PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap starter bike (no training wheels)?

twowhat?
10-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Don't want to spend too much because I imagine that we want to err on the side of smaller to help build the girls' confidence. They have pretty much mastered their balance bikes but won't go fast on them because they can't stop easily and are much more comfortable with slower speeds. They can pedal a trike very well, and I think they're ready for real bikes but the bikes probably need to be small enough for them to still be able to reach the ground with their feet. Once they've gained confidence we'll move up in size.

Any recs? DD2 is 42 inches tall and DD1 is 40 inches tall, so they are not big kids. They currently ride Striders and it's clear they've outgrown the Striders:) We have the seats all the way up and there's still too much of a bend in their knees.

I'm thinking a B&M store so we can try them out...Target? Willing to go to Amazon as well though.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-14-2013, 11:02 PM
i'd check out CL or local FB garage sale sites. i got DS a 12" Thomas bike for pretty cheap ($20?) that we are going to save to give him for Christmas. if it doesn't work out or we end up wanting something different we can just resell it and regain the $$.

twowhat?
10-14-2013, 11:12 PM
i'd check out CL or local FB garage sale sites. i got DS a 12" Thomas bike for pretty cheap ($20?) that we are going to save to give him for Christmas. if it doesn't work out or we end up wanting something different we can just resell it and regain the $$.

I'd totally do this...if we only needed one. But we need to get 2, and the 2 really need to be the same :/ Last week I searched CL for girls' bikes for twins with no luck...will try again though.

abh5e8
10-14-2013, 11:21 PM
this one is cute... http://www.target.com/p/radio-flyer-girl-s-12-cruiser-bike-pink/-/A-13377724#prodSlot=medium_1_24&term=kids+bike+12%22

but this one is a better price. http://www.target.com/p/mantis-girl-s-lil-maya-12-bicycle-white-pink/-/A-12288310#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=kids+bike+12%22

i don't think they will use them long...i'd just go for somethng inexpensive.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-14-2013, 11:23 PM
I'd totally do this...if we only needed one. But we need to get 2, and the 2 really need to be the same :/ Last week I searched CL for girls' bikes for twins with no luck...will try again though.

ah i see. maybe check out multiples garage sale groups? though i guess they still may not be the same.. the mom who sold me the Thomas bike had triplets (2 boys and a girl)... she had a Cars, Thomas, and a princess bike..luckily i snagged the Thomas as it wasn't as popular as the others :)

and that reminds me, i still need to hunt down FB for a Dora 12" bike for DD who is way too young for a real bike but will totally want one after seeing what DS gets....:)

Momit
10-20-2013, 11:56 PM
When we transitioned DS from a balance bike to a 2-wheeler, I got a 14" bike. It isn't the most common size but it worked great for him - a 12" would have been too small but a 16" would have been unmanageable. Now he is fine on a 16" but for those first few months I was glad for the 14" size.

twowhat?
10-21-2013, 02:43 PM
When we transitioned DS from a balance bike to a 2-wheeler, I got a 14" bike. It isn't the most common size but it worked great for him - a 12" would have been too small but a 16" would have been unmanageable. Now he is fine on a 16" but for those first few months I was glad for the 14" size.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. The Strider wheels are 12 inches and they really look like they're too small but I can't imagine my kids would feel comfortable on a 16 inch...so this makes sense! Not a lot of options in that size though, LOL!