PDA

View Full Version : Big boys sizing issues

JdrKuhnert
10-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Ds1 is tall enough for size 7, but the rest of him is too slim. It feels like size 8 clothes are not only longer, but much wider. Even brands that fit in the past (Gap & Lands End) are way too large. Boden is still a good fit. I have started shopping at H&M again because their clothes are somewhat slimmer.He looks like he is drowning in his clothes, but we need the length. Is there something that happens at size 8 that boys clothes suddenly become huge? I don't know what we're going to do when we move to size 10.

BabyBearsMom
10-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Are you buying slims? DD1 is very slim and I buy her slim pants from old navy or Gymbo (except she won't wear pants so that is another story...). I also really like Next Direct as their clothes tend to run very slim. My nephew is also slim and I know my sister does the same for him (he is 6yo)

sariana
10-14-2013, 09:16 AM
I have the same problem with DS. I have been buying Skinny jeans, but I don't like the style as well. DS is kind of "preppy," and Skinny jeans tend to be more trendy. But you're right--at size 8 the sizing does change. We need the Skinny style just to get them to look normal on DS's skinny legs.

We have similar problems with long-sleeved shirts. In order to get the length in the arms, he is swimming in the torso part.

crl
10-14-2013, 10:08 AM
I buy slims. Ds can still wear sevens around but needs twelves for length. He has a same height classmate, who is not heavy appearing, who outweighs him by TWENTY pounds (ds is 72 pounds). I buy slims with the adjustable waist and pull them in to keep them from falling off him. He doesn't care if his shirts are big around so he wears regular shirts and they just look like he likes loose comfortable clothes.

LE, Gap and Crazy 8 all sell adjustable waist slim jeans in big boy sizes.

Catherine

KrisM
10-14-2013, 10:34 AM
We buy slims. Not all slims will fit the same. DS1 can't wear Old Navy slims in size 10 in any style. But, he's fine in Lee and Levi. Regulars are enormous.

Simon
10-18-2013, 10:50 PM
We also buy slims with an adjustable waist and cinch them down quite a bit. I agree with Kris that some Old Navy styles are insanely large/wide even in the slim cut. IME, slim Land's End fit pretty well as do Gymbo. Wranglers can be found in some very nice slim cuts without being "skinny" style. Its more like a very straight and narrow leg that isn't clingy. I loved how they looked on Ds1. The waist wasn't adjustable but had elastic in the back of the waist and still fit great.