PDA

View Full Version : DH sent me a meal plan

npace19147
10-08-2013, 01:15 PM
OK, this might sound crazy, but DH just sent me a two week meal plan for dinner and I am SO PISSED. I can't even logically explain why I am so annoyed, I guess b/c I feel like it is a criticism of my meal planning abilities. Granted, I hate to cook, and hate having to think of what to make for dinner every flippin' night. And, granted we had a fight earlier today b/c I made prebreaded chicken patties and risotto for dinner last night and DH complained twice that they were basically big chicken nuggets. (So?) I told him when he planned the meals, he could complain. So he sent me the list. I'm sure he meant it to be helpful, but to me it feels like "here, little stay at home wife, here's a meal plan, what's so hard about that?" Grrr.

bisous
10-08-2013, 01:20 PM
OK, this might sound crazy, but DH just sent me a two week meal plan for dinner and I am SO PISSED. I can't even logically explain why I am so annoyed, I guess b/c I feel like it is a criticism of my meal planning abilities. Granted, I hate to cook, and hate having to think of what to make for dinner every flippin' night. And, granted we had a fight earlier today b/c I made prebreaded chicken patties and risotto for dinner last night and DH complained twice that they were basically big chicken nuggets. (So?) I told him when he planned the meals, he could complain. So he sent me the list. I'm sure he meant it to be helpful, but to me it feels like "here, little stay at home wife, here's a meal plan, what's so hard about that?" Grrr.

I get it! Helpful would be if actually cooked, not gave you a plan on how to cook for him. If you cook, you get to decide. Any complainers can make their own food! I was just thinking about how nice it would be to have a break (just for a few days) from feeding everyone. What an incessantly time consuming activity that is!

123LuckyMom
10-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I can COMPLETELY understand your anger! I think he who does not plan, shop, cook, or clean better keep his trap shut! Maybe he was trying to be helpful, but I would be livid, too!

hillview
10-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Oh that sounds TOTALLY sassy in my book. I'd make chicken nuggets for the rest of the week.

Giantbear
10-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Sometimes gender differences are funny to read about

While you think he was :30:

He was probably just :help: ing and following what you said.

So tonight, instead of :32: at him

Just hand him the list, tell him you approve and can;t wait to eat his meals and then enjoy one of these:54: while he cooks

Me ----> :duck:

SnuggleBuggles
10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I'd give dh a big kiss if he did that bc that's my least favorite part! Now, we have no back story to make it feel like a criticism to me so I can get your POV!

o_mom
10-08-2013, 01:56 PM
:bag Uh, can you share it? 'Cause I'm fresh out of ideas over here.

I do get why you are ticked off. If it wasn't on the heels of complaining about dinner, it would be totally different. He needs a clue-by-four to the head to smack some sensitivity into him.

npace19147
10-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Sure, here's the email he sent:

Monday
Sushi

Tuesday
Spaghetti, meatballs and corn

Weds
Grilled chicken, peas, rice

Thursday
Turkey burgers with sweet potato fries, cucumber and carrots

Friday
Pizza with side of mixed veggies

Sat
Nachos with side of mixed veggies

Sunday
Meatloaf with celery

Monday
Lasagna with faux beef and mixed veggies

Tuesday
Stir fry veggies and shrimp

Weds
Oven baked cod/salmon/swordfish, side mixed veggies

Thurs
pasta with chicken and mixed veggies

Fri
Pizza

Sat
Tuna casserole

Sun
Chile

Nothing wrong with most if it (although who he thinks is eating celery in this house is beyond me), it was mostly the act of sending it and the back story. Thanks all for helping me clarify my feelings somewhat! I haven't responded to him so I don't just get mad, waiting to process some more. GB, I'm sure he was thinking he was being helpful and I love your smilies!

petesgirl
10-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes, given your situation I would be livid too. However, my DH likes to complain about what we are eating and then when I ask what he wants to eat, just says, 'i don't know.' its totally infuriating.

ahisma
10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I think that he was trying to be helpful, in light of your comment. BUT, I'd be ticked too - even if I had made the comment myself. I think I'd feel like, by making a meal plan, he was dictating what I should cook every night. If I was already fed up with cooking, feeling like that "chore" was now dictated to me I'd be even more irked.

