PDA

View Full Version : transitioning to sippy or straw cup???

wangstar
10-09-2013, 01:38 PM
DS will be 9 months soon, I'm thinking about transition him off the bottle to start using cups.
A few of the moms at work suggested to skip the sippy cup and go straight to the straw cup because it's better for them.

Thought from the panel???

YouAreTheFocus
10-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I vote straw. We went from bottle to straw too, I think it's just easier all around. It's nice that when you're out, you can always find a straw.

BabyBearsMom
10-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I did sippy because my kids are on the go a lot with their drinks and I hate all the drips and dribbles from the straws. DD1 uses a straw cup now, but if DD2 gets her hands on it, there are drops everywhere. Both girls drink open cups at meal times when we are drinking at the table.

rolypoly27
10-09-2013, 02:26 PM
We skipped the sippy and went straight to a straw cup. One less transition to deal with and straw cups are plentiful at restaurants, etc if you leave yours at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Snow mom
10-09-2013, 04:45 PM
DD could drink out of a straw at that age but we did sippy cups. I guess I don't see what the big deal is with sippies unless you are putting juice or some other teeth rotting substance in them? DS now gets a sippy with his solids and so I guess I'm more of a sippy fan. He doesn't seem to get straws yet.

edurnemk
10-09-2013, 07:54 PM
DD's physical and occupational therapists prefer straw cups. The PT siad the way they have to drink from the sippy is basically the same as a bottle and developmentally straws are better. Something to that effect.

We did both, DD cannot yet suck out of the straws that are spillproof (they have a valve) so we use sippy cups for the diaper bag, but simple straw cups at home.

ETA Not many 9 month olds get the hang of a straw, mine started at around 1 yo. But if you want to try it I can share some tips on how to teach them to use a straw.

AJP
10-09-2013, 08:55 PM
My kids all drank from a straw early on. We started by training with a straw and sippy cup when we started offering water at meals. I wanted them to actually be able to drink it and the only reason I used the sippy was because it took longer to get the hang of the straw. Once they were drinking fine with the straw we only used the sippies if we were out (for water). Formula stayed in the bottle till about 11/12 months. Once we stopped the bottle at one yr, last milk of the night was in a sippy in the glider with a story :)

ArizonaGirl
10-09-2013, 11:10 PM
I think to some degree it is up to the LO and their personal preference.

DS drank from sippies for some time (it took a long time to find one that he was successful with), then transitioned to straws and now will drink from a Contigo or Camelbak cup for water on the go.

DS could not figure out the sippies at all and is a master of the straw cup, we do the Playtex straw cups with the valve and that's how she rolls, she has been using a straw cup since she was about 9 or 10 months old.

HTH