PDA

View Full Version : Tall Boot questions

acmom
10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
I am looking at a new pair of tall black boots. I live in a cold, snowy climate and would like something that could handle the cold and wet conditions while on errands, at the bus stop etc., but would look cute and could be worn inside without overheating! (I have true snow boots so don't need that). These would mainly be worn with leggings, jeans, cords. I was considering both black Hunters (may need kids bc I am only 5'2") or Keen Bern. Any opinions on those or possible other options?

rin
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM
I really like the Keen Berns! The only thing that might make me hesitate is they mentioned the zippers aren't sealed; I don't know if that would be a dealbreaker, though. I don't live in a super snowy climate, so I don't have a good sense for how much that might matter.

Kindra178
10-16-2013, 10:10 PM
I have actually gone sledding in my Berns and stayed perfectly comfy and dry. I love them! I wear them with Athleta type skirts and dresses and sometimes cheat wear them to work in wet weather with wool sweater dresses.

mikala
10-16-2013, 10:15 PM
I live in a snowy climate and wore the Keen Berns a lot last winter. They were fine for the usual slush and few inches of snow. I usually wear them with tall Smartwool socks for warmth.

acmom
10-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks! Sounds like the Berns would be a good option. Are they hot when you are inside? And does anyone know how tall they are? Tall boots can be tricky for me sometimes bc I am short!

MontrealMum
10-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I have Keen Berns. They're my everyday winter boots. Sure, they're not waterproof enough to stand in a puddle and have dry feet, but they're fine for snow. There's no way I'd wear them inside for any period of time. I'd faint! They are fairly tall - they hit a few inches below my knee and I have long legs.

Kindra178
10-16-2013, 10:36 PM
I have Keen Berns. They're my everyday winter boots. Sure, they're not waterproof enough to stand in a puddle and have dry feet, but they're fine for snow. There's no way I'd wear them inside for any period of time. I'd faint! They are fairly tall - they hit a few inches below my knee and I have long legs.

I am on my second pair. My first pair was fur lined and very warm. My current pair is not lined with fur. I wonder if that's the difference between Bern and Baby Bern?

MontrealMum
10-16-2013, 10:47 PM
I am on my second pair. My first pair was fur lined and very warm. My current pair is not lined with fur. I wonder if that's the difference between Bern and Baby Bern?

Ah, maybe they've been redesigned? Mine are a few years old, and definitely outdoor boots due to the lining.

mikala
10-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks! Sounds like the Berns would be a good option. Are they hot when you are inside? And does anyone know how tall they are? Tall boots can be tricky for me sometimes bc I am short!

I have fairly short legs (usually petite pants or lots of hemming) and the Berns are just under the knee on me and really comfortable. Mine are not lined and I run cold so overheating has never been an issue.

wendibird22
10-17-2013, 08:27 AM
My coworker has the Bern Baby Bern and wears them to work almost daily during the winter with skirts, dresses, etc. She has meetings in other buildings and doesn't want to have to mess with changing into winter boots every time. She loves them and they look super cute.

arivecchi
10-17-2013, 10:31 AM
My go to winter boot is the Ugg Jillian. It's lined but I don't mind my feet being toasty when it's freezing out. I love wearing them with leggings and long sweaters.

Twoboos
10-17-2013, 10:49 AM
My go to winter boot is the Ugg Jillian. It's lined but I don't mind my feet being toasty when it's freezing out. I love wearing them with leggings and long sweaters.

:yeahthat: Have to agree on the Ugg Jillian! Last year between those and Smartwool socks was the first winter I wasn't constantly freezing.

I actually got a different style (can't recall the name) without the buckle around the ankle/back of calf. But I'm thinking of getting another pair... :loveeyes:

ETA: I checked and I got the Broome II. It seems Broomes are discontinued and Jillians are sold out, at least on the Ugg website. A similar pair is the Danton.

acmom
10-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone! I was still kind of debating, but then saw the Keen Berns on amazon for $82 today so I pulled the trigger! Hoping they fit! :)

acmom
10-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Got them today and I really like the look and feel, but one foot feels a little snug (my left foot is a little bigger). Do they stretch at all or would you go up a size?

ett
10-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Got them today and I really like the look and feel, but one foot feels a little snug (my left foot is a little bigger). Do they stretch at all or would you go up a size?

I have the Baby Berns and they do stretch, so I would not go up a size.

mikala
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM

Mine stretched a little in the width, ankles and calves.

ECMom
10-25-2013, 09:57 AM
I have Merrell Captiva boots and love, love them. They are stylish and waterproof. I wear them with wool socks (smartwool). There is not a lining so I don't have to worry about hot feet when I'm inside. I rarely wear my Bogs because my feet get so hot.

http://www.rei.com/product/856600/merrell-captiva-strap-waterproof-boots-womens

acmom
10-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Decided I like the Baby Berns a lot, just not on me. :( The one foot is too snug, but don't think I could go any bigger in my other foot. Plus, I think they are too tall for my short legs!

Other recommendations? I saw the Jillians are discontinued and more than I wanted to spend. Looking for something that works for short legs (I'm 5'2") and can stand up to wet winter weather on errands/school drop off etc. (but not true snow boots) but also be worn throughout the day inside and out. Thanks!

Twoboos
10-25-2013, 08:13 PM
I have Merrell Captiva boots and love, love them. They are stylish and waterproof. I wear them with wool socks (smartwool). There is not a lining so I don't have to worry about hot feet when I'm inside. I rarely wear my Bogs because my feet get so hot.

http://www.rei.com/product/856600/merrell-captiva-strap-waterproof-boots-womens

These are very interesting… how is the shaft? It seems to get mixed reviews, both too loose and too tight.

abh5e8
10-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone! I was still kind of debating, but then saw the Keen Berns on amazon for $82 today so I pulled the trigger! Hoping they fit! :)

thats a great price! what color did you like? i'm tempted...i need something i can ride my bike in. and i have skinny calves, which the review seem to indicate these actually fit. but i don't love the look of the black soles + brown boots. i was thinking black, but the gray is cheaper and very interesting.