I'd probably just email back and thank him, but ask if there were a few meals in there that he could cook. Getting a few nights off cooking would probably make me feel much better about the whole thing.

BunnyBee
10-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Just hand him the list, tell him you approve and can;t wait to eat his meals and then enjoy one of these:54: while he cooks

Me ----> :duck:

I agree. :) I'd be super ticked if he expects you to execute the list.

Meatloaf and celery? :ROTFLMAO:

o_mom
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Sunday
Meatloaf with celery

I would so make a meatloaf with a stalk of celery in the middle. And nothing else.

Sun
Chile

LOL on this one too... an entire country for dinner!

I do think it's a total guy thing. In his mind, he sees a problem, here's the solution, so what's the problem?

brittone2
10-08-2013, 03:17 PM
I do get why you are ticked off. If it wasn't on the heels of complaining about dinner, it would be totally different.

Yep, ITA.

brittone2
10-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I would so make a meatloaf with a stalk of celery in the middle. And nothing else.

LOL on this one too... an entire country for dinner!

I do think it's a total guy thing. In his mind, he sees a problem, here's the solution, so what's the problem?

:hysterical: Yep, totally a man's thinking process! My DH is a decent cook, jumps in to help, etc. but last week he went grocery shopping for me, and I'm totally puzzled at how he thinks a few produce items and 2-3 proteins are enough to get us through the week. And even when we go together, he seems surprised when I point out we don't have sides for X, Y, Z in the shopping cart. Apparently the solution is CELERY.

boltfam
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM
I totally see your pov even though as PP's said, I think he was trying to be helpful. I like GB's suggestion of telling him you approve and look forward to eating the meals he has prepared.

eta: I see a lot of "mixed veggies in there. I would ask him if he could be more specific just because I wouldn't be able to resist finding fault with his meal plan. Don't do as I say, though. ;)

Giantbear
10-08-2013, 03:37 PM
who has corn with meatballs and spaghetti??

My wife learned a long time ago, you no cook, you no complain.

Tondi G
10-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I suppose he was trying to be helpful. I can fully understand why it made you feel bad though ... him complaining about the meal you cooked and then sending this list is like a smack in the face.

I am in a cooking rut and I always asked my DH or my kids "what do you feel like for dinner" and they always say "I don't know ... whatever you make it fine". I appreciate that no one complains about my cooking but it would be nice to get input from the other people in the house every once in a while!

Tondi G
10-08-2013, 03:40 PM

LOL I thought the same thing ... Corn with Spaghetti? when I think of pasta I think maybe broccoli or green beans .... but usually it would just be salad. My kids don't like salad so they get sliced cucumbers.

Oh and about the meatloaf with celery? Does he mean raw celery sticks or cooked celery? Our go to with meatloaf is mashed potatoes and green beans.

SnuggleBuggles
10-08-2013, 03:55 PM

That's my dh's attitude towards my cooking and I very much appreciate it. I'd go on a cooking strike if he complained.

Globetrotter
10-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Wait? He made up a list based on what he wants? That's what restaurants are for.

Hand him the list and tell him to go for it!!

KLD313
10-08-2013, 07:20 PM
My BF complains about everything I make, everything. I tell him don't eat it then ask it him what he wants and he always says idk. I text him today to say idk what to cook and he answered how should i know but I'm sure it will su@k. Gee thanks. So, if he gave suggestions I would be happy but a list like that, with the days of the week things should be made on would bug me.

The corn and spaghetti had me dying!

Mopey
10-08-2013, 07:22 PM
I have LOL'ed quite a few times in this thread! Despite the funny menu I'm still jealous I can't meal plan to save my life. And how about cooking dinner after cooking all day - or possibly just fitting dinner in between other clients! Boooooooooooo

He forgot Breakfast for Dinner. One of my lazy ass faves :D

ETA: I completely understand OP. That really might get a coffee cup to the head in my house :innocent:

specialp
10-08-2013, 07:53 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that! But then the meatloaf with celery was pretty special, too.

We meal plan down to the days like this and DH will offer to do it if I get behind (he also cooks) and I appreciate that, but I can see this rubbing me the wrong way big time after a fight about it. I would suggest using the menu for no other reason than the rest of us are dying to see how meatloaf and celery night turns outl When you come to a night you are too tired to cook, point to the menu and let him know the meat is thawed and ready.

