PDA

View Full Version : Update in OP - Kids winter shoes that can be worn without socks - Do these exist?

mikeys_mom
10-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Update #2

After wearing the Dawson Crocs for a few months without socks, they started to stink. Big time. My kids keep their shoes in school so I don't know when it started but I noticed it during winter break when she brought them home. Then, afterwards, I was very aware on a daily basis that she had stinky feet after school.

I washed the Dawson's on hot together with a load of towels and put them in the dryer, with the hopes of killing off the stink. It's better than before but still not great. On the plus side, they were durable enough to withstand the washer and dryer with no noticeable damage. I'll keep them for her to use on weekends for now but I can see they will start to stink again if she uses them daily.

I have now replaced the Dawson's with the crocs Retro Molded Shoe
http://www.crocs.ca/crocs-kids-crocs-retro-molded-shoe-ps/14827,en_CA,pd.html?cid=4P6&cgid=outlet&intid=slider_clearance_retromolded_140106

They are very similar to a sneaker but all made out of the crocs material. The soles are not the typical crocs style like the Dawson ones are. DD says her feet are plenty warm in school even without socks or a lining in the shoe so I'm going to stop worrying about her and cold feet. The shoe has a fabric tongue and that took some getting used-to for her as she is very sensitive to anything sensory but for now she says they feel fine and comfy.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Update

The Dawson Crocs arrived today. I think we will keep them. They fit well. My only complaint about them is that there is a small area inside by the heel that isn't covered by the fur lining. Of course, that is the first thing DD noticed when she put them on. After walking around the house in them a bit, she said they were comfortable and ok to keep. Hopefully she will be ok in them throughout the winter. Those Jambus look great also. I'll have to keep my eye open for them around here and maybe find some on sale in January in case she decides there is a problem with the crocs.
Thanks again for all the recommendations!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
DD3 is 4.5yo and since last spring refuses to wear socks. Wasn't much of a problem in spring or summer but we live in a cold, snowy climate and she can't continue to wear sandals for much longer without having her toes freeze off.

I think she may have some sensory issues with socks and tries to be barefoot as much as possible so I'm trying to accommodate her within reason.

Ideally, I'd like something with a warm lining similar to the Crocs Mammoth but that stays on more securely. She is in school and because they have gym several times a week, crocs are not allowed. This would only be to wear indoors where it is properly heated so they don't have to be super-warm but something more substantial than a sandal. She will wear boots to school and switches into indoor shoes once she's there.

Does something like this exist?

abh5e8
10-07-2013, 12:36 PM
hmm...i was going to suggest the short(er) bear paw boots. my dd loved them (and also refused socks). i liked that they were natural materials and not synthetic. but it seems she already has boots and just needs shoes, for indoor use only? wouldn't sandals be ok for inside? i would guess they keep it pretty much the same temp year round inside her school?

WatchingThemGrow
10-07-2013, 12:41 PM
just wondering sock-wise...have you tried HA socks and the stride rite seamless ones? My DS is not a huge fan of socks, but likes these if they're plenty big.

pakin
10-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Crocs make several kinds of kids' shoes. How about these shoes: http://www.crocs.com/crocs-dawson/10512,default,pd.html?cid=23N&cgid=girls-footwear-sneakers ?

Also I agree with PPs to try some seamless socks. How about these socks: http://www.softclothing.net/catalog/SOFT/products/girls/26330.html ?

HTHs.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

mikeys_mom
10-07-2013, 01:12 PM
wouldn't sandals be ok for inside? i would guess they keep it pretty much the same temp year round inside her school?

Yes, the indoor temperature is probably warm but once mid-Nov hits, the outdoor temperature is going to go down to below 0C (32F) and for most of December through March it will regularly be -15C(5F) or below. For in our house, I'm fine with her being barefoot but in school, I'm worried that her toes will be cold especially since there are more hallways and exits to the outside.
Maybe I'm overthinking it and should discuss it with her teachers and see what they think...

just wondering sock-wise...have you tried HA socks and the stride rite seamless ones? My DS is not a huge fan of socks, but likes these if they're plenty big.

Haven't tried HA but I have tried other seamless socks and it was a no-go. She really just wants to be barefoot. It is a problem seeing as we live in the great white north. It's 14C (57F) and rainy here today and she wore sandals to school. I am dreading the day that it is just too cold for sandals and she throws a fit over having to wear sneakers with socks. Or even worse, the day I get a call from the teacher reminding me about weather-appropriate clothing. At least her twin is dressed in sneakers and socks so hopefully they don't think I am the one selecting the sandals.

She has agreed to wear her white Gymboree socks with the frill on them with her patent leather shoes for synagogue on days that it was too cold for sandals but I think she only puts up with that because she knows it's only once a week for a few hours and as soon as she gets home, she pulls off the socks. In fact, she has been known to take off the socks in synagogue if the services go long.

mikeys_mom
10-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Crocs make several kinds of kids' shoes. How about these shoes: http://www.crocs.com/crocs-dawson/10512,default,pd.html?cid=23N&cgid=girls-footwear-sneakers ?

Those look like they might be perfect! Thanks! Now I just need to see if I can track down a pair locally for her to try on. I had no idea Crocs made actual shoes.

