PDA

View Full Version : Need help---totally stylishly challenged!

crayonblue
10-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Ok, I need help from the people who are more stylish than me and that would be everyone!

I bought a dress today. I haven't owned a dress in a decade and I am not kidding. Now I need to know what to wear with it.

Here's the exact cut of the dress except mine is all black not the pattern in this link.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/eci-dress-three-quarter-sleeve-belted-a-line?ID=949370&PartnerID=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc=LINKSHARE-_-4-_-36-_-MP436&LinkshareID=J84DHJLQkR4-JGRgECbV7vBzn22nCdLsfQ

Do I wear heels? Do I have to wear heels? Hose? I do NOT have the legs to pull off no heels...way too pale. Do I wear nude hose (do people wear nude hose nowadays?) or black? Something else?

Thanks so much!!!!

DH's birthday is today and we have a date night this weekend and I want to surprise him by looking about 1/10th as stylish as he is. :)

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Options off the top of my head:
Tights and boots
Ballet flats and no hose
Heels and no hose
A patterned tight and heel
Patterned tights and ballet flats

Any of those will work. Great dress! You'll get a lot of use out of it!

specialp
10-15-2013, 06:51 PM
I would wear heels (no hose - and I am pale) or boots.

elbenn
10-15-2013, 07:20 PM
I would either do tights or no hose. Don't worry about your pale legs. I think a belt and tights and boots would look great with that dress.

mom2binsd
10-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Heels, no hose, get some self tanner for your legs, you have a few days, you live in San Diego and unless you work in a law office I've rarely seen hose on people there.

plusbellelavie
10-15-2013, 07:26 PM
:18:

Really a lovely dress! You will be very stylish on your Saturday night date with your DH! Happy Birthday to him!

crayonblue
10-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Oh so many options! No, I don't work in a law office so I guess hose are out, lol!

Tights and boots would be fun. So by tights do you guys mean leggings or actual tights? If I wear boots do you mean knee high boots or short boots? Whatever I get for my legs needs to be inside the boot right?

Dh is the exact same height as me so I've never worn heels since we have been together--for his sake! So if I went the heels direction it would need to be short heels. Or the ballet flats.

Thursday morning I have time to shop so I'll see what I can find. If you have any more input, please feel free to tell me what to do. :)

mackmama
10-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Cute dress! I would not wear hose.
It'd look cute with some colorful heels like yellow or red.
It'd also look cute with black knee boots.
I'd skip a necklace and add a chunky colorful bracelet.

ETA - just saw your last post. Flats would look cute too in a fun color. Heels (even low heels - I never wear above 1.5" personally) would be cuter. If you do boots, only do knee-high. I don't think ankle boots would look great with this dress. Might look too choppy.

HannaAddict
10-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Don't be afraid of heels. I have not met a secure man who hasn't loved heels, even if it makes you taller than them! They don't have to be 3 or 4", but they definitely dress it up a little and make it fun. Nothing against flats, but for going out, i would do a heel. That said, I have some fairly flat boots that get raves by men and women - they go just over the knee. For a heel, go with whatever your comfortable with, in a non-business shoe or a heel in a black boot and tights - not leggings, or even black hose under boots. Have fun going out!!

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Tights- I'd pick ones that covered my feet vs end at the ankles. Yes, you want it to be inside the boot. :) I'd probably pick knee high boots with it vs ankle ones. DSW has some fun ballet flats in good colors- a metallic, a patent black, a patent colored...

crayonblue
10-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Tights- I'd pick ones that covered my feet vs end at the ankles. Yes, you want it to be inside the boot. :) I'd probably pick knee high boots with it vs ankle ones. DSW has some fun ballet flats in good colors- a metallic, a patent black, a patent colored...

OK, I just re-read my post and realize that asking about the leggings/tights being inside the boot didn't come out quite right, LOLOLOLOL! I had no intentions of putting the leggings on top of the actual boot. Ha! I think my brain was imagining the leggings above the boot or inside. OK, I promise I am not THAT stylishly challenged. :)

The girls and I are going to the outlet malls this afternoon and I'll take a quick look...will have more time in the morning.