TwinFoxes
10-08-2013, 08:13 PM
That's my dh's attitude towards my cooking and I very much appreciate it. I'd go on a cooking strike if he complained.

:yeahthat: My DH has never complained about anything I made. And I've served hot dogs! (Not regularly).

I'm still jealous I can't meal plan to save my life.

Yeah, neither can OP 's DH! Corn and spaghetti?

hillview
10-08-2013, 08:14 PM
we meal plan but some days end up being a cheese plate. DH NEVER complains. He also cannot cook.

ABO Mama
10-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Sushi? Is he expecting homemade? If so, I bow down to you skills!

I would be handing him a package of raw fish. Bon appite!

eagle
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Monday
Sushi

Tuesday
Spaghetti, meatballs and corn

Weds
Grilled chicken, peas, rice

Thursday
Turkey burgers with sweet potato fries, cucumber and carrots

Friday
Pizza with side of mixed veggies

Sat
Nachos with side of mixed veggies

Sunday
Meatloaf with celery

Monday
Lasagna with faux beef and mixed veggies

Tuesday
Stir fry veggies and shrimp

Weds
Oven baked cod/salmon/swordfish, side mixed veggies

Thurs
pasta with chicken and mixed veggies

Fri
Pizza

Sat
Tuna casserole

Sun
Chile

Nothing wrong with most if it (although who he thinks is eating celery in this house is beyond me), it was mostly the act of sending it and the back story. Thanks all for helping me clarify my feelings somewhat! I haven't responded to him so I don't just get mad, waiting to process some more. GB, I'm sure he was thinking he was being helpful and I love your smilies!

another vote for the cute post from gb. im totally stealing this meal plan, though. i have no idea what im going to do tomorrow. i guess we are having Grilled chicken, peas and rice!

JanBaby
10-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Nobody has commented on "faux beef". Faux beef? WTH is that?

ETA: I haven't eaten beef in over 15 years and I'm pretty sure I never said "ok kids! Who wants another helping of faux beef?!"

boltfam
10-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Nobody has commented on "faux beef". Faux beef? WTH is that?

:yeahthat: i wondered the same thing!

marinkitty
10-08-2013, 09:40 PM
The menu plan is hilarious. Really. I'd try to just laugh it off. Pat his head and thank him for the chuckle.

HannaAddict
10-08-2013, 09:48 PM
It sounds like he should go back to elementary school. Except for the sushi entry, it read like the school lunch menus of my youth, with mixed veggies and corn just added alongside anything. I would not be amused to get that email!

twowhat?
10-08-2013, 10:02 PM

My DH would be ALLLL over corn and spaghetti!!!! And even meatloaf and celery! (assuming he meant celery sticks). It sounds like a total guy menu.

I totally would be pissed in your shoes, OP...but I think folks are right that he was just trying to be helpful.

barkley1
10-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I have nothing to add except that this thread is cracking me UP! If anyone needs meal planning made simple and easy, I use Emeals and it is great. Not everything is always a hit, but everything IS pretty good and easy to cook. Plus, it gives us variety that I would never come up with on my own. And if it sucks, I can totally blame Emeals!

kijip
10-09-2013, 12:00 AM

Ok, first your husband shouldn't quit his day job. That's a crazy menu plan and doesn't account for leftovers etc.

Two, you should totally just do everything Giantbear suggested, though it would be really fun to hand him a picture of the nation of Chile one night and a meatloaf with celery another night.

Three, at minimum you should totally send him a shopping list for this menu plan.

KpbS
10-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Honestly I don't think the meal plan is that bad, really, celery meatloaf combo notwithstanding. :)

I think he is really trying to help OP and I know it feels insulting but I would try really, really hard not to take it that way.

Maybe as a compromise you could circle 4/5 meals that sound good/doable and start with those.

Hugs to you.

vonfirmath
10-09-2013, 12:39 AM
We LOVE corn in our house so I can easily see doing corn with spaghetti. especially Corn on the Cob

AngB
10-09-2013, 01:20 AM
I have nothing to add except that this thread is cracking me UP! If anyone needs meal planning made simple and easy, I use Emeals and it is great. Not everything is always a hit, but everything IS pretty good and easy to cook. Plus, it gives us variety that I would never come up with on my own. And if it sucks, I can totally blame Emeals!

