PDA

View Full Version : You don't know everything

lalasmama
10-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Believe it or not, 21yo childless son-in-law, I've managed to raise a child to 10yo. I've kept your nephews alive every time they stay here. I've been a mom longer than you've been able to make kids. I've been the stepmom to your wife for many years. I've been through infancy, toddlerhood, all the way through your sister-in-law giving birth to your nephews.

Believe it or not, I even know about child-rearing. I know things that are common phases. I know how to take care of a child. I know what my grandchildren eat, drink, do. I know their faces, their cries.

In other words, I'm an adult. I am a parent. I have been a grandparent to these boys for 2.5 years.

I don't need to be told, "Don't react when he falls! It will teach him to cry!" "It's normal when a 2yo doesn't want to be changed!" "Just saying no should be enough!" When you've raised a child, or even babysat these children, feel free to give me advice.

Until then, shut your damn trap; we got this.

ArizonaGirl
10-06-2013, 10:48 PM
It sucks when people, who don't have children, just don't understand.

I'm always trying not to respond with a "Naw, Really"

lalasmama
10-07-2013, 12:46 AM
It sucks when people, who don't have children, just don't understand.

I'm always trying not to respond with a "Naw, Really"

Shortly after I posted, his wife finally stepped in and said, "you do realize there are plenty of parents here that know what they are doing, right?!" I wanted to thank her so bad!

DH has known our son-in-law for a little longer than I have. He said the guy just always needs to know everything and be the center of attention. Just a personality trait I need to get used to, apparently.

Next time, though, I'm imbibing before he gets here!

Oh, and I told DH I'm going to laugh my a$$ off when all of his knowledge doesn't make a newborn stop crying at 3am, or when his 2yo doesn't listen, etc.