Blakes Mommy
10-11-2013, 01:59 PM
When I read your post before I read all responses I thought of these! DS2 has them. We got them on clearance during the summer, he had a pair he wore last winter and we have the next size for this winter. He loved them!!! He also had regular sneakers but probably preferred these. He wore them mostly with socks when it was really cold but, you can wear without. They have a nice fuzzy velour feeling lining. Not like the puffy Sherpa on the Monmouth. They wear great and they do probably run a little larger than regular shoes. I think this would be a great solution. My only question would be if she is allowed to wear them for gym? My son is in kinder and they have to wear sneakers on their gym day. But his is only once a week. Maybe get her something like this and an inexpensive comfy sneaker she can just wear for gym. Good luck!

mikeys_mom
10-11-2013, 03:27 PM
When I read your post before I read all responses I thought of these! DS2 has them. We got them on clearance during the summer, he had a pair he wore last winter and we have the next size for this winter. He loved them!!! He also had regular sneakers but probably preferred these. He wore them mostly with socks when it was really cold but, you can wear without. They have a nice fuzzy velour feeling lining. Not like the puffy Sherpa on the Monmouth. They wear great and they do probably run a little larger than regular shoes. I think this would be a great solution. My only question would be if she is allowed to wear them for gym? My son is in kinder and they have to wear sneakers on their gym day. But his is only once a week. Maybe get her something like this and an inexpensive comfy sneaker she can just wear for gym. Good luck!7

Thanks for the information. Good to know they worked well for your DS. They don't carry them at any B&M stores in Canada, they are only available from the crocs.ca website. They were on clearance so I took a chance and ordered them hoping for the best. I can return them to any local crocs store and get a full refund but I'm out the $10 (ridiculously high) shipping fee. She is wearing a 10-11 in her regular crocs and they fit her nicely so the sales guy I spoke to at the local crocs store suggested I order the 11. I really hope they fit. I showed DD a picture of them and she is excited.

She has sneakers that fit her just fine. She just doesn't want to wear them. So far nobody has said anything to me about her shoes for gym and she's been wearing sandals since the start of school. I think they only care that the shoes stay on securely (no regular crocs or flip flops) and are not that picky about it specifically being a sneaker. If they give me problems with these new ones, I'll just send in her sneakers and she can switch into those for gym class.

Now we are just waiting for the shoes to arrive...they were shipped yesterday so hopefully not too much longer now. But, with customs you never know. It could sometimes take 2 weeks. I'll update when she gets them.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

egoldber
10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Would she wear something like this?

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/youth/shoes/howser/pool%20green

Merrell used to make a fur lined kid shoe, but they don't seem to have it any more.

westwoodmom04
10-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Merrell used to make a fur lined kid shoe, but they don't seem to have it any more.

Jambu had a cute fur lined shoes last winter. Dd wore them all the time. I bought them on amazon

mikeys_mom
10-11-2013, 04:49 PM

Those look like good potentials as well. Of course, the Cdn site only has them in black and they are $60...grrr...
If the crocs don't work out, those would be a good option to consider if I can get them from the US or find them at a local store on sale.
Thanks!

wellyes
10-11-2013, 04:53 PM
My son loves the Dawsons.
How about Uggs, too. I don't know if you're supposed to wear socks with them, but, I don't!

Kindra178
10-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Would a waterproof shoe work well enough? http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/29090Y/69507/Youth/Tailspin-Toggle-Waterproof-Kids?dimensions=0

Kamik boots?

cckwmh
10-13-2013, 06:27 PM
DD wore these all last year, with and without socks (we are in New England). She was allowed to wear them on gym days because they did have sneaker like bottoms. REI sells them in the store.

http://www.jambu.com/item/splendor/jbkf206/670

crl
10-13-2013, 06:42 PM
DD wore these all last year, with and without socks (we are in New England). She was allowed to wear them on gym days because they did have sneaker like bottoms. REI sells them in the store.

I love those and I think dd would too! Thanks!

Catherine

egoldber
10-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Those Jambus look a lot like the fur lined Merrell shoes that we had!

infomama
10-13-2013, 08:46 PM
dd wore these all last year, with and without socks (we are in new england). She was allowed to wear them on gym days because they did have sneaker like bottoms. Rei sells them in the store.

so cool!!!!!

mikeys_mom
10-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Bumping for update in OP.

skohng
10-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Bumping for update in OP.

OP, are the soles of the dawson (or any other crocs boot, for anyone else) the same as regular crocs? or are they more durable/have more traction?

mikeys_mom
10-21-2013, 01:32 PM
OP, are the soles of the dawson (or any other crocs boot, for anyone else) the same as regular crocs? or are they more durable/have more traction?

The Dawson soles are the same as regular crocs. Not a ton of traction.

DD has been resisting wearing them to school after her initial excitement when they first arrived. We are now officially into cold and rainy fall weather here so I told her no more sandals. She was very upset today. Says the Dawsons will make her feet sweaty. She wants only sandals. No closed-toe shoes. Ugh...
I put her sandals in her backpack and said she can change into them in school if the crocs are uncomfortable. I'm hoping she'll make it through the day in the crocs and be ok wearing them tomorrow with no fight.

mikeys_mom
01-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Bumping for update #2 in OP.