Oh I wish I had known this! We have JUST signed up for The Fresh 20 which is similar but they have a lot of funky stuff on their weekly menus which defeats the purpose of paying for the meal planning and grocery list to be done if you have to edit the menu every week. (I mean split pea sup for dinner? People do that?) I will say that we are eating at home much more, and eating healthier, so in that sense it is worth it but we will not be renewing because they inevitably have funky stuff every week at least once. Emeals looks a lot more like our style. Sigh.

I have DH conned into doing the "planning", shopping, and cooking. I clean up. :) I think that's the deal you need to make with your DH, OP, since he was kind enough to plan for you, let him go all the way and shop and cook it too.

MontrealMum
10-09-2013, 01:53 AM
I can understand why you're upset, but I think the others may be right in that this is just his way to "fix" the problem. In a very bull-headed and none-too-sensitive manner. Mind you, I had to LOL at his menu. It's all over the place. He's expecting sushi - I'm assuming homemade? - one night, and then night after night after night of unspecified mixed veggies as the side. And I totally agree on the spaghetti and corn...whuck? I have to say, I'm not sure your DH is terribly good at meal planning either. I'm not sure how I'd present that little nugget to him, but I'm loving o-mom's idea :)

c&j04
10-09-2013, 09:56 AM
DH and I both grew up with the spaghetti and corn pairing. LOL that is is apparently shocking!

elliput
10-09-2013, 10:08 AM
I want to know why the first Friday pizza night gets a side dish, but the next week doesn't. And what is his hard-on with mixed veggies? How about some broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans, etc just by themselves?

Giantbear
10-09-2013, 10:24 AM
DH and I both grew up with the spaghetti and corn pairing. LOL that is is apparently shocking!

It's ok, it is not your fault..... the first step is admitting there is a problem. We can get you help

:p

SnuggleBuggles
10-09-2013, 10:29 AM
I remember when I was served spaghetti and corn at dh's parents' house when we were dating. I thought they were out of their minds. Eta- I was 18. I've come around since...though it still isn't on my menu. :)

KLD313
10-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Wait so corn and spaghetti is a thing? Is it regional or a culture thing?

PunkyBoo
10-09-2013, 11:00 AM
(I mean split pea sup for dinner? People do that?) .

This whole thread is awesome! Lol!! I make really good split pea soup and yes, that is dinner, with a side of homemade beer bread or pita chips. My kids LOVE my split pea soup and I look forward to making it again each year when the weather gets chilly enough.

My DH knows not to complain about meals because the alternative is no dinner. I don't love to cook and usually don't even LIKE to cook. A couple weeks ago he had to work late and I had 30 minutes from the time I got home from work to when i had to take the kids to Punkin's flag football practice. I made chicken hot dogs with onions and chopped bell peppers on them and carrot sticks on the side. The kids loved it. Later that night DH said " You made HOT DOGS for dinner? ??" I said "yes, I had 30 minutes to change clothes, make dinner, have them eat dinner, grab the gear, pack a few things for Boo to play with during the practice and get in the car. Yes, I made hot dogs. And they ate them and loved it. WHY DO YOU ASK?" He smiled and shut up. Smart guy ;).

infomama
10-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Hey corn and noodle fans check this.....http://food52.com/recipes/13643-buttered-corn-and-noodles

npace19147
10-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I have to say you all are making me feel much better about this whole thing! So far I haven't said a word to DH about the meal plan b/c I still haven't figured out how to approach it. I think he's getting nervous!

A few things - yes, we do eat corn and spaghetti and meatballs, so that one is not his fault. Corn is one of the few veggies my girls will eat without complaining and it passes my DH's muster for a veggie side so it gets paired with lots of random things.

Faux beef is the frozen ground beef replacement soy stuff, I use it for making nachos. That's just what we call it. :)

Mixed veggies I think refers to those frozen bags of corn, peas, carrots, etc., which is great in theory but neither of the girls will eat it so fairly useless.

Dinner tonight is, indeed, grilled chicken, rice and peas. And he can respond to the girls when they make faces and moan and groan, b/c I'm just going to quietly eat my peas. :)

specialp
10-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I make really good split pea soup and yes, that is dinner,

:yeahthat: We eat split pea soup for dinner all the time.

