PDA

View Full Version : Carrying out front

Myira
10-14-2013, 04:37 PM
I just came back from my sister's baby shower and was the first time I saw her pregnant in person. This is her first baby, due early to mid-November(her OB has changed her due date a bit), and she is about 5' 3" and started at probably 110 lbs and gained 30 lbs so far. But she has not gained anywhere or atleast she looks the same so all the weight seems to be just the belly. Also, the striking thing is she is carrying out front so her belly is sticking out really a lot but there is nothing up on top. She mentioned that she has none of the classical symptoms of heartburn or frequent urination. But she is feeling a lot of stretch and feels like her tummy skin is holding up all that weight. She literally holds a hand under her belly when walking mostly.

Anyone carrying/carried similarly? Also, is there something she could use to relive the discomfort, like a supportive belt or something? If so which one?

ArizonaGirl
10-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I carried both of my babies like that, from the back you couldn't tell that I was pregnancy until I started walking (waddling).

I tried a belt for a while but I felt they were uncomfortable and it is quite hot here so I didn't feel like the benefit outweighed the uncomfortable factor.

I will say that I did have terrible all-day sickness, heartburn, and was always afraid I was going to pee my pants (:bag)

specialp
10-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes, I carried one of mine that way. I used a belt and it helped a great deal.

jennilynn
10-14-2013, 06:10 PM
I carried that way, too, and got an Upsie Belly around 35 weeks. It was awesome. http://www.amazon.com/Upsie-Belly-Bandit-Pregnancy-Support/dp/B005XNCCXW
They aren't cheap but it was worth every penny for me, and I wished I had gotten mine sooner. You can also wear it backwards after the baby is born like a belly bandit.

abh5e8
10-14-2013, 06:13 PM
i carried the same way...all weight in the belly and no heartburn/similar sx. i never used a band or anything, but i also didn't have pain out front or any stretch marks. i would say try for more core and back strengthing exercises (but may be too late in this pregnancy to help much).

KLD313
10-14-2013, 09:46 PM
I carried like that with my son. It was brutal and I could barely walk and my midwives said every time I left the office they would comment that I looked really uncomfortable and there was no way I would make it to my due date. DS was born on his due date. Lol. He was also a pretty big baby.

megs4413
10-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I am carrying that way this time and am VERY uncomfortable. you're sweet to want to help (my family keeps telling me to quit whining basically.)

I do notice that I'm more comfortable when I'm wearing my supportive leggings or a belly band. It's too late for me to spring for something else for support since I am delivering very soon, but if i'd known i would be this uncomfortable, I would've done it! My skin on my belly is feeling the strain terribly.

Philly Mom
10-15-2013, 11:04 AM
I carried out front for my first and again now with my second. It is uncomfortable and my skin itches. I have horrible stretch marks from my first and they are getting worse. I had heartburn with my first, not so much with this one. Sitting helps. I agree with Megs, my skin on my belly is feeling the strain. I find it leads to lots of comments about how the baby looks like it is about to come out.

hellokitty
10-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I carried out front with all three of my babies. From the back you couldn't tell I was pregnant. I have to wear those belly belts, not the wimpy ojr from motherhood maternity, but the heavy duty one with all sorts of Velcro straps, in order for me to even walk, without my back really hurting.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

TwoBees
10-15-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm 28 weeks and nearly all of it is in the belly. I have only gained 10 lbs so far and pretty much look like I have a ball under my shirt (and two melons! :6:). I do have on and off discomfort in the area of my pubic bone, and one of the OBs suggested a belt. I have yet to buy one though...trying to put that off as long as possible.

People carry differently. I have a friend who hardly looked pregnant for the entire 9 months. She just looked as if she had gained a lot of weight, all over.

TwoBees
11-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I carried that way, too, and got an Upsie Belly around 35 weeks. It was awesome. http://www.amazon.com/Upsie-Belly-Bandit-Pregnancy-Support/dp/B005XNCCXW
They aren't cheap but it was worth every penny for me, and I wished I had gotten mine sooner. You can also wear it backwards after the baby is born like a belly bandit.

Bumping this thread because I want to thank you for the recommendation for the Upsie Belly. After wearing the Medela support band for a week (bc that's all BRU carried in store) and not finding much relief, I splurged and got the Upsie Belly. What a difference! It is so much more comfortable to wear, and it supports my belly much better. I also like that it comes with a hot/cold pack and has a pocket to hold it in place.