PDA

View Full Version : Give it to me straight--hemorrhoid surgery (TMI!)

lalasmama
10-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Title says it all...

I've got a well woman check-up fast approaching, and since my FP doc will be down there anyway, I thought I would beg them for a referral to someone who would make my backside happy again. My "friends" down there are HUGE (seriously about the thickness of my middle finger), and they haven't left in 6 months. I think I've been patient enough, so its time to beg for a referral!

All that being said, now I want real world experience. I've read WebMD, learned how it can be done, but I'm really wanting to know things like... how bad does it really hurt afterwards? How long did it take you to feel like you were back to normal (down there, and eating, and life in general)? Other information I should know before I get this done?

ArizonaGirl
10-13-2013, 11:37 PM
I don't know about the external variety of hemorrhoid; however, my mom has had internal hemorrhoids removed on several occasions. Once was during a colonoscopy and twice in the Dr office.

All three times she was fine and experienced minimal discomfort; however, I don't now how this compares to the external hemorrhoids and their removal.

:hug:, good luck

goldenpig
10-14-2013, 03:27 AM
This is the non-surgical hemorrhoid banding system we use in the office for internal hemorrhoids:
http://www.crhsystem.com/
There's an FAQ section that answers a lot of your questions.
It's a quick 5 min procedure, usually 3 visits over a month. Patients seem to be really happy with the results with minimal discomfort, and the ones who have had surgery before say this is much better.
It isn't for treating external hemorrhoids or skin tags, but most symptoms from hemorrhoids are actually from internal hemorrhoids...you can ask your doctor to check and send a referral to a GI or proctologist to treat your hemorrhoids. Hope you get some relief soon!

kdeunc
10-15-2013, 12:12 PM
I have a negative experience to share. One of my close friends had surgery and it was a terrible experience. She really needed the surgery but she had a horrible time healing afterward. She had to have some type of "revision" work done a few weeks later. It has been about a year and while she is better she still limits her food (no cheese at all, little red meat). I have not asked her lately if she regretted the surgery but immediately afterward she absolutely did. I don't think her example is typical by any means though but you would want to talk about potential negative outcomes with your dr. Good luck!

MSWR0319
10-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Please update this when/if you get it done! I have been thinking about this for awhile, but have been afraid to ask a doctor. Mine are internal and I know were caused by trying to push DS1 out. My pregnancy with DS2 just made them worse and I don't think they're getting any better despite me trying to relieve my constipation. I've read about the band system pp mentioned and I was curious if it really was as easy as it sounds.

mom2binsd
10-20-2013, 09:20 PM
I had internal and external ones and had a hemorroidectomy with staples, I was out for it, and the recovery wasn't too bad, mine were too severe for the band so the surgery was the best best. Unfortunately the external ones didn't dissappear as hoped when they did the surgery, sometimes they get pulled in....however they didn't. I still have two external ones, have had them for 7 years, they change in size sometimes but I don't have the money nor the time for the recovery from the surgery that is required to remove them. (I only paid if I work and I'm a single parent with no extra money)...so they're like my little friends that I live with.

Internal ones don't hurt as much recovery wise as there aren't the nerve ending up there like there are on the outside, sorry if too TMI.

goldenpig
10-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Please update this when/if you get it done! I have been thinking about this for awhile, but have been afraid to ask a doctor. Mine are internal and I know were caused by trying to push DS1 out. My pregnancy with DS2 just made them worse and I don't think they're getting any better despite me trying to relieve my constipation. I've read about the band system pp mentioned and I was curious if it really was as easy as it sounds.

It is really fast and easy. I see people back for multiple visits (usually 3 because we do them one at a time) and they often tell me, "This is so simple, I don't know why I waited so long to do this!"
I would definitely ask your doctor, don't be embarrassed. It's SO common after pregnancies. I had hemorrhoids too after each pregnancy. I asked my OB to let me see someone after DS2 because they were pretty bad, but the surgeon I was referred to said I didn't have any internal hemorrhoids to treat. WTH? (This is Kaiser though and they don't use the same banding system). I was contemplating just doing them myself, LOL. But they got better so I didn't bother. I know I still have them once in a while though.