Giantbear
10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Tonight is Quesadilla night for us. I throw in some peppers and tomatoes into my wife and dd just has grilled chicken, cheese and veggies on the side. Loves chicken, loves cheese, loves pita, won't eat them together. Loves, sauce, loves noodles, loves cheese, loves making baked ziti, won't eat it.

Drives me nuts. But maybe with corn in it...........

:rotflmao:

bisous
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Funny! Split pea soup would totally be dinner at my house! What other meal would you eat it at?

TwinFoxes
10-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Funny! Split pea soup would totally be dinner at my house! What other meal would you eat it at?

I think she meant some people would consider it a side, or an app. I'd happily eat split pea soup for dinner...and I'd be eating alone because DH and DDs would NOT touch it. I said DH never complains about my cooking, if I made split pea soup he would. :( It's one of my faves though. Mmmmmm, with a nice crusty bread, mmmm.

speo
10-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I too grew up eating spaghetti and canned corn as a meal! We do not eat that now. I thought the celery and meatloaf was hilarious also.

OP, that list would bother me too. I would guess he mostly came from a good place writing it ... but still.

zukeypur
10-09-2013, 12:53 PM
GB is pretty spunky today, no?

FWIW, I love corn with spaghetti, but most definitely not IN the spaghetti. Foods must be separated, especially corn from other food unless in a soup. The same with mashed potatoes, which is why shepard's pie is DISGUSTING.

I think corn is an appropriate side dish for almost any meal. I love corn.

Giantbear
10-09-2013, 01:04 PM
GB is pretty spunky today, no?

FWIW, I love corn with spaghetti, but most definitely not IN the spaghetti. Foods must be separated, especially corn from other food unless in a soup. The same with mashed potatoes, which is why shepard's pie is DISGUSTING.

I think corn is an appropriate side dish for almost any meal. I love corn. Who me :wavey: ??? Rough couple of weeks at home and with Tuesday deadline looming, need a fun outlet, corn and pasta fits the bill.

Melaine
10-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Ok, first your husband shouldn't quit his day job. That's a crazy menu plan and doesn't account for leftovers etc.

Two, you should totally just do everything Giantbear suggested, though it would be really fun to hand him a picture of the nation of Chile one night and a meatloaf with celery another night.

Three, at minimum you should totally send him a shopping list for this menu plan.

Yep. If this was truly menu planning than I would be good at it. It's the incorporating what we have/what's on sale/what's leftoever that makes meal planning an actual art. One that I am terrible at.

boltfam
10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Yep. If this was truly menu planning than I would be good at it. It's the incorporating what we have/what's on sale/what's leftoever that makes meal planning an actual art. One that I am terrible at.

I'm with you on that! OP, good plan of action. Enjoy your peas tonight. ;)

Nu_mama
10-09-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm still waiting for OP to weigh in on the meatloaf and celery night...

wellyes
10-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm laughing because of the mixed veggies . My husband has it for lunch every day (with something else). We always have that giant bag of organic mixed veggies from Costco and he's the only one who eats it. It just makes me think of tv dinners.

BabbyO
10-09-2013, 03:14 PM
GB - loved your smilies and your spunk today!

OP - I agree with others...given the circumstances, I think I'd be ticked too...but I suspect your DH was probably trying to be helpful. DH decided he didn't like my cooking a whole lot years ago. I cook about 1x every 2-3 mo now. That said, I don't criticize his meals and I do dishes every night!

npace19147
10-09-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm still waiting for OP to weigh in on the meatloaf and celery night...

I'm totally making the meatloaf and presenting it at the table with a stalk of celery in the middle. Priceless.

I may take pity on the family and have some fries in reserve.

onerubberducky
10-09-2013, 07:26 PM
My husband would do this, I would be mad, because I find it passive aggressive.

Mopey
10-10-2013, 10:53 AM
OP, how were your peas? :D

npace19147
10-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I quite enjoyed the peas, thanks. The girls not so much. And they didn't want anything to do with the grilled chicken - they asked for reruns of the "oversized chicken nuggets" that started the whole thing Monday night. :)

crl
10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I quite enjoyed the peas, thanks. The girls not so much. And they didn't want anything to do with the grilled chicken - they asked for reruns of the "oversized chicken nuggets" that started the whole thing Monday night. :)

ROFLMAO

Catherine

Mopey
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM
ROFLMAO

Catherine

:yeahthat:

Giantbear
10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
imagine the reaction if it was corn and pasta night........ :cheerleader1:

Tondi G
10-10-2013, 02:05 PM
imagine the reaction if it was corn and pasta night........ :cheerleader1:

:D LOL Giantbear!

elizamom
10-10-2013, 09:14 PM
This thread is making me lol.

