I'd better make sure I have some snacks for FIL around, don't you think?" and he said no. Really? Can you imagine being a guest at someone else's house for potentially five hours before the meal and not being offered something? I guess I'm being too rigid. I just really didn't anticipate essentially serving him two meals and having the entire day taken up by his coming for dinner at his own invitation. I'm tired of it, and I'm tired of it causing tension between DH and me, which it always does. I'm sure I need to let it go, but he's a very difficult and high-maintenance guest, and he makes me tense. Rant over.

ETA: I know this post has way too many quotation marks.

mommylamb
10-04-2013, 01:44 PM
That would totally piss me off. Especially because you know your FIL is not an easy guest. I mean, my parents sometimes come over way early when we invite them for dinner, but 1., they have a key to our house, so it's ok if we're not there, 2., they'll sit around and watch TV and not be bothersome, and 3., They actually play with the kids doing "kid" things.

Given all you've said about your FIL in the past, I know he's not like that. I wonder why he wants to come that early.

boolady
10-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Mommylamb, this is where I feel a bit hypocritical, because I don't think I'd mind if my dad came over for hours on end, but like your parents, he's a totally different kind of guest. FIL literally expects to be waited on-- won't pour himself a glass of water, doesn't help carry a dish to the kitchen, and expects to sit there and be doted on. And DH does that, because that's all his family has ever done, which just ticks me off more. It's exhausting, mentally and physically.

I agree with you. I have no idea why he would say that early or want to come that early, which is why I think he won't show up until much, much later than that, but I would never risk not being there, because we'd hear about that, too.

Sweetsunshine
10-04-2013, 01:55 PM
I totally relate and empathesize with you. Why is it so difficult for DHs to wrap their brains around this kind of thing? You are not crazy and totally justified to feel this way. I'm sorry your weekend plans will be like this.

For FIL's birthday send DH and DD over his house for an early dinner and take a little break for yourself. You deserve it!

MamaMolly
10-04-2013, 02:05 PM
I think you might want to have DD plan a tea party with Grandpa. I'd let my DD entertain FIL by kind of forcing him to play with her. He can set the tea party table, he can color decorations, he can cut out paper flowers, he can help her make a card for him, he can be bored numb at all the goofy things you come up with for him to do. Ooooh and if you can get him to bake cupcakes or decorate cookies with her then slap a candle in two of them then you can celebrate Daddy AND Grandpa's birthday (yay! A two-fer!). And thus free up next weekend. ;)

Mopey
10-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Even the birthday timing (let alone the behaviors - though to be honest my DH is totally fab at dealing with his selfish crazy parents) is so the same here it's freaking me out.

Now I will say I can be a hardass, and given all that you've wrote I pretty much think you should just go about your day. Maybe let your FIL know that the later side is better because of soccer but if it doesn't sink in and he has to wait on the porch, so be it. Kind of sounds like what he deserves. But maybe I'm extra bitch-y today :(

I'm sorry you have to deal with all this frustration though OP. I can totally, totally empathize - my FIL's most recent selfish behavior involves planning a family weekend away for his birthday celebration and not asking anyone when they could go. And we're the only ones who can't. (Two wedding cakes to make. One to attend as well. A bridal luncheon. My nephew's baptism and my dad here from europe. All in the same weekend. But of course you can't possibly close your own private practice some other Monday.....okay, shutting it now, sorry to hijack)...

Anyway, big hugs OP :hug:

sste
10-04-2013, 02:21 PM
I have had to develop some serious boundaries over the years with my ILs -- who view visiting us as one form of their recreation and originally expected that to occur on their retiree schedules. First, if FIL cannot give you a time then I would have your DH tell him that you will stay local, here is your cell phone number, he may have to sit on the steps for 15 minutes if you are out. My DH is a conflict avoider so I would end up saying that to them but you know, that is OK. :)

Second, if in fact FIL is going to settle in for the duration, DH has to be the primary point person in charge of entertaining him. You are cooking I assume from your marvelous posts in what's cooking. Your DD is playing as she should be! I suspect your DH may develop more assertiveness if he is stuck entertaining FIL for five hours.

Really though it seems to me that the easiest thing is to call back and say we have a sports event, our original plan is not going to work, we are inviting you for dinner at 5pm, please don't worry about bringing anything.

FWIW, I have had a modestly successful plan of IL behavior modification and it has improved all of our relations for the better. You are busy family with two working out of the home parents, you simply cannot cater to retirees' schedules.

elektra
10-04-2013, 03:20 PM
That would drive me crazy too. My FIL also drives me insane and I am getting worked up for you, thinking about anger my own FIL has caused me! There are so many other ways to make this work.
Why does he not just come to the soccer game then get lunch with you guys after? Or having him come closer to dinner? But that would take your DH actually suggesting these things and having FIL say, "sure, that sounds great." which knowing my own FIL is easier said than done.

alexsmommy
10-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Your FIL would hate me as a DIL because I would tell my kid it was fine to go out and play after a polite hour of doing something utterly boring to accommodate her grandfather. I'd also be of the "sure, feel free to come over at 1:30, but you may be on your own a bit while I figure out dinner." I've pissed off a few of DH's relatives, but they know what to expect.
You are also making me love my FIL even more, who is the most easygoing person ever and would never think of expecting anyone to wait on him. To the contrary, I have to tell him he doesn't need to help clean up after dinner.
Hugs. I'd be seething just as you are.

boolady
10-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Your FIL would hate me as a DIL because I would tell my kid it was fine to go out and play after a polite hour of doing something utterly boring to accommodate her grandfather. I'd also be of the "sure, feel free to come over at 1:30, but you may be on your own a bit while I figure out dinner."

Oh, I am quite sure that if FIL doesn't actually hate me, he dreads seeing me at the very least. And I will tell DD she can go play, I just seethe that he actually says something to her about it, or tries to guilt her into sitting there with him. It works on DH, and BIL, so I guess he thinks it will work on her?

I am the very antithesis of what FIL thinks a woman should be/would ever want in a DIL, and I'm fine with that. I wish that DH didn't feel so guilted/beholden to accomodate his dad, but there are years and years of issues there and counseling has only done so much. I shouldn't be quite so negative about DH...he's come a long way, but I think that part of DH's need to keep FIL happy is because my MIL has been gone for 10 years now, and FIL is his only parent left.

Thanks to everyone for their words and commisseration. I do not really do anything to accomodate FIL. DH does, and almost turns into a different person around him. Not a bad person, but I often wonder why he's not near as pliable for me. ;) Actually, I don't, and given the reasons why he becomes this shrinking violet around his dad, I don't want him to feel that way about me. If I told DH that I needed a 1.5 hour window that he needed to accomodate in terms of arriving home or meeting him somewhere in the absence of a reason for that, he would tell me I'm nuts.

I may have to just go shopping around 1:30, because I'm not leaving the house at 8 a.m. to shop and come home and put away groceries and clean up all before getting DD ready for soccer and going to her game just to accomodate him. He'll probably be just as happy if I'm not there, actually.

crl
10-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Going shopping at 1:30 sounds like an excellent plan. And if your dd needs to come along to pick out the birthday cake or some thing, even better.

Sorry FIL is such a difficult guest and dh has such a hard time setting boundaries that work for you with him!

Catherine

elliput
10-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Going shopping at 1:30 sounds like an excellent plan. And if your dd needs to come along to pick out the birthday cake or some thing, even better.
:yeahthat: And pick up some Chinese take-out for dinner.