PDA

View Full Version : TMI - Blood on stool

MSWR0319
10-10-2013, 10:53 AM
This is totally TMI, but I am panicking here. I just went to the bathroom and notice a darker streak on my stool when I went to flush. It looked like possible blood to me, so I got a plastic fork and used one of the tines to pick up the red spot and put it on toilet paper :bag. It looked like mucusy blood, kinda like when you blow your nose and it's been bleeding inside. It wasn't bright red, but wasn't dark either. My hemorrhoids from delivering DS have been flaring lately and I've been constipated, but have been eating more fiber to relieve that and it seems to be helping. There was a tiny pink spot of blood when I wiped also, so I'm thinking it's hemorrhoid related. I need to go to the doctor right? I'm automatically thinking the worst here, it could potentially just be from my hemorrhoid, right?

Melaine
10-10-2013, 11:04 AM
This is totally TMI, but I am panicking here. I just went to the bathroom and notice a darker streak on my stool when I went to flush. It looked like possible blood to me, so I got a plastic fork and used one of the tines to pick up the red spot and put it on toilet paper :bag. It looked like mucusy blood, kinda like when you blow your nose and it's been bleeding inside. It wasn't bright red, but wasn't dark either. My hemorrhoids from delivering DS have been flaring lately and I've been constipated, but have been eating more fiber to relieve that and it seems to be helping. There was a tiny pink spot of blood when I wiped also, so I'm thinking it's hemorrhoid related. I need to go to the doctor right? I'm automatically thinking the worst here, it could potentially just be from my hemorrhoid, right?

It could definitely definitely be from the hemorrhoids, or a fissure which is also nothing terribly serious....and most likely nothing more! Don't panic. What I would do is call my doctor and describe your exact symptoms just to have a little reassurance and also so that you can ask them their advice to make sure you are treating them as best you can.

ETA: I say get a doctor's opinion because of the whole gastrointerologist rigamarole I just went through....I have tons of tummy issues and have had hemorrhoids for years off and on. A few months ago I started having this dull almost constant rectal pain...almost like I'd been riding a bike or doing some kind of yoga. I wasn't having 'roid symptom at the time. The gastro wanted me to do a colonoscopy and it was all set up when I realized it was going to be over a thousand dollars. So I cancelled. I went through a few more weeks of worry and stress when I finally found some info online about internal hemmorhoids and called the gastro for a prescription for Anusol suppositories. After just one dose the pain improved dramatically and now on day 3 it is nearly gone. I am so relieved but what I am trying to say is that I wish I had known a bit more about the symptoms and had known how to treat them sooner.

sariana
10-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Most likely it is from the hemorrhoid, yes. But give your doctor a call, for peace of mind.

Blue Hydrangea
10-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I would guess hemorrhoid as well and not be worried about it. I think that blood on the stool is usually not a serious problem, blood in the stool is more worrisome, and would make the stool appear black and tarry.

amom526
10-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I would guess hemorrhoid as well and not be worried about it. I think that blood on the stool is usually not a serious problem, blood in the stool is more worrisome, and would make the stool appear black and tarry.

I probably wouldn't even call. If you know you have hemerroids or fissures, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Obviously only you know if you think it's related to that or not. I think the issue is when the stool is actually bloody, not just streaks on the surface which is almost definitely hemerroids or fissures. But definitely call if you are nervous!

MSWR0319
10-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Thank you all for talking me off the ledge! I have been having a ton of trouble with constipation and internal hemorrhoids/ maybe fissueres lately. In fact I just told DH I should probably go see what to do about it. I just need to find a new PCP since my old one left. I won't rush in, but will try to find a new dr and get my yearly check up, and mention it there as long as I have no more issues.