Yes, I would be annoyed if DH sent me something like this.

Please, please, please take pictures of the meatloaf with the celery stalk. That is by far my favorite on the menu. :)

Ms B
10-10-2013, 10:44 PM

This whole thread had me laughing and that last line made me snort out loud. Thanks . . . I really needed the laugh!

PS -- DH had to know what I was cracking up about . . . I told him . . . he wants to see the meatloaf and celery photo also!

PPS -- If it helps, we do a big Sunday night supper each week (lasagna, meatloaf, scalloped veal, sweet & sour meatballs, ham & beans with cornbread, roasted whole chicken, boneless leg of lamb, gumbo, minestrone soup, tamale pie, or something else) that reappears in one leftover form or another until Tuesday. We have a rotating list of faves for Wednesday and Thursday (I highly recommend Michelle Urvater's Monday to Friday Cookbook for this - she tells you how to cook once and eat 2 to 4 times and many of her recipes are quick), but often end up with sandwich night (which is why DH got a panini grill for the holidays last year) or breakfast for dinner. Friday and Saturday end up being take-out, pizza, or "happy hour" after The Biscuit goes to bed (meaning assorted cheeses, sausages or pate, pickles and olives, crusty bread, and maybe some warm item like coconut shrimp or portabella cakes from the local market or a hot dip of some type, followed by dessert).

oneplustwo
10-10-2013, 11:00 PM

:hysterical:

DH looked over, wondering why I was laughing so hard. Just remember, your DH is trying to help. Snort.

AngB
10-11-2013, 08:54 AM
PPS -- If it helps, we do a big Sunday night supper each week (lasagna, meatloaf, scalloped veal, sweet & sour meatballs, ham & beans with cornbread, roasted whole chicken, boneless leg of lamb, gumbo, minestrone soup, tamale pie, or something else) that reappears in one leftover form or another until Tuesday.

Holy cow! When I first read this I thought that whole list of suggestions was your "big Sunday dinner"! I was wondering how all those leftovers would only last you to Tuesday and looking to see how many kids you have before I figured out you meant *one* of those. That would be quite a Sunday meal!

DietCokeLover
10-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Holy cow! When I first read this I thought that whole list of suggestions was your "big Sunday dinner"! I was wondering how all those leftovers would only last you to Tuesday and looking to see how many kids you have before I figured out you meant *one* of those. That would be quite a Sunday meal!

I thought the same thing!

DietCokeLover
10-11-2013, 09:13 AM
My BF complains about everything I make, everything. I tell him don't eat it then ask it him what he wants and he always says idk. I text him today to say idk what to cook and he answered how should i know but I'm sure it will su@k. Gee thanks. So, if he gave suggestions I would be happy but a list like that, with the days of the week things should be made on would bug me.

The corn and spaghetti had me dying!

I am surprised no one commented on this. This would not fly with me AT ALL! He would be making his own meals for the rest of his days if he was connected to me in any way. That is just unbelievably rude.

Sorry to hijack OP, this just got all over me this morning for some reason.

Ms B
10-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Ha! No, just one usually does it! (Although you should see the inroads that DH, The Biscuit and I can make into a tray of eggplant parm!)

DH and I talked about this more after we went upstairs last night. He agrees that he (or she) who does not cook does not get to complain. And also that he (or she) who does not cook should do the dishes . . .

OP, I gave my FIL a crockpot cookbook two Christmases ago after he made a remark about how he was going to have more free time after he retired. Whenever he makes remarks about anything served to him, I ask him how many recipes he has made from it . . . works like a charm!!

wellyes
10-11-2013, 01:33 PM
I am surprised no one commented on this. This would not fly with me AT ALL! He would be making his own meals for the rest of his days if he was connected to me in any way. That is just unbelievably rude.

Sorry to hijack OP, this just got all over me this morning for some reason.

I'm another in this camp. I would not cook one more thing for that person. Seriously. If my FIVE year old talked to me that way I'd be furious.

boolady
10-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm another in this camp. I would not cook one more thing for that person. Seriously. If my FIVE year old talked to me that way I'd be furious.

