PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose this headache

BabbyO
10-10-2013, 10:43 AM
I've had a headache for at least 3 days. The first day I immediately thought I was dehydrated because I was at a trade show and on the floor all day with less water than I usually drink during a day, though I made sure to drink at least 3 bottles of water.

Yesterday I thought it was residual and that I just needed to keep up with the water, but I'm telling you, I could float away and still no relief on the headache. Ibuprofen hasn't touched it. (Tylenol never does a thing for me).

DH was sick with a nasty cold but I don't seem to be getting that (and he didn't have a headache). Sinuses feel ok. What is the deal?

mikala
10-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Stress?

MSWR0319
10-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Does it hurt worse when you hang your head down?

BabbyO
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Stress?
Probably - I am back in h3ll, I mean the office today! :)

Does it hurt worse when you hang your head down? Nope...just constant ache. Mostly concentrated in the front of my head....but radiates down the center of my head in the middle.

Tondi G
10-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Would caffeine help? Sometimes it does for some people. and if you are a coffee/tea/cola drinker and then don't drink it you can have caffeine withdrawl headaches too. Are you close to getting your period? I sometimes get headaches a few days before my period ... hormones! Stress can definitely do it too. I have recently been reading about migraines and something mentioned was magnesium. A lack of magnesium can be a trigger and apparently a lot of people are deficient. Might be worth taking some magnesium and seeing if that helps? Maybe try alternating Tylenol with Advil ... sometimes it will do the trick. Or Alleve?

mikala
10-10-2013, 02:06 PM
I just reread op and saw your mention of the trade show. We're there any funny smells there? I sometimes get long headaches after exposure to new carpeting or other chemicals. It doesn't trigger runny noses or other allergy symptoms but I get a dull ache in my head.

You might also try a neti pot to see if your sinuses are congested. I'd also try some sort of exercise like yoga or cardiovascular. Heck, even a walk outside might help.

lovin2shop
10-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Neck tension often radiates pain up to the front of the head, is your neck really tight?

BabbyO
10-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Would caffeine help? Sometimes it does for some people. and if you are a coffee/tea/cola drinker and then don't drink it you can have caffeine withdrawl headaches too. Are you close to getting your period? I sometimes get headaches a few days before my period ... hormones! Stress can definitely do it too. I have recently been reading about migraines and something mentioned was magnesium. A lack of magnesium can be a trigger and apparently a lot of people are deficient. Might be worth taking some magnesium and seeing if that helps? Maybe try alternating Tylenol with Advil ... sometimes it will do the trick. Or Alleve?
I'm not a caffeine drinker so I don't know that it would help...but I do have my period and it is definitely changing in intensity, duration, symptoms...so maybe that has something to do with it.

I just reread op and saw your mention of the trade show. We're there any funny smells there? I sometimes get long headaches after exposure to new carpeting or other chemicals. It doesn't trigger runny noses or other allergy symptoms but I get a dull ache in my head.

You might also try a neti pot to see if your sinuses are congested. I'd also try some sort of exercise like yoga or cardiovascular. Heck, even a walk outside might help.

Hmm...I never thought about the carpet at the show....it was EVERYWHERE, that could certainly explain it too. I did take a walk at lunch and it is slightly less intense.

Neck tension often radiates pain up to the front of the head, is your neck really tight? Hehehehehe....just ask my chiropractor! Yes I've been battling some neck issues, but in this case the pain seems to be radiating down from my head, instead up from my neck. Not quite the same as what I've experienced in the past. Still could be related I suppose.

Probably a combo of all of the above...

wendibird22
10-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Could be a mild migraine. I get them usually behind one eye that then radiates down the back of my head to the top of my neck. Excedrin Migraine works for me and I only need to take one (dosage is 2 I believe) and that works even when Tylenol/Motrin doesn't.

Indianamom2
10-10-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm going to guess mild hormonal migraines/headache. I say mild because I get migraines, as well as hormonal ones and that is not how I would describe a normal migraine, other than the length of time and regular meds not helping it go away. Plus mine are usually one-sided. But I'm definitely guessing it is triggered by hormones. Hope you get some relief soon.

brittone2
10-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Hehehehehe....just ask my chiropractor! Yes I've been battling some neck issues, but in this case the pain seems to be radiating down from my head, instead up from my neck. Not quite the same as what I've experienced in the past. Still could be related I suppose.

Does your headache radiate to above your ears/sides of your head? Trap issues can put pressure on a nerve that pierces the trap. Those headaches kind of radiate over your ears and side of head.

MSWR0319
10-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm not a caffeine drinker so I don't know that it would help...but I do have my period and it is definitely changing in intensity, duration, symptoms...so maybe that has something to do with it.

Hmm...I never thought about the carpet at the show....it was EVERYWHERE, that could certainly explain it too. I did take a walk at lunch and it is slightly less intense.

Hehehehehe....just ask my chiropractor! Yes I've been battling some neck issues, but in this case the pain seems to be radiating down from my head, instead up from my neck. Not quite the same as what I've experienced in the past. Still could be related I suppose.

I'm not a caffeine drinker at all, but when I get a headache right before my period, it will go away if I drink a can of Pepsi. Works every time. I think it's a migraine from my period. I didn't always have them, but after I quit nursing DS2 I get one every time.

ETA: There's an Excederin Migrane ( I think that's the one) that has caffeine in it if you don't want to drink some.