PDA

View Full Version : Rancid body oil smell in clothes/sheets

twowhat?
10-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I have noticed that our older clothes/sheets come out of the wash smelling great and fresh but after only a few days in the linen closet, they develop a pretty strong smell that I can best describe as "rancid oil". It's nothing like BO. It's just a not-fresh smell. I am sure it's probably accumulated body oils (and so that's why only limited to older items). Is there a way to strip the oils out? I'm also guessing that Asian skin (lots of oil production in face and scalp) contributes to this...it reminds me of the way my relatives' closets/drawers smell (because they do not wash clothes as frequently). Anyone else have this issue? It's grossing me out. And, super TMI...but I get the same accumulations in my bras, right around the nipples (GROSS). It's that waxy oil that is produced there. YUCK!!

Looking for ideas other than Dawn. Dawn if very hard to use as a stripping agent in front-load machines! Oxyclean works only marginally well (hot water overnight soak). I'm thinking something like household ammonia, borax...? Any BTDT that would work in a front-load machine? Laundry should come out smelling fresh and staying fresh!

Kymberley
10-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Vinegar! I swear by it. I use it in the fabric softener dispenser of our front loader. You can do an extra rinse if you'd like, but I often don't. The vinegar smell disappears as the clothes dry..

mikala
10-05-2013, 01:47 PM
What kind of detergent are you using? Is your water hard or soft?

You might consider a few washes with a cloth diaper detergent like rockin green. It gets out some pretty tough stuff on cloth diapers. I used it a few times on regular clothes and it seemed to work well. There are different varieties based on your water type.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005DL7LGM

legaleagle
10-06-2013, 09:04 AM
RLR is the best stripping agent for frontloaders. Also, I'd use powder Tide HE, at least for these stripping cycles, and make to use the absolute longest cycles you can - choose heavy solid, prewash, extra rinse etc, hot water and not fill it more than 3/4 full with the sheets.

elektra
10-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I found that using powder detergent helps too. I will try to find the post where I got laundry suggestions too. I had a different issue ( more of a mildewy smell) but the powder detergent helped.

ETA- bleach is what finally did the trick for me! And I had ammonia on deck.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?374078-Willing-to-go-rogue-need-to-make-my-towels-smell-nice/page2&highlight=Towels

gymnbomb
10-06-2013, 03:08 PM
How do you do the vinegar thing? What kind of vinegar and how much? Use it with soap or alone? My old sheets have the exact same problem!

Kymberley
10-06-2013, 03:20 PM
I just use distilled white vinegar in place of fabric softener. I also use it whenever I bleach anything to get the bleach smell out. I use 1/2 cup for a full load, I think.

twowhat?
10-06-2013, 04:06 PM
RLR is the best stripping agent for frontloaders. Also, I'd use powder Tide HE, at least for these stripping cycles, and make to use the absolute longest cycles you can - choose heavy solid, prewash, extra rinse etc, hot water and not fill it more than 3/4 full with the sheets.

Huh, this is interesting - never heard of it but the reviews are amazing. Have you used it in a frontloader? I'm a little worried about some of the reviews saying it takes like 10 rinses to get all the suds out...that could mean it would take hours for a single load.

We are regular Country Save users.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Huh, this is interesting - never heard of it but the reviews are amazing. Have you used it in a frontloader? I'm a little worried about some of the reviews saying it takes like 10 rinses to get all the suds out...that could mean it would take hours for a single load.

We are regular Country Save users.

i've used RLR before for stripping cloth diapers. ours isn't a front-loader, but it is a HE and in all other ways is just like a front-loader. I don't recall needing 10 rinses to get suds out. we use country save too.

twowhat?
10-06-2013, 04:19 PM
i've used RLR before for stripping cloth diapers. ours isn't a front-loader, but it is a HE and in all other ways is just like a front-loader. I don't recall needing 10 rinses to get suds out. we use country save too.

So did it work well to strip the diapers?

♥ms.pacman♥
10-06-2013, 05:02 PM
So did it work well to strip the diapers?
i think so. and from what i read if you get a ton of suds from using RLR it is because of all the build-up, not the RLR itself which does not produce suds. so the number of rinses needed would depend on how much buildup is in the clothing/diapers or whatnot.

legaleagle
10-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Yes, I've used it in my front loader on my cloth diapers repeatedly. It is the buildup that makes the suds-the first time I used it was crazy but much less on subsequent times (I only use it once or twice a year once i got my routine perfected) Also be sure to strip/clean the washer itself before you start with this, so that you're not getting washer crud off instead of the sheets.

Oh, and I do full hot washes for rinsing, works much faster than cold rinses.

twowhat?
10-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Yes, I've used it in my front loader on my cloth diapers repeatedly. It is the buildup that makes the suds-the first time I used it was crazy but much less on subsequent times (I only use it once or twice a year once i got my routine perfected) Also be sure to strip/clean the washer itself before you start with this, so that you're not getting washer crud off instead of the sheets.

Oh, and I do full hot washes for rinsing, works much faster than cold rinses.

Thanks, this makes sense. What do you use the strip/clean the washer? Or do you just run a hot cycle with RLR only (no clothes/sheets) for the "washer strip" and then run the load with the sheets + RLR?

The full hot wash cycle for rinses makes sense - I do that already when I wash sheets with Oxyclean.

legaleagle
10-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I use a mix of a big scoop each of oxyclean, borax and washing soda (which is great to have around anyway as a detergent booster) and run the self clean cycle. Basically the same ingredients and afresh or tide washing machine cleaner.

mommytotwo
10-09-2013, 11:38 PM
I use a mix of a big scoop each of oxyclean, borax and washing soda (which is great to have around anyway as a detergent booster) and run the self clean cycle. Basically the same ingredients and afresh or tide washing machine cleaner.

while using affresh helps, it was quite costly. We ended up getting rid of build up and smell by using powder detergent -- specifically Tide HE.

twowhat?
10-09-2013, 11:42 PM
while using affresh helps, it was quite costly. We ended up getting rid of build up and smell by using powder detergent -- specifically Tide HE.

So I'm thinking the Country Save use for 5 years now might be the problem. At MIL's house we laundered in Tide original (top-load machine). It got out a LOT of the build-up in my bras!!!! Crazy!!! I wonder if Tide HE is as good as Tide original because we have a frontloader. I've also heard of people using Tide original (powder) in a frontloader, just a couple of tablespoons. I might have to get a box of Tide to keep on hand and use it every so often to help with build-up. I also realized that there's a whole cloth diaper movement towards using Tide original (powder)! Interesting stuff!! I just wish the Tide original was unscented! I like the scent, but find it too strong.

legaleagle
10-11-2013, 08:19 AM

Exactly, that's why I make my own! The washing soda (aka sodium cabonate $3 at grocery store for good sized box) is great for softening hard water. It's the first ingredient in powdered detergent and a good part of the reason it works so much better. I use biokleen powder for regular clothes but tide powder HE for everything really gross like rags and diapers and super stained stuff.