:yeahthat:

BunnyBee
10-11-2013, 03:23 PM

Exactly. No way would I let anyone disrespect me like that, especially in front of my kids.

Globetrotter
10-11-2013, 09:37 PM
quite enjoyed the peas, thanks. The girls not so much. And they didn't want anything to do with the grilled chicken - they asked for reruns of the "oversized chicken nuggets" that started the whole thing Monday night. :)

:ROTFLMAO:Love it

crayonblue
10-12-2013, 04:25 PM

I thought the same. If my DH EVER said my cooking sucked, well, I can't even imagine what I would do because he would never say such a thing. The lack of respect is horrifying. PP, I hope you tell him that he will NOT treat you that way.

JBaxter
10-12-2013, 05:24 PM
yeah DH would never tell me it sucked. He may request we not have it again. I read the OP's post to him and asked if he would every put together a meal plan for us. He laughed and said he would be in fear for him life stomach and intestinal region if he did.

kara97210
10-12-2013, 06:46 PM
This whole thread cracks me up. My husband has learned by this point that if he doesn't like what we are having for dinner, he is welcome to make a sandwich. I do 90% of the meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking and I don't want to hear it.

And what is his hard-on with mixed veggies?

Yeah, no kidding, the nachos with mixed vegetables was my favorite suggestion on the meal plan.

npace19147
10-12-2013, 11:05 PM
yeah DH would never tell me it sucked. He may request we not have it again. I read the OP's post to him and asked if he would every put together a meal plan for us. He laughed and said he would be in fear for him life stomach and intestinal region if he did.

Did he mean from a digestion standpoint? Or a getting kicked in the area standpoint? And either way, can your DH have a chat with my DH? It would save me a lot of time...

Kestrel
10-12-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm reminded of that Demi Moore movie (can't think of the title at the moment) ... "two nights a week I cook, two nights a week he cooks, two nights we go out... and then there's sandwich night.."

Does anyone really have that equal of meal planning/cooking with their partner????

specialp
10-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm reminded of that Demi Moore movie (can't think of the title at the moment) ... "two nights a week I cook, two nights a week he cooks, two nights we go out... and then there's sandwich night.."

Does anyone really have that equal of meal planning/cooking with their partner????

About Last Night. Too funny. I haven't seen that in years and years, but I always think of that line in that movie everytime my friend says its "sandwich night" at her house.

JBaxter
10-13-2013, 08:39 AM
He was joking meaning I would do something to the food to send him to the bathroom for extended periods of time. ( meaning adding exlax etc) He knew I wouldn't but then again he would never give me a meal plan.

Did he mean from a digestion standpoint? Or a getting kicked in the area standpoint? And either way, can your DH have a chat with my DH? It would save me a lot of time...

California
10-13-2013, 02:59 PM
DH and I trade off week to week on who meal plans/shops/cooks and who does dishes. This is one of the benefits of meeting in college when neither of us could cook! We've learned together but some nights are flops. He has never, ever insulted a meal. Instead he says, "I can definitely say, without a doubt, that this is the best dinner I've had all day." And, "Well, at least I didn't have to cook it." Sometimes followed by "Think I'll make a sandwich." (No reference to movie- as far as I know) Laughter is the best seasoning for a crummy meal! OP, sounds like you've got that going for you.

ahisma
10-13-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm really hoping that you took a pic of the meatloaf / celery combo.

npace19147
10-13-2013, 09:49 PM
We're away for the Columbus Day weekend so the meal plan is out the window. When I'm back on track and make it to meatloaf/celery night, I will finally figure out how to post a pic to share. :)

petesgirl
10-13-2013, 11:21 PM
We're away for the Columbus Day weekend so the meal plan is out the window. When I'm back on track and make it to meatloaf/celery night, I will finally figure out how to post a pic to share. :)

Oh, his meal plan didn't take the holiday weekend plans into consideration? Huh. Guess meal planning takes a little forethought.

boltfam
10-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Oh, his meal plan didn't take the holiday weekend plans into consideration? Huh. Guess meal planning takes a little forethought.

:applause:

npace19147
10-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Hah! You ladies are trying to get me in trouble...actually, I've started over with the famous spaghetti/meatball/corn combo on tap for tonight. :)