PDA

View Full Version : What's new in breast pumps?

TwoBees
10-15-2013, 01:28 PM
With DD, I had a PISA, which worked fine (I also had tons of milk). It's been put away since I stopped EPing when DD was about 6 months, and I have to check on its condition. If I have to get a new pump, is there anything better out there? I honestly have not looked into breast pumps since registering for DD.

jennilynn
10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
With DD, I had a PISA, which worked fine (I also had tons of milk). It's been put away since I stopped EPing when DD was about 6 months, and I have to check on its condition. If I have to get a new pump, is there anything better out there? I honestly have not looked into breast pumps since registering for DD.

Well definitely call your health insurance company and see what they can get you (for free!) Mine provided a Medela double pump but also had two other options (not Hygeia (http://www.hygeiainc.com/), unfortunately, that would have been my first choice.) The beauty of getting another Medela is all your parts will work with it, so you'll have multiple sets of bottles, tubes, etc.

AngB
10-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Well definitely call your health insurance company and see what they can get you (for free!) Mine provided a Medela double pump but also had two other options (not Hygeia (http://www.hygeiainc.com/), unfortunately, that would have been my first choice.) The beauty of getting another Medela is all your parts will work with it, so you'll have multiple sets of bottles, tubes, etc.

I got a Hygeia and I hate it, I would have loved the Medela instead. I ended up using my old Ameda instead. (The parts are odd shaped and only work with their bottles/etc. and I got much better output on my old pump vs. that one.)

OP- Same old with breast pumps imo, except that insurance now is required to cover it. ("It" can vary widely, but most it seems do cover a double electric of some kind.)

Chitowngirl
10-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Not your specific question, but insurance companies vary widely. Mine only covered a manual pump which I found really annoying.

jennilynn
10-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Not your specific question, but insurance companies vary widely. Mine only covered a manual pump which I found really annoying.

Mine told me that the first three times but I kept asking.

kaharris83
10-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Mine only covered a manual too since I was staying at home. If I was a WOHM they would have covered a double electric. I didn't think that was very fair considering I EP'd for my DS1 and stayed at home. There's no way I could have EP'd for over a year with a manual pump.

ArizonaGirl
10-15-2013, 11:36 PM

:yeahthat: and I work for a major healthcare system, nice huh!

jennilynn
10-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Mine only covered a manual too since I was staying at home. If I was a WOHM they would have covered a double electric. I didn't think that was very fair considering I EP'd for my DS1 and stayed at home. There's no way I could have EP'd for over a year with a manual pump.

How can they even ask whether you stay home or work? That seems discriminatory. There are lots of reasons a SAHM would need a pump!

AngB
10-16-2013, 11:10 PM
How can they even ask whether you stay home or work? That seems discriminatory. There are lots of reasons a SAHM would need a pump!

Mine never asked but I would totally lie and say I was going to be returning to work, if they did ask.

kaharris83
10-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Mine never asked but I would totally lie and say I was going to be returning to work, if they did ask.

I didn't realize why she was asking. I thought she was making small talk. Then she left the room for a minute and I saw on her computer screen it was a question and if the answer was SAH she was to give a manual pump and if it was go to work or school give a double electric. :( I totally wanted to change my answer after that. But DS2 never took a bottle anyway so I never ended up pumping. I still have my Freestyle from DS1 too. But yeah I thought it was totally lame that they did it like that.