PDA

View Full Version : Labor? How do you know?

Philly Mom
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
So I have read through some old threads asking similar questions and I am still not sure the answer. I am 36 weeks. DD1 was 2.5 weeks early, but I went into labor when my water broke. I had been incredibly busy at work and was utterly exhausted but I attributed that to working too much. Fast forward to now, at my last OB appointment I was measuring two weeks ahead of time and my OB thought the baby could be 7lbs already. As it had only been 2 weeks since my last ultrasound measuring the baby at 5.5 lbs, I think she was wrong. Anyway, that appointment was 10 days ago. My next ultrasound followed by an OB appointment is next Thursday.

Right now, though, I feel awful and tired. I have had various tightening all day and lots of back pain on and off. I am at work so not that easy to just lay down, though I have been drinking lots. I can't imagine it is real labor as it would be very early, but any thoughts on what I should be paying attention to, would be helpful.

ArizonaGirl
10-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I was alerted when I felt like the tightening or back pain came at regular intervals and did not dissipate when laying down, resting.

I know that being at work makes it almost impossible to lay down, but even sitting should calm them if they are not the "real thing."

Good luck and keep us updated

ETA my DS came at 36 weeks and my water broke with him in the middle of the night so I know how you are feeling with regards to knowing if it is the really labor, plus I had a ton of pre-term labor with both PG too.

:hug:

specialp
10-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I would look for a tightening that is rhythmic & doesn’t go away, happening at regular intervals of time and/or increasing in intensity. Pregnant backs ache all the time, but when it starts aching in an on and off pattern, it could be labor.

Philly Mom
10-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Thank you both. On my way home from work, I was convinced I was in labor. After a warm shower and cuddles with DD, the rhythms disappeared though the intermittent discomfort has continued. I am hoping that a good night rest and taking it easy through the weekend helps. Of course, my parents are away this weekend so going into labor now would be incredibly inconvenient. :)

kaharris83
10-11-2013, 08:59 PM
With DS1 my water broke too so I know what you mean. Then with DS2 I woke up thinking maybe what I was feeling was contractions. I laid in bed for 2 hours wondering if I was indeed in labor, convincing myself I wasn't then I was. I had no idea. LOL Then I decided maybe I should time the tightening I was feeling. When I realized they were 5 minutes apart I decided I'd better get to the hospital. Two hours later... Good luck and I hope baby stays put through this weekend!!

Philly Mom
10-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Brief update: definitely was not labor. In the middle of the night/early sat morning, I was truly convinced it was labor. Contractions woke me up and kept me up but there was still no real pattern. I finally fell back asleep and felt better when I woke. Took a long nap on sat when DD napped. By the time I woke up from the nap, all the contractions stopped. Lots of movement so I think baby is fine. Have an us on Thursday followed by an OB appointment. Curious to hear